Corporate Headquarters in Vernon Hills, IL
|Subsidiary of RPM International|
Evanston, Illinois, U.S.
|Revenue||US$ 1 Billion (FY 2014)|
Number of employees
|1,000 (December 2016)|
Rust-Oleum is a manufacturer of protective paints and coatings for home and industrial use. It was founded in 1921 by Robert Fergusson, a sea captain, after he noticed that fish oil spilled on rusty metal decks stopped corrosion from spreading. He soon incorporated whale oil into the formula, although many changes have been made over the years. Rust-Oleum products no longer contain whale oil, instead using resins derived from Alkyds, polyurethanes, epoxies, latex, etc.
Rust-Oleum remained a family-owned company until 1994, when it was acquired by current owner RPM International Inc. In 2015, the company reached one billion dollars in revenue.Key brands include Stops Rust, High Performance, NeverWet, Painter's Touch, Universal, Varathane, Zinsser, and Watco. The company acquired Synta Inc., in 2012, Krud Kutter, Inc. and Citadel Restoration and Repair, Inc. in 2014,and Seal Krete in 2016.Based on market share, Rust-Oleum holds the top position in the U.S. and Canada in the rust-preventative, decorative, specialty and professional segments of the small-project paint category.
This section may contain an excessive amount of intricate detail that may interest only a particular audience.June 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)(
- Wipe New
- Stops Rust
- Krud Kutter
- Painter's Touch
- Modern Masters
- Miracle Sealants
- American Accents
- Imagine Craft & Hobby
- Peel Coat
- Metallic Accents
- Seal Krete
- Sierra Performance
Rust-Oleum Corporation's corporate headquarters are in Vernon Hills, Illinois, a northern suburb of Chicago. Rust-Oleum manufactures product in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin; Hagerstown, Maryland; Tulsa, Oklahoma; Lesage, West Virginia; and multiple other locations in the United States and Europe.
Vernon Hills High School's football stadium is named Rust-Oleum Field, as the company donated $100,000 in exchange for 20 year naming rights. Additionally, Libertyville High School's baseball program receives sponsorship from the corporation.
- DROWN, STUART (1994-05-04). "RPM INC. WILL BUY RUST-OLEUM'S U.S. HOLDINGS \ MEDINA COMPANY EXPECTS ILLINOIS MAKER OF PROTECTIVE COATINGS AND PAINTS TO AUGMENT PRODUCT LINE". Akron Beacon Journal (OH). pp. –8.
- Cho, Janet H. (16 September 2015). "How Rust-Oleum became a $1 billion consumer brand". Cleveland Plain-Dealer. Retrieved 24 June 2020.
- RPM International Inc. (22 January 2014). "RPM Acquires Citadel Floor Coatings Business". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 24 June 2020.
- Cho, Janet H. (7 March 2016). "RPM acquires Seal-Krete, maker of concrete sealants". Cleveland Plain-Dealer. Retrieved 24 June 2020.
- "Financial Reports". RPM. Retrieved 24 June 2020.
- Shakey: Neil Young's Biography, Jimmy McDonough, 2002, Anchor
- Cancino, Alejandra (14 November 2014). "Rust-Oleum's perks sparkle among top workplaces". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 24 June 2020.
- "Naming rights sold--this time, at high school field". chicagotribune.com. 14 August 2002. Retrieved 24 June 2020.