||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
May 15, 1974 |
Oakland, California, U.S.
Russell Hornsby (born May 15, 1974) is an American theater, television, and film actor. He is best known for his roles as Eddie Sutton on ABC Family's Lincoln Heights, as Luke on the HBO drama In Treatment and as Detective Hank Griffin on the NBC series Grimm.
Early life and education
Hornsby was born in Oakland, California. He was a football player at St. Mary's College High School in Berkeley, California. He auditioned for a spring musical and got the role of the Scarecrow in The Wiz. After that, he became very interested in theatre and acting and was highly involved with the rest of the school theatrical productions. After graduating he studied theater at Boston University from which he graduated with a degree in performance. After graduation, Hornsby continued his studies at Oxford University's British Academy of Dramatic Arts.
After finishing his studies at Oxford, Hornsby moved to New York City and was subsequently cast in leading roles in Off Broadway productions of To Kill a Mockingbird (as Atticus Finch), Joe Louis Blues, and Six Degrees of Separation (as Paul). In the late 1990s, he decided to move to Los Angeles in order to transition into television and film. He has appeared in several different television productions including appearing in recurring roles in Haunted as Detective Marcus Bradshaw and Gideon's Crossing as Chief Resident Dr. Aaron Boise. His other television credits include Grey's Anatomy, Law & Order, and In Justice among others. He also played running back Leon Taylor in ESPN's drama series Playmakers. On the big screen, he has appeared in such films as After the Sunset, Big Fat Liar, Get Rich or Die Tryin', Keep the Faith, Baby, Meet the Parents, and Stuck among others. In 2000, Hornsby appeared in the Off-Broadway production of Jitney for which he won a Drama Desk Award and an Obie Award.
- Bill Nye the Science Guy (1993).... Food Truck Assistant (Season 1, Episode 7: Digestion)
- Law & Order (1999) .... Danny Ruiz
- Meet the Parents (2000) .... Late Night Courier (Right Bag)
- Girlfriends (2001) ......Antoine Childs.... in place of Darius McCrary for one episode
- Gideon's Crossing (2000–2001) .... Dr. Aaron Boies
- Something New (2006) ... Dr. Borcklond
- Big Fat Liar (2002) .... Marcus Duncan
- Haunted (2002).... Marcus Bradshaw
- Playmakers (2003).... Leon Taylor
- After the Sunset (2004) .... Agent Stafford
- Grey's Anatomy (2005) .... Digby Owens
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (2005) .... Alvin Dutch
- Get Rich Or Die Tryin' (2005) .... Odell
- Lincoln Heights (2007) .... Eddie Sutton
- Stuck (2007) .... Rashid
- Army of Two (2008) (VG) .... Tyson Rios
- In Treatment (2009) .... Luke
- The Good Wife (2010) .... Dr. Shawn Wesley
- Suits (TV series) (2011)
- Grimm (2011–present) .... Detective Hank Griffin