Rusty Smith (American football)
Smith with the Tennessee Titans
|Date of birth:||January 28, 1987|
|Place of birth:||Jacksonville, Florida|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||226 lb (103 kg)|
|High school:||Jacksonville (FL) Sandalwood|
|NFL Draft:||2010 / Round: 6 / Pick: 176|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Russell Edgar "Rusty" Smith (born January 28, 1987) is a former American football quarterback. He was drafted by the Tennessee Titans in the sixth round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He played college football at Florida Atlantic.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 5 in||224 lb||4.83 s||1.71 s||2.90 s||4.61 s||7.04 s||23 in||8 ft 4 in|
|All values from Florida Atlantic's Pro Day workout on March 4, 2010|
Smith was selected by the Tennessee Titans in the sixth round (176th overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft. He was the first ever player from FAU to be drafted. He was signed to a four-year contract on June 17, 2010.
Smith made his NFL debut on November 21, 2010 against the Washington Redskins after starter Vince Young left the game with an injured throwing hand, completing 3-of-9 passes for 62 yards and one interception. Titans head coach Jeff Fisher later declared that Smith would become the team's starting quarterback due to Young's season-ending thumb surgery and Kerry Collins' calf injury. His first start was in a 20-0 shutout loss to the Houston Texans. Smith had 17 completions in 31 passes for 138 yards and was intercepted three times, all by CB Glover Quin.
Smith did not have one snap during the 2011 regular season.
In 2012, he stepped in for Matt Hasselbeck and went 3-of-5 for 34 yards. He was waived/injured by the Titans on August 31, 2013. He was re-signed the next day, and put on the team's practice squad.
New York Giants
- Kiper, Jr., Mel (November 26, 2010). "Rusty Smith and the no-name rookies". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2010-11-26.
- "Rusty Smith, DS #23 QB, Florida Atlantic". nfldraftscout.com. Retrieved 2010-11-26.
- "Rusty Smith becomes first FAU player ever drafted - Sun Sentinel". Articles.sun-sentinel.com. 2010-04-24. Retrieved 2010-11-23.
- "Titans Agree to terms with Draft Pick Smith". titansonline.com. June 17, 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- "Titans now have to rely on rookie quarterback | tennessean.com". The Tennessean. Retrieved 2010-11-23.
- "New York Giants Sign QB Rusty Smith".
- "Rusty Smith". pro-football-reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved September 10, 2016.