Special Operations Forces (Russia)
|Special Operations Forces|
|Sily spetsial’nykh operatsii (SSO)|
|Active||2009; (operational from 2013 - present)|
|Branch||Special Operations Forces Command|
|Part of||Russian Armed Forces|
|Garrison/HQ||Kubinka-2, Moscow region|
|Engagements||Counter-piracy operations (allegedly)
The Special Operations Forces of Russia, or SOF (Russian: Силы специальных операций; ССО, tr. Sily spetsial’nykh operatsii; SSO) are strategic-level special forces under the Special Operations Forces Command (Russian: командование сил специальных операций; KCCO, tr. Komandovanie sil spetsial’nalnykh operatsii; KSSO, or KSO) of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation.
The first units of what would become the Special Operations Forces were transferred from the GRU in 2009 as part of the continuing 2008 Russian military reform. The Special Operations Forces Command was set up in 2012 and announced in March 2013 by the Chief of the General Staff Valery Gerasimov. According to Gerasimov, the SOF was designed as a strategic-level asset, whose primary missions would be foreign interventions, including sabotage and anti-terrorism operations. SOF do not belong to any branch of the Russian armed forces and are distinct from the Special Forces of the Main Directorate of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces that until 2010 were under the Main Intelligence Directorate (GRU) and whose subsequent subordination appears to be unclear. Russia's SOF are manned exclusively by professional personnel hired on contract, in commissioned officer positions.
In February 2015, President of Russia Vladimir Putin decreed that 27 February be the Day of the SOF to mark, according to Russia's official news media (albeit not acknowledged formally), the establishment of Russian control over the building of the Supreme Council of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea in Simferopol, Ukraine, in February 2014.
- 1 Mission and methods
- 2 History
- 3 Known operations
- 4 Casualties
- 5 Structure
- 6 Weapons
- 7 Equipment
- 8 Transport Vehicles
- 9 Notable members
- 10 Gallery
- 11 See also
- 12 References
Mission and methods
The Forces are a highly mobile, well-trained and equipped, constant combat readiness special operations force of the Russian Ministry of Defense, designed to perform specific tasks in order to protect the interests of Russian Federation (with application of military force, by necessity), both within the country and abroad, in peacetime and in wartime.
The Russian Ministry of Defense defines the term "special operation" as "methods and ways of fighting not characteristic of conventional forces: reconnaissance and sabotage, subversion and sedition, counter-terrorism, counter-sabotage, counterintelligence, guerrilla, counter-guerrilla and other activities".
SOF have been primarily involved in Syria, conducting target acquisition for Russian Air Force combat planes conducting airstrikes and Russian Navy sea-launched cruise missile strikes, acting as military advisors training Syrian government troops, seek and destroying critical enemy objects,disruption behind enemy lines through ambushes, high value targeted assassinations and retaliation strikes against select groups of fighters.
In 2009, as a part of the comprehensive reform of the Russian Federation's Armed Forces, Special Operations Directorate, subordinate directly to the Chief of the General Staff, was created on the basis of the GRU's special missions unit Senezh in the Moscow region. The unit saw extensive action in the Caucasus region and earned the nickname "podsolnukhi" (sunflowers), a nickname given to the soldiers assigned to the unit while serving in Chechnya. It was reported that Colonel Oleg Martianov, who later became a member of the board of the Military-Industrial Commission, was one of the founders and first commander of the SOF in 2009−2013.
On 6 March 2013 the Chief of General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces Valery Gerasimov announced the beginning of the Special Operations Forces creation. While speaking to foreign military attaches in Moscow, he said: "After reviewing the practice of the formation, training and the use of special operations forces in the leading countries of the world, Russia's Defense Ministry has also begun to create them... A corresponding command was created, which is engaged in planning work and implements plan of training of the Armed Forces... A set of documents has already been elaborated to determine the direction of development, methods of training and application of these forces".
In March 2013, according to Russian media reports, creation of the Special Operations Center of the Ministry of Defense of Russia for around 500 professional soldiers began in the suburban village of Kubinka-2. Formation of the Center was scheduled to be completed by the end of 2013. The center was directly subordinated to the Special Operations Forces Command of the Russian Ministry of Defense.
At the end of April 2013, units of Special Operations Forces conducted a special tactics exercise at Elbrus mountains at the height of 4,5 kilometers. The exercise was dedicated to practice transportation of one of the SSO units by military transport aviation and army aviation, as well as air insertion of personnel and cargo into target area.
On 11 December 2017, SOF units provided security for the visit of Russian President Vladimir Putin at the Khmeimim Air Base by covering the most dangerous directions from sea, air and land. Vladimir Putin later personally thanked all the military personnel involved for their exemplary performance of the task.
- In 2014, unidentified men with military weapons began blockading Ukrainian bases in Crimea, and on February 27, around 50 men seized the Crimean parliament. While claiming to be a local militia, this well-armed and highly professional unit turned out to be the first deployment of Russia's special operators. In another incident on March 18, the undercover operatives stormed and captured the military base in Simferopol. According to Russian media reports, the commander of SOF then was Alexey Dyumin, who personally conducted all operations in Crimea.
- SOF have been tasked in recovering the flight recorder of Russia's downed Su-24M back in November 2015, on the same day rescuing the surviving crew of one of the two Mi-8AMTsh helicopters downed by Syrian Turkmen Brigade militants in a CSAR operation which had been searching for the crew of the Su-24.
- SOF operations; began in January 2016 with the successful Latakia offensive, played a crucial role in the Palmyra offensive, provided support to the Syrian Army attempting the recapturing of Raqqa and throughout the Syrian push for Aleppo in the same year. They returned during the Second battle of Palmyra in 2017 and saw action throughout the year in Eastern Homs offensive, Operation Grand Dawn, East Hama offensive, Operation Khuzam and the entirety of Eastern Syria campaign. SOF contributed to the success of Rif Dimashq Governorate campaign in 2018 and participated in Operation Dawn of Idlib in 2019.
- In 2017, a commander of a special missions detachment was awarded a Gold Star and named a Hero of the Russian Federation after his 16-man unit managed to successfully repulse multiple attacks conducted by an estimated 300 jihadists without loss back in November 2016, after being surrounded and abandoned by their Syrian allies. Three other operators from the same unit were also awarded honors.
- On 16 August 2017, a 4-5 man SOF unit was ambushed by 40 Daesh terrorists in the village of Akerbat and being abandoned by Syrian soldiers. After all the other members of his unit were injured, including the commander and the second officer, Lance corporal Denis Portnyagin took upon the whole job himself and killed 14 terrorists in the process and was even ready to blow his grenades to prevent their capture. He was awarded the honorary title of Hero of the Russian Federation for this feat.
- On 20 September 2017, the Russian General Staff said jihadist militants tried to capture a 29-man unit of the Russian military police two days before, whom were monitoring the ceasefire in the Idlib de-escalation zone. The trapped unit fought for several hours but were eventually rescued in a special operation by a joint task force which included the Syrian Air Force, Russian Air Force and the SOF. Three members of the SOF were injured, but suffered no fatalities. An estimated 850 jihadists were reportedly killed in the offensive.
- On 27 September 2017, Russian Defense Ministry's spokesman Major General Igor Konashenkov stated that 5 HTS commanders and 32 militants were killed in a special operation executed by the SOF in coordination with the Russian Air Force which delivered a surgical missile strike on the location of the meeting attended by the HTS field commanders south of Idlib. The commanders were believed to be behind an attack on the group of Russian military police back on September 18. A similar operation was carried out on October 3 in Deir ez-Zor which killed 12 HTS commanders, HTS security service chief Ahmad al-Ghizai and about 37 militants.
- On 12 January 2018, the Russian Defense Ministry announced that the group of militants responsible for a massive mortar attack targeting the Russian Hmeymim base in Syria on 31 December 2017 which killed two Russian soldiers were assassinated in the course of a special operation. SOF operatives tracked the fighters to their base camp near the border of Idlib and were "destroyed by a Krasnopol guided missile" as they were leaving the base according to the ministry. No mentions were made of which group the militants were affiliated to.
- In 2019, SOF were suspected to be responsible for multiple raids behind enemy lines killing scores of rebel fighters including two prominent commanders from Ahrar al-Sham and Jaysh al-Nasr. Others killed were from Suqour Al-Sham, Hurras Al-Deen and other various rebel factions. Allegedly, 3 members of unit were killed or injured when an ambush was thwarted by National Liberation Front. 
- During the Battle of Palmyra in March 2016, Senior lieutenant Alexander Prokhorenko was killed after he ordered an airstrike on his location after being surrounded by ISIL fighters and out of ammunition. He was posthumously awarded the honorary title of Hero of the Russian Federation for the heroic feat. Prokhorenko's death garnered international media attention.
- Special Purpose Center "Senezh"
- Special Purpose Center "Kubinka-2"
- 561st Naval Rescue Center
- 344th Army Aviation Combat Center
While official numbers are classified, between Senezh and Kubinka-2 there are between 2,000 and 2,500 total personnel. Additionally, the Command also has supporting elements, that provide Combat Support and Combat Service Support functions. Furthermore, the Command has a dedicated special aviation brigade that directly controls combat aviation assets at Torzhok, and a squadron of Ilyushin Il-76 transport aircraft at the Migalovo airfield near Tver.
The training of the officer recruit special operators is carried out in the Ryazan Higher Airborne Command School – RVVDKU (department of special and military intelligence and the department of the use of special forces) and the Novosibirsk Higher Military Command School – NVVKU (department of special intelligence and the chair of the special reconnaissance and airborne training). At Senezh, potential operators learn skydiving, mountaineering, swimming and scuba diving, and storming buildings and homes, while Kubinka-2 focuses on maritime operations and recon and controls several naval special operations detachments. There is also a cold weather/mountaineering training centre at Mount Elbrus named "Terskol," in Kabardino-Balkaria. Additionally, depending on the individual tasks the soldiers are being prepared for, the training is more in-depth.
- Arcteryx LEAF kit
- Special Operations Forces kit for extremely hot climate
- Propper Multicam BDU
- Tactical Performance ATACS FG Tactical Field Jacket / Tactical Combat Pants
- Tactical Performance ATACS FG Battle Strike Uniform Coat / Trousers
- Tactical Performance Multicam Tactical Field Jacket / Tactical Combat Pants
- Tactical Performance Multicam Battle Strike Uniform Coat / Trousers
- Tactical Performance Multicam Tactical Combat Shirt
- Phantom special thermal underwear
- Ratnik VKBO EMR camouflage combat uniforms
- Arctic raid suit "Nanuk," other special equipment for low temperatures
- «Voin-Kiver RSP»
- LSHZ 1+
- 5,45 Design Spartan 1
- 5,45 Design Spartan 2
- 5,45 Design Spartan 3
- 6Sh112 LBV
- 6Sh117 LBV
- 6B43 armor vest
- «Redut-M» armour vest
- STICH PROFI® Loading system plate carrier
- STICH PROFI® Lightweight plate carrier
- FORT Defender 2
- 5.11 Tactec Plate Carrier
- ARS ARMA Tactec Plate Carrier
- Raidgear&MBC "Phantom" universal Plate Carrier
- Raidgear&MBC MBSVest Type 2 and 3 Molle Minus universal bodyarmor
- Various Crye Precision, Survival corps, SSO/SPSON, Gear Craft, Wartech, FORT, ANA tactical, ARSARMA, Armocom plate carriers
- FORT «Fortres K14» protective suit
- FORT «Raid-L» protective suit
- PMK gas mask
- GKN-7 diving suit
- «Aqualung Amphora» rebreather
- «Veer-6» ballistic shield
- PT-2 thermal monocular
- Peltor Com Tac XP headset
- NRS-2 special scout knife
- ZALA UAVs
- Strelets reconnaissance, control and communications system
- «Arbalet» parachute system
- BRP SEA-DOO GTX LTD PWC
- BRP SEA-DOO RTX-215 PWC
- BK-16 and BK-10
- RBS BlackShadow DPVs (Diver Propulsion Vehicles)
- Alexander Prokhorenko †
- Denis Portnyagin
- Vadim Vladimirovich Baykulov
- Alexey Nikolaevich Goynyak †
- Ivan Cheremisin †
- Igor Melyantsev † (non-hostile)
- Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) - U.S. equivalent command
- Kommando Spezialkräfte (KSK) - German equivalent command
- Armed Forces Special Operations Division (AFSOD) - Indian equivalent command
- People's Liberation Army Special Operations Forces - Chinese equivalent command
- United Kingdom Special Forces (UKSF) - U.K. equivalent command
- Canadian Special Operations Forces Command (CANSOFCOM) - Canadian equivalent command
- Special Operations Command (SOCOMD) - Australian equivalent command
- "Little green men"
- List of military special forces units
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Special Operations Forces of Russia.|
- https://www.rbth.com/science-and-tech/329610-5-legendary-russian-special-forces |date=6 Nov 2019
- Михайло Глуховський (27 February 2014). "Рефат Чубаров: Людей, які захопили будівлю Верховної Ради Криму, контролює Москва". Главком. Retrieved 2 March 2017.
- Mezzofiore, Gianluca (March 18, 2014). "Ukrainian Navy Man 'Killed' as Russian Troops Storm Simferopol Military Base". International Business Times. Yahoo! News Network. Archived from the original on March 23, 2014. Retrieved March 23, 2014.
- https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-3430622/Russian-military-officer-killed-Islamic-State-shelling-Syria.html |date retrieved=26 Oct 2019
- https://www.rt.com/news/337023-russian-special-forces-syria/ |date=29 Oct 2019
- https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-russia-death-idUSKCN0WQ28Z |date=29 Oct 2019
- Leith Fadel (6 June 2016). "Another ISIS village captured as the Syrian Arab Army marches towards Raqqa". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 10 June 2016.
- https://www.wsj.com/articles/russian-special-forces-seen-as-key-to-aleppo-victory-1481884200 |date=18 Oct 2019
- https://www.wsj.com/articles/russian-special-forces-seen-as-key-to-aleppo-victory-1481884200 |date=18 Oct 2019
- Sputnik. "Russian Aviation, Special Forces Play Key Role in Crushing Daesh Near Palmyra". sputniknews.com. Archived from the original on 2017-10-11. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/russian-special-forces-arrive-west-palmyra/ |date=29 Oct 2019
- https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/russian-forces-arrive-southern-syria/ |date=29 Oct 2019
- name="russian">Fadel, Leith (12 February 2017). "Russian special forces arrive in west Palmyra". al-Masdar News.
- https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-41035961 |date=29 Oct 2019
- https://www.rt.com/news/403980-syria-jihadists-idlib-russia/ }date=29 Oct 2019
- https://www.voanews.com/world-news/middle-east-dont-use/russia-special-forces-helping-syria-win-key-city |retrieved=26 Oct 2019
- "Regime forces advance in Syria's battered Ghouta". News24.
- https://southfront.org/in-photos-russian-military-advisers-support-syrian-army-operation-in-northwestern-hama/ |date retrieved=27 Aug 2019
- https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Матовников,_Александр_Анатольевич |date retrieved=28 Aug 2019
- "Силы специальных операций (ССО)". Ministry of Defense of Russia (in Russian). Archived from the original on 2017-09-06. Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- Marsh, Dr. Christopher (2017). Developments in Russian Special Operations - Russia's Spetsnaz, SOF and Special Operations Forces Command (PDF). CANSOFCOM Education & Research Centre Monograph Series. Ottawa, Ontario: Canadian Special Operations Forces Command. ISBN 9780660073538. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2017-10-19. Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- «Наиболее сложная и опасная работа»: как Россия использует Силы специальных операций Archived 2018-08-28 at the Wayback Machine RT, 27 February 2018.
- День сил специальных операций в России Archived 2018-08-28 at the Wayback Machine RIA Novosti, 27 February 2018.
- Россия решила создать силы специальных операций Archived 2018-06-27 at the Wayback Machine RIA Novosti, 6 March 2013.
- Mark Galeotti. The rising influence of Russian special forces Archived 2018-08-27 at the Wayback Machine Jane's Intelligence Review, 2014.
- В Вооруженных силах РФ созданы силы специальных операций Archived 2018-08-28 at the Wayback Machine RIA Novosti, 23 March 2013.
- John Pike. "Spetsnaz Order of Battle". Archived from the original on 2015-09-10. Retrieved 31 July 2015.
- Вежливые люди получили свой День Archived 2018-06-12 at the Wayback Machine Rossiyskaya Gazeta, 27 February 2017.
- "Эксклюзивные кадры действий Сил специальных операций МО РФ в Сирии". Archived from the original on 2017-03-03. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- Появилось видео работы бойцов Сил спецопераций ВС РФ в Сирии Archived 2018-08-28 at the Wayback Machine TASS, 2 March 2017.
- "UK Mirror: Russian Spetsnaz Special Forces Sent In to Protect Assad". Newsmax. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2016-03-25.
- Russian-led military intervention in Syria
- "Press review: Sochi forum ends recession and GLONASS plays key role in Syria". Archived from the original on 2017-10-11. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- Sputnik. "Russian Aerospace Forces Have Eliminated Over 3,000 Militants in Syria in 2017". sputniknews.com. Archived from the original on 2017-10-11. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- Sputnik. "Russian Engineers Develop Next Generation Multipurpose Body Armor". sputniknews.com. Archived from the original on 2017-10-11. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- Эксперт рассказал, каким будет бронежилет спецназовца будущего Archived 2018-08-27 at the Wayback Machine RIA Novosti, 27 February 2017.
- Начальник Генштаба ВС РФ Валерий Герасимов: Россия создает силы специальных операций Archived 2018-08-28 at the Wayback Machine tvzvazda.ru, 6 March 2013.
- "День Сил специальных операций. Досье". TASS. 27 February 2015. Archived from the original on 2017-03-19. Retrieved 2017-03-04.
- «Вежливые люди» отмечают годовщину Archived 2018-08-27 at the Wayback Machine gazeta.ru, 27 February 2017.
- Cозданные в РФ силы спецопераций займутся обеспечением безопасности ОИ Archived 2018-08-28 at the Wayback Machine RIA Novosti, 18 May 2013.
- 27 февраля — День сил специальных операций / mil.ru
- Interest, The National. "Get Ready, America: Russia Has Its Own Deadly 'Delta Force'". Archived from the original on 2017-04-13. Retrieved 12 April 2017.
- Post, Washington. "New battlefield video shows how Russia's elite KSO military unit is fighting in Syria". Archived from the original on 2017-05-06. Retrieved 8 April 2017.
- Galeotti, Mark (2015). Spetsnaz: Russia's Special Forces (Elite ed.). Oxford, UK: Osprey Publishing. p. 50. ISBN 978-1-4728-0722-9. Archived from the original on 2017-04-09. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- Front, South (2017). "Russian Special Operations Forces". Archived from the original on 2017-04-12. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- ""Ъ": новый глава Тульской области руководил эвакуацией Януковича с Украины". Archived from the original on 2018-06-12. Retrieved 2018-08-27.
- Вот Тула прилетела: Алексей Дюмин сменил Владимира Груздева на посту губернатора Archived 2018-08-28 at the Wayback Machine Kommersant, 3 February 2016.
- https://sputniknews.com/world/201511241030686711-su24-rescue-syria-russia/ |retrieved=1 Sep 2019
- https://www.wsj.com/articles/russian-special-forces-seen-as-key-to-aleppo-victory-1481884200 |retrieved=18 Oct 2019
- https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/russian-special-forces-take-part-in-northwestern-hama-offensive-photos/ |date retrieved=26 Aug 2019
- https://southfront.org/16-spetsnaz-vs-300-militants/ |date retrieved=26 August 2019
- https://sputniknews.com/russia/201803121062428568-syria-russia-putin-soldier/ |date retrieved=3 Nov 2019
- https://www.rt.com/news/403980-syria-jihadists-idlib-russia/ |date retrieved=2 Sep 2019
- https://www.newsweek.com/russia-claims-kill-hundreds-militants-us-battle-isis-near-end-668522 |date retrieved=2 Sep 2019
- https://southfront.org/russian-forces-conduct-special-operation-in-idlib-eliminate-5-hts-commanders-32-militants/ date retrieved=16 Nov 2019
- https://southfront.org/russian-tu-95ms-strategic-bombers-carried-out-missile-strikes-on-targets-in-syrias-idlib-and-deir-ezzor-provinces-video/ date retrieved=16 Nov 2019
- https://southfront.org/russian-warplanes-wiped-out-command-of-syrian-al-qaeda-groups-leader-in-critical-condition/ |date retrieved=18 Nov 2019
- https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/russia-eliminated-rebels-behind-airbase-attack-syria |date=25 Oct 2019
- https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201801121060708674-russia-base-attackers-destroyed-drones/ |retrieved=25 Oct 2019
- https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/09/05/3-russian-soldiers-killed-in-syria-military-source-a67169 |retrieved=8 Sep 2019
- https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/jihadists-suffer-heavy-losses-in-2-ambushes-carried-out-by-suspected-russian-troops/ |retrieved=26 August 2019
- https://southfront.org/russian-special-forces-eliminate-turkish-backed-commander-in-greater-idlib/ |retrieved=2 Sep 2019
- https://southfront.org/russian-special-forces-eliminate-entire-ahrar-al-sham-unit-in-new-raid-in-southern-idlib/ |retrieved=2 Sep 2019
- https://southfront.org/russian-special-forces-conduct-another-successful-operation-in-greater-idlib/ date=16 Nov 2019
- "Russian military says special forces officer killed near Palmyra". Reuters. 24 March 2016. Archived from the original on 2018-07-11. Retrieved 2018-08-27.
- День Сил специальных операций РФ. Досье Archived 2018-08-28 at the Wayback Machine TASS, 26 February 2018.
- "Body of senior Russian officer killed in Syria delivered to Moscow". TASS. 29 April 2016. Archived from the original on 4 May 2016. Retrieved 30 April 2016.
- https://www.webcitation.org/6hGIFWdSM?url=http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russian-special-forces-officer-ordered-air-strike-on-himself-to-kill-isis-militants-surrounded-body-a7008106.html |date=6 Nov 2019
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2017-02-05. Retrieved 2017-02-05.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2018-10-20. Retrieved 2018-10-20.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Телеканал ЗВЕЗДА (1 March 2017). "Бойцы Сил специальных операций действуют в Сирии: эксклюзивные кадры". Archived from the original on 2017-04-05. Retrieved 11 October 2017 – via YouTube.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2017-04-19. Retrieved 2017-04-18.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2018-09-11. Retrieved 2018-09-11.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2018-09-11. Retrieved 2018-09-11.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Прохоренко,_Александр_Александрович |date=26 Oct 2019
- https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Портнягин,_Денис_Олегович |date retrieved=28 Aug 2019
- https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Байкулов,_Вадим_Владимирович |date retrieved=28 Aug 2019
- https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Гойняк,_Алексей_Николаевич |date retrieved=28 Aug 2019
- https://alex-news.ru/chtoby-pomnili-rossii-vernye-syny/ |retrieved=13 Sep 2019
- http://www.warheroes.ru/hero/hero.asp?Hero_id=28074 |date retrieved=5 Nov 2019