|Member of the Victorian Legislative Assembly|
|Assumed office |
25 November 2006
|Preceded by||Brendan Jenkins|
|Born||6 February 1966|
|Political party||The Nationals (2006–17)|
|Profession||Business manager; footballer; football coach|
Russell John Northe (born 6 February 1966) is an Australian politician and a current member of the Victorian Legislative Assembly. Prior to winning preselection by The Nationals for the seat of Morwell, he was a local Australian rules footballer. He resigned from The Nationals in August 2017, and is currently an independent member of parliament.
Early life and education
Political and parliamentary career
Utilising repetitive television advertising and campaigning on the issues of workers rights and bicycle paths, Northe was able to capitalise on divisions within some local branches of the Labor Party to win the seat. Northe doubled The Nationals primary vote, secured with the aid of Liberal Party and ex-Labor independent preferences.
This win also served to help secure The Nationals future as a political party in Victoria. Russell Northe joined fellow parliamentarians Peter Ryan and Peter Hall as The Nationals state parliamentary representatives for Gippsland.
At the 2010 state election, Northe achieved the biggest pro-Coalition swing in the state to transform Morwell into one of the National Party's safest Victorian seats, with a two-party-preferred margin of 16.29% against Labor. Northe won Morwell on the primary vote, polling 56.24% in his own right, and won every polling booth except the small Yallourn North booth, where Labor recorded a narrow majority. With the Liberal/Nationals Coalition winning government, Northe was also appointed as Parliamentary Secretary for Small Business.
Northe has served on the Parliament's Rural and Regional Committee since 2007.
On 28 August 2017, Northe resigned from the National Party due to stress, depression and gambling issues. According to the ABC, he had also accrued significant debts, partly due to gambling.
- Official Website
- Parliamentary voting record of Russell Northe at Victorian Parliament Tracker
- Rural & Regional Committee – Parliament of Victoria
- Parliament of Victoria Parliamentary Handbook
- "2008 Gippsland By-election". 10 July 2008. Retrieved 24 January 2010.
- "Nationals MP to quit party over gambling, depression". ABC News. 28 August 2017. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- Antony Green (2006). "Key Seats by Party and Margin". ABC News Online. Retrieved 24 January 2010.
- "Nationals' resurgence continues in Vic election". 27 November 2006.
- Guerrera, Orietta (27 November 2006). "Dogged Nationals stare down the doomsayers". The Age. Melbourne.
|Victorian Legislative Assembly|
| Member for Morwell
|This article about a National Party of Australia politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|