|No. 8 – New York Giants|
September 17, 1990 |
|Height:||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight:||195 lb (88 kg)|
|High school:||Houston (TX) Cypress Ridge|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2017|
Russell Shepard (born September 17, 1990) is an American football wide receiver and special teamer for the New York Giants of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Louisiana State University and was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Philadelphia Eagles. Shepard has also played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Carolina Panthers.
High school career
Although Shepard was heavily recruited by Texas and received interests from Florida, Michigan, and USC, he announced his decision to accept a scholarship from Louisiana State University on March 3, 2008. He committed to LSU since he believed he would get the best chance at playing quarterback there. Texas told Shepard that if he didn't win the starting job at quarterback, then he could play other positions. USC likewise found him to be a Reggie Bush-type player in their offense.
He graduated high school in December 2008 to start his college career a semester early. Shepard stated that he intended to learn the team's football system during LSU's spring practices that year.
As a senior, the 6-1, 179-pound Shepard rushed for 1,946 yards and 28 touchdowns and threw for 1,843 yards and 20 touchdowns. Shepard also led Cy-Ridge to a 17-5A district championship in 2007. Alongside Matt Barkley, Shepard was considered the top quarterback of the high school class of 2009 by both Rivals.com and Scout.com before converting to wide receiver upon arriving at LSU.
Awards and honors
- Selected to the 2008 All-Greater Houston Team by the Touchdown Club of Houston.
- Won the 2008 Offensive Player of the Year award given by the Touchdown Club of Houston.
- First-team selection on Dave Campbell’s Texas Football Super Team
- 2009 PARADE All-American
Shepard played college football for LSU.
Shephard was signed as an undrafted free agent following the 2013 NFL Draft.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
After leading the team in special teams tackles in 2014, Shepard was named special teams captain for the 2015 season, a role he would reprise in the 2016 season.
On March 10, 2017, Shepard signed a three-year contract with the Carolina Panthers. On September 10, 2017, against the San Francisco 49ers in Week 1, he had two receptions for 53 yards, which included a 40-yard touchdown reception from quarterback Cam Newton. He finished the season with 17 receptions for 202 yards and one touchdown.
On May 14, 2018, Shepard was released by the Panthers.
New York Giants
Shepard's mother is a medical recruiter for a local hospital, and his father runs his own construction business.
- "Shepard out to prove he belongs at quarterback".
- "2009's TERRELLE PRYOR?: Dual-threat QB Russell Shepard has U-M at the top of his list".
- Williams, Brandon C. (2008-03-04). "Cy Ridge's Shepard says he's going to LSU". Houston Chronicle.
- "LSU lands top prospect, recruiter -- all in one". CNN. January 1, 2009. Retrieved May 23, 2010.
- "Shepard stays grounded through recruiting process".
- "LSU already giddy about Shepard era".
- "2009 Under Armour All-America Game Player Profiles".
- http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/espnu150?&season=2009&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fespnu150%3f%26season%3d2009 Retrieved 2009-03-18
- "Russell Shepard".
- "Russell Shepard - Scout.com".
- "Dual-threat QBs Pryor, Shepard have similar skills".
- "Matthews honored by TD Club tonight".
- "Shepard, Stewart win TD Club honors".
- "Getting to know the Elite 11, the state of Texas' top recruits".
- "Meet PARADE's All-America High School Football Team".
- "Buccaneers claim DT Chris Jones off waivers, add Russell Shepard in some capacity".
- "Buccaneers Name Six Team Captains".
- Henson, Max (March 10, 2017). "Panthers sign Russell Shepard". Panthers.com.
- Strickland, Bryan (May 14, 2018). "Panthers release Russell Shepard". Panthers.com.
- Eisen, Michael (May 22, 2018). "Giants sign wide receiver Russell Shepard". Giants.com.