Russell House (Andover, Massachusetts)
|MPS||Town of Andover MRA|
|NRHP reference #||82004808|
|Added to NRHP||June 10, 1982|
The Russell House is a historic house at 28 Rocky Hill Road in Andover, Massachusetts.
The weatherboarded Federal-style home was built in 1805. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. The farm encompasses some 11 acres (4.5 ha). The house and farm were owned by Deacon Joseph Russell, a descendant of Robert Russell, a Scotsman, who emigrated to Massachusetts in the seventeenth century and was the first person buried in Andover's newly created South Parish 'Burying-Yard,' as it was called, in 1710 at age 80. Russell's descendants intermarried with the Holt, Abbott, Marshall, Chandler, Dane and other early Andover settler families. The 'Scotland District' name for that section of Andover derives from Robert Russell's Scottish birthplace, and his subsequent name for his landholding which he called 'Scotland farm.'
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Andover, Massachusetts
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Essex County, Massachusetts
- National Park Service (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "National Register of Historic Places, Essex County, Massachusetts".
- Sarah Loring Bailey (1880). Historical Sketches of Andover. p. 512. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- Sarah Loring Bailey (1880). Historical Sketches of Andover. Houghton, Mifflin and Company, Boston. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- William Richard Cutter; William Frederick Adams (1910). Genealogical and Personal Memoirs Relating to the Families of the State of Massachusetts, Vol. IV. Lewis Historical Publishing Company, New York. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- Burke's American Families with British Ancestry: The Lineages of 1,600 Families of British Origin Now Resident in the United States of America, Bernard Burke, Republished by Genealogical Publishing Company, 1975, ISBN 0-8063-0662-9
- Deacon Joseph Russell House and Farm, 28 Rocky Hill Road, Andover, Massachusetts, Andover Historic Preservation
|This article about a National Register of Historic Places listing in Essex County, Massachusetts, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|