|Rustam Nurgaliyevich Minnikhanov|
Рустам Нургалиевич Минниханов
|2nd President of Tatarstan|
Assumed office |
March 25, 2010
Aleksey Pesoshin (acting)
|Preceded by||Mintimer Shaimiev|
|Prime Minister of Tatarstan|
July 10, 1998 – March 25, 2010
|Preceded by||Mintimer Shaimiev (acting)|
|Succeeded by||Ildar Khalikov|
March 1, 1957|
Novyi Arysh, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
|Political party||United Russia|
Rustam Nurgaliyevich Minnikhanov (Russian: Руста́м Нургали́евич Минниха́нов, Tatar: Рөстәм Нургали улы Миңнеханов; born 1 March 1957) is a Russian politician and the second and current President of Tatarstan, a federal subject of Russia.
Early life and education
Rustam Minnikhanov was born on March 1, 1957 in a Volga Tatar family in the New Arysh (Russian: Новый Арыш, translit. Novyj Aryš; Tatar: Cyrillic Яңа Арыш, Latin Yaña Arış) village of Rybno-Slobodsky District in the Tatar ASSR.
After graduating from the institute in 1978, he began his career as an engineer in Sabinsky District Association of Selkhoztekhnika. He then worked in the district as a senior engineer and chief power engineer in a state timber industry enterprise and was deputy chairman of District Consumer Society Board.
In 1985–1993 he worked in Arsky District as chairman of the District Consumer Society Board, Chairman of the Executive Committee of People's Deputies District Council, First Deputy Head of District Administration.
In 1993 he was appointed head of Vysokogorsky District administration and in November 1996 he was appointed minister of finance of the Republic of Tatarstan. From July 10, 1998 until March 25, 2010 he was prime minister of the Republic of Tatarstan. During his tenure as republican prime minister, Minnikhanov continued to be involved in industry, serving as chairman of the board of directors of the oil company Tatneft from 2005 to 2006. As prime minister, he was known for his enthusiasm for technological innovation, spearheading the republic's move to digital, paperless government and the streamlining of official business through the use of electronically distributed documents and electronic signing of official documents.
On January 27, 2010, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev nominated Rustam Minnikhanov to be the new president of Tatarstan and on March 25, 2010, Rustam Minnikhanov formally assumed the office of President.
During the 2014 Crimean crisis, Minnikhanov acted as a mediator between the Kremlin government and the Crimean Tatar community over concerns raised amongst Crimean Tatars over potential persecution by Russia should it annex the peninsula.
Minnikhanov is a keen motorsports enthusiast and was a regular competitor in the FIA European Championship for Rallycross Drivers, in 2007 driving a Citroën C4 T16 4x4 with 550+bhp that was built and raced in 2006 by 14-time European Rallycross champion Kenneth Hansen of Sweden. For the 2008 and 2009 ERX series Hansen's team built a brand new C4 for Minnikhanov. In 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2006 Minnikhanov won the truck category of the UAE Desert Challenge (a Rally Raid competition) in the United Arab Emirates with his Kamaz 4911 and in 2004 as well as 2005 he finished 3rd overall in the FIA European Championship for Autocross Drivers with a four-wheel-driven Ford Puma.
Honours and awards
- Order of Merit for the Fatherland 4th class
- Order of Friendship
- Medal "In Commemoration of the 300th Anniversary of Saint Petersburg"
- Medal "In Commemoration of the 1000th Anniversary of Kazan"
- Medal "For Distinction in Eliminating the Effects of Emergency Situations" (EMERCOM)
- Order "For Merit to the Republic of Tatarstan"
- "Минниханов Рустам Нургалиевич". Вести.Ru. 2010-01-22. Retrieved 2010-03-28.
- Авиакатастрофа в Казани: опубликован список 50 погибших (in Russian). ITAR TASS. 17 November 2013.
- Davison, Jennifer-Anne (2008-04-29). "Power dynamics in Russian-Tatarstani relations: A case study". Victoria, British Columbia, Canada: University of Victoria: 27.
- Исмагилова, Эльмира (2010-03-25). "Рустам Минниханов - президент в стиле Hi-Tech". Вести.Ru. Retrieved 2010-03-28.
- Medvedev nominates Minnikhanov as new president of Tatarstan[permanent dead link]
- First President of the Republic of Tatarstan Mintimer Shaimiev: Chronicle of events (March 25, 2010). "Rustam Minnikhanov has taken office as President of the Republic of Tatarstan"; for more information, see the Russian version, "Рустам Минниханов официально вступил в должность Президента Республики Татарстан".
| Prime Minister of Tatarstan
July 10, 1998 – March 25, 2010
| President of Tatarstan
March 25, 2010–