Russell Square, Perth
The eastern boundary is on Parker Street, which is the location of the Saints Constantine and Helene Greek Orthodox Cathedral, and the Hellenic Community Centre. Shenton Street is the western boundary of the square. Russell Square was created some time between 1838 and 1845; it appears on 1845 maps of Perth, but not on 1838 maps.
It has also been known as Parco dei Sospire ("The Park of Sighs") as it was the favoured meeting place of the Italian community of "Little Italy".
In the early 1990s it was reviewed in planning studies. In October 1994 Russell Square was upgraded, and thirty sculptures were designed and created by local artists Greg James and Drago Dadich.
- "Perth names". The West Australian. Perth: National Library of Australia. 10 December 1938. p. 4. Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- Yiannakis, John N; Hellenic Community of Western Australia (2012), The 75th anniversary of Greek Orthodox Church of Saints Constantine and Helene, Perth : an outline history of events leading to its consecration, Hellenic Community of Western Australia, ISBN 978-0-646-58480-5
- Hellenic Community of Western Australia, 50th anniversary : 1923–1973, retrieved 22 March 2013
- Western Australia: An atlas of human endeavour: 1829–1979. Western Australia: Government Printer. 1979. p. 48.
- "Perth 18a. Plan of Perth Township showing Lots, Streets & Lakes from Mt Eliza in West to Walters & Claise Brooks in East, Lakes Henderson & Poulett to North & St Georges Terrace in South. Unsigned, probably Hillman, 1838 [scale: 6 chains to an inch]". State Records Office of Western Australia. Series S235 Original Plans – Townsites, Item 289. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Perth 18F. Copy of Plan of Perth Townsite Map 18E (see Map 18E for details) added notation of Fieldbook 2 p. 9 by W. Phelps, 1859-60 [scale: 6 chains to inch, Tally No. 005728]". State Records Office of Western Australia. Series S235 Original Plans – Townsites, Item 297. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 23 December 2009. Retrieved 25 March 2012.
- Western Australia. Dept. of Planning and Urban Development; Donaldson and Warn Consultant Architects; Perth (W.A. : Municipality). Council (1991), Northbridge study : final report 1991 [Draft] (1st ed.), Perth, W.A, retrieved 22 March 2013
- http://www.perthfestival.com.au/What%27s-On/Eat-Drink-Go/Venues/Russell-Square[dead link]
|This Perth location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|