Russian Intelligence Community
The Intelligence Community in Russia (Спецслужбы России) is a complex series of intelligence agencies operating under the supervision of the National Security Council of Russia (Совет Безопасности Российской Федерации).
The governmental services responsible for gathering foreign intelligence are:
- Foreign Intelligence Service (SVR) – The Foreign Intelligence Service reports directly to the President of Russia.
- GRU – Main Intelligence Directorate of the Russian Armed Forces.
- 12th Chief Directorate – 12th Directorate of the Ministry of Defense, responsible for Nuclear Security.
The intelligence system within Russia includes many security services:
- Federal Security Service (FSB) – The Federal Security Service is responsible for counter-intelligence, state security and anti-terrorist operations
- FSTEK – Federal Service for Technic and Export Control (Федеральная служба по техническому и экспортному контролю); responsible for information security and protection of Russian technology
- FSO – Federal Protective Service, responsible for bodyguard services in Russia
- GUSP – The Main Directorate for Special Programs is a special department in the Presidential Administration, responsible for governmental bunkers, fallout shelters, and the protection of the institutions of the Russian Federal Government.
- FTS – Federal Customs Service of Russia.
- Rosfinmonitoring – The Federal Financial Monitoring Service: Russian financial intelligence, responsible for combating money laundering and terror financing.
- FSKN – Federal Anti-Narcotics Service, responsible for counter-drug operations (dissolved in 2016)
- FSKA – Federal Anti-Alcoholic Service, combating fake or unlicensed alcoholic products
- MVD – The Federal Ministry for Internal Affairs, responsible for law enforcement
- Politsiya – Russian Federal Police
Presidential, Governmental and Parliamentary supervision
Department of Legal Security Affairs under the State Law Directorate of the Presidential Administration is the presidential body responsible for oversight over all security and intelligence in Russia.
State Duma and Federation Council
Parliamentary supervision over the intelligence community in Russia is undertaken by the Federation Council's Committee for Security and Defense, and The Committee for Security and Anti-Corruption of the State Duma, which supervises the Intelligence and Security Forces.
Government's Administrative Department
Governmental supervision over the intelligence community is undertaken by the Administrative Department of the Government of Russia.
- Heads of Department
- Sergey Stepashin (1995–1998)
- Dmitry Ryzhkov (1998–2004)
- Mikhail Lichagin (2004–2013)
- Sergei Protsenko (Since 2013)