Russian River Brewing Company
725 4th Street|
Santa Rosa, CA, 95404
|Owner||Vinnie Cilurzo, Natalie Cilurzo|
Russian River Brewing Company was created in 1997 when Korbel Champagne Cellars of Guerneville, California decided to try their hand at brewing beer. Brewer Vinnie Cilurzo was hired as brewmaster. Brettanomyces, Cilurzo's favorite component of lambic beers, were first used with local wine barrels in 1999 for production of sour beers. Korbel quit the brewing business, and sold the brewery to Cilurzo and his wife Natalie in 2002. Russian River, remodeled and expanded in 2004, eventually moving to Santa Rosa, at their current 4th Street location. Cilurzo is regarded as one of the most innovative microbrewers in the country and credited with inventing the beer style Double India Pale Ale, known alternately as Imperial IPA, when he was the head brewer at Blind Pig Brewing Company in Temecula, California.
In addition to the 20 barrel brewpub (capable of about 3000 barrels per year), Russian River also has a 50 barrel production brewery, originally from Dogfish Head Brewery. In late 2014, the production facility is being updated with a four vessel, 50 barrel brewhouse made by AAA Metal Fabrication in Beaverton, Ore. Russian River has distributors in California, Colorado, Oregon, and Pennsylvania. A coolship is used to cool the wort for some of the beers. Barrels of beer are stored in their barrel warehouse and begin tasting after 9 months, though can be aged up to two years before blending.
- Aud Blonde - Blonde Ale
- Beer Esteam - California Common Steam Beer
- Blind Pig IPA - India Pale Ale
- Dead Leaf Green - English-Style Pale Ale
- Gaffers - English-Style Pale Ale
- Great Beer/Great Wine - Winemaker Session Ale
- Happy Hops - Hopped-up Blonde Ale
- Hop2It - Single Hop Ale (Rotating)
- Hopfather IPA - India Pale Ale
- HUGElarge Pils - Pilsner
- O.V.L. Stout - Dry Irish Stout (100% nitrogen)
- Pliny the Elder - Double India Pale Ale
- Pliny the Younger - Triple India Pale Ale
- Row 2 Hill 56 - American Pale Ale (Single Hop: Simcoe)
- Russian River IPA - India Pale Ale
- Russian River Porter - Porter
- Segal Select - Pale Ale (Hops from Segal Ranch)
- Shadow of a Doubt - Imperial Porter
- Benediction - Abbey-style Double
- Damnation - Golden Ale
- Damnation Batch 23 - Belgian gold aged with oak chips
- Defenestration - Hoppy Blonde Ale
- Deification - Pale Ale
- Erudition - Saison
- Little White Lie - Witbier
- Mortification - Quadrupel
- Perdition - Bier de Sonoma
- Publication - Saison
- Redemption - Blonde Ale
- Rejection - Black Ale
- Salvation - Strong Dark Ale
- Beatification - Spontaneously fermented beer
- Compunction - Aged with pluots
- Consecration - Strong dark ale aged in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels with black currants
- Framboise For A Cure - Blonde ale aged in chardonnay barrels with raspberries
- Propitiation - Porter
- Sanctification - Blonde aged in stainless steel tanks with 100% Brettanomyces
- Supplication - Brown Ale aged in pinot noir barrels
- Temptation - Blonde Ale aged in chardonnay barrels
- Toronado 20th Anniversary - A blend of 6 aged beers
- Toronado 25th Anniversary - A blend of 6 aged beers
- Brux (with Sierra Nevada)
- Collaboration Not Litigation (with Avery, a result of a conflict between the two breweries, both of which made a beer called Salvation)
Russian River Brewing Company and Vinnie Cilurzo have won numerous awards for their beer.
- 1999 Great American Beer Festival - "Small Brewing Company of the Year"
- 1999 Great American Beer Festival - "Small Brewing Company Brewmaster of the Year"
- 2004 World Beer Cup - "Large Brewpub Champion Brewery"
- 2004 World Beer Cup - "Large Brewpub Champion Brewmaster"
- 2005 Malt Advocate - "Brewery of the Year"
- 2006 World Beer Cup - "Large Brewpub Champion Brewery"
- 2006 World Beer Cup - "Large Brewpub Champion Brewmaster"
- 2008 Russell Schehrer Award - Awarded to Vinnie Cilurzo for "Innovation in Craft Brewing"
Individual beer awards
|Aud Blonde||Blonde Ale||2010 World Beer Cup Bronze, 2006 Great American Beer Festival Bronze|
|Blind Pig||India Pale Ale||2009 Great American Beer Festival Bronze, 2008 Great American Beer Festival Silver, 2007 Great American Beer Festival Silver, 2006 World Beer Cup Gold, 1996 World Beer Cup Silver,[i] 1996 Great American Beer Festival Silver[i]|
|Damnation||Belgian-style Ale||2004 Great American Beer Festival Silver, 2001 Great American Beer Festival Silver, 1999 Great American Beer Festival Gold|
|English Extra Special Bitter||Extra Special Bitter||1996 Great American Beer Festival Gold[i]|
|Golden Wheat||Wheat Ale||2001 Great American Beer Festival Gold, 1999 Great American Beer Festival Silver|
|HopTime Harvest||Fresh Hopped ale||2012 Great American Beer Festival Silver|
|Old Blue Granite||Barley Wine||1996 Great American Beer Festival Bronze[i]|
|O.V.L. Stout||Dry Stout||2004 World Beer Cup Gold|
|Perdition||Farmhouse Ale||2004 World Beer Cup Silver|
|Pliny The Elder||Imperial India Pale Ale||2006 World Beer Cup Gold, 2006 Great American Beer Festival Gold, 2005 Great American Beer Festival Gold, 2004 Great American Beer Festival Bronze|
|Redemption||Blonde Ale||2008 Great American Beer Festival Gold|
|Russian River ESB||Extra Special Bitter||1999 Great American Beer Festival Gold|
|Russian River IPA||India Pale Ale||2000 World Beer Cup Gold|
|Russian River Porter||Robust Porter||2010 World Beer Cup Bronze, 1998 Great American Beer Festival Bronze, 1997 Great American Beer Festival Silver|
|Salvation||Strong Dark Ale||2008 World Beer Cup Gold, 2002 World Beer Cup Silver|
|Sanctification||Brett Blonde||2013 Great American Beer Festival Silver|
|Supplication||Sour Brown Ale||2012 World Beer Cup Bronze, 2009 Great American Beer Festival Bronze, 2007 Great American Beer Festival Silver, 2005 Great American Beer Festival Silver|
|Temptation||Sour Blonde Ale||2010 Great American Beer Festival Silver, 2008 World Beer Cup Silver, 2007 Great American Beer Festival Silver, 2006 World Beer Cup Gold, 2004 Great American Beer Festival Silver, 2003 Great American Beer Festival Silver, 2002 Great American Beer Festival Gold|
- brewed as Blind Pig Brewing Company
- "Pliny the Indie: Russian River Brewing's rise to craft beer folk hero". San Francisco Chronicle. October 29, 2015. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- "Russian River Brewing Company -- About Us".
- "Barrel Aged Beers". Russian River Brewing Company. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- Anderson, Lessley (September 8, 2008). "Vinnie Cilurzo Gets Funky: The daring beers of Russian River Brewing Company". CHOW.
- "Brew-Monkey's Brewer Interview of Vinnie Cilurzo from Russian River Brewing Company". Brew-Monkey.com. May 2, 2007. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- "Russian River's First Brew Day, Part 2". Brookston Beer Bulletin. May 9, 2008. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
The new brew kettle, formerly at Dogfish Head Brewery in Delaware.
- Roberts, James. "The coolship is landing". Anchorage Press. Archived from the original on 26 September 2013. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- Vinnie Cilurzo Interviewed, retrieved 2010-02-20