Russell Gold (born 1971) is an author and journalist for The Wall Street Journal. He was previously an investigative reporter for San Antonio Express-News and suburban correspondent for The Philadelphia Inquirer.
He is best known for his reporting on the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. He was a Pulitzer Prize finalist  and winner of a Gerald Loeb Award for Distinguished Business and Financial Journalism for Large Newspapers for the Wall Street Journal's coverage of the blowout and spill.
In 2019, he was part of a Wall Street Journal team whose reporting on Pacific Gas and Electric Company and the cause of the Camp Fire (2018) was a Pulitzer Prize finalist in 2020. The reporting was also awarded the Thomas L. Stokes Award for Best Energy and Environment Writing from the National Press Foundation, and a Geral Loeb Award for Beat Reporting.
He received the International Association for Energy Economics Award for Excellence in Written Journalism in 2016.
Gold graduated from Columbia University in 1993 with a degree in history. He is the author of The Boom, a book that explores the history of Fracking, and "Superpower" about renewable energy and Michael Peter Skelly.
The Boom (Simon & Schuster, 2014): In The Boom, Russell Gold examines the issue of fracking through interviews with memorable and colorful characters: a green-minded Texas oilman who created the first modern frack; an Oklahoman natural gas empire–builder who gave the world an enormous new supply of energy but was brought down by his own success; and many others. Russell not only details the history of fracking, but also underscores how the controversial procedure is changing the way we use energy.
- 2020: Thomas L. Stokes Award for Best Energy and Environment Writing from the National Press Foundation
- 2020: Gerald Loeb Award for Beat Reporting
- Wall Street Journal ECO:nomics
- Wall Street Journal Deep Trouble
- Pulitzer Prize website
- "Loeb Award Winners". UCLA Anderson School of Management. June 28, 2011. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- Gerald Loeb website
- https://www.pulitzer.org/finalists/staff-wall-street-journal-0[bare URL]
- "Thomas L. Stokes Award for Best Energy and Environment Writing".
- Trounson, Rebecca (November 13, 2020). "Anderson School of Management announces 2020 Loeb Award winners in business journalism" (Press release). UCLA Anderson School of Management. Retrieved November 13, 2020.
- IAEE website
- Gold, Russell (10 November 2020). Superpower. ISBN 9781501163593.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Russell Gold.|