Russian World Studios
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (May 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Coordinates: Russian World Studios was founded in 1984 by Yuri Sapronov and Andrei Smirnov, and is one of the largest film and television production companies in the Russian market. As of 1992, the company has produced or serviced over 400 film and television projects. The studio has worked with Sony Pictures Television International, Hallmark Entertainment, HBO Films, and Beacon Pictures. RWS offers a range of film production services as well as their own distribution department, which sells in-house film and TV series on the international market. The company's film studios are located in Moscow and St. Petersburg.
At the end of 2007 RWS joined JSFC "Sistema", the largest diversified holding company in Russia. This new partnership has allowed RWS to focus on three main areas of growth: studio facilities, including the expansion of the new St. Petersburg studio; production, including the expansion and efficient use of the content library; and distribution of content across current and emerging media platforms.
Yuri Anatolievich Sapronov is a co-founder and the current CEO of Russian World Studios. Prior to founding Russian World Studios in 1984 with Andrei Smirnov, Sapronov was CEO of Interactive Television LLC. In 2011 RWS was reorganized into a Russian World Studios and JSFC “Sistema” joint venture company and Sapronov was appointed the first deputy CEO, Head of the Production Department. In 2012 he was appointed the Chief Executive Officer of CJSC “RWS.”
A native of St. Petersburg, Sapronov holds a degree from St. Petersburg State Theatre Arts Academy (formerly Leningrad State Institute of Theatre, Music and Cinema), and a master's degree from St. Petersburg State University of Economics and Finance.
Olga Sinelshchikova is the current International Vice President of Russian World Studios and holds a degree in journalism and advertising from Moscow State University. Prior to joining RWS, she was an international operations manager at the telecommunications company VID.
She has been at Russian World Studios since 1994 where she started as an international operations manager. In 2005 she was promoted to head of international operations, and in 2007, to her current position where she oversees all international operations for the company, including film and television projects, format and equipment acquisitions.
She has served as a producer on “The Spirit”, and as an associate producer on several projects, including the feature films “Kaleidoscope,” “Antidope,” as well as the television series “Atlantis.”
Film Production Services
- Script review, editing, and adaptation
- Focus groups
- Screenwriter referral
- Stage rental
- Location scouting and obtaining location shooting permission
- Rental house for production equipment
- Transportation and production vehicles
- Decoration construction and rental
- Post production services
- Vasilisa (2014)
- Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol (2011), Russian unit
- Kaleidoscope (2008)
- Antidope (2007)
- Spirit (2007)
- The Detective Brothers (2008)
- Love is Not As it Looks (2008)
- Atlantis (2008)
- Sea Patrol (2008)
- Ginger (2008)
- Champion (2008)
- Young and Wicked (2006)
- Pain (2006)
- Zona (2006)
- Poor Anastasya (2004)
- Cobra Antiterror (2003)
- Ambulance (2003)
- Cobra (2001)
- Maroseyka, 12 (1998)
- A memorial plaque at the 55th Film Festival in Salerno (Italy)(2001)
The Spirit (co-produced with Studio Eight)
- Cinema for Peace Award for Best Film at Berlinale (2008)
- Special screening at MIFF (2007)
- Special screening at the Los Angeles Short Film Festival (2007)
- TEFI (Russian National Television Awards for professional achievement in television broadcasting Award) (2008)
- “Best TV Drama Series” Nomination at Monte Carlo Television Festival(2008)
- “Best Telenovela and Serial Program” Nomination at BANFF World Television Festival in Canada
- “Best TV Drama Series” Nomination at Monte Carlo Television Festival (2007)
- “Best TV Drama Series” Nomination at Seoul Drama Awards (2007)
- “Best TV Drama Series” Nomination at Monte Carlo Television Festival (2006)
- TEFI (Russian National Television Awards for professional achievement in television broadcasting Award) for the best production design (A. Boym, A. Burkov, I. Lapteva) (2004)
The RWS Distribution Department was formed in 2005 to distribute in-house projects throughout all operating and emerging platforms. The RWS catalogue includes products of various genres and formats including television series, feature films and television movies. In addition, Russian and international channels have acquired rights to air some of their programs, including Channel One (Russia), CTC (Russian Federation), 1+1 (Ukraine), Fox Life and Channel 9 (Israel).
1. "Russian World Studios builds on empire". Variety (2008-24-10). Retrieved on 30 January 2009.
2. "Meskhiyev joins Russian World Studios". Variety (2008-17-07). Retrieved on 30 January 2009.
3. IMDb Russian World Studios
4. Russian World Studios