Rutgers Ecological Preserve
The Rutgers University Ecological Preserve (RUEP), previously known as Kilmer Woods, is a nature teaching area owned by Rutgers University. This 370 acre tract of land is part of the Livingston Campus of Rutgers and is located within the towns of Piscataway, Edison, and Highland Park in Middlesex County, New Jersey. It contains a wide variety of plant life and supports a range of wood dwelling creatures.
In November, 2014, a new gateway kiosk was dedicated to the memory of Charlie Kontos, Jr.
The RUEP is a popular place for hikers and mountain bikers in the central NJ area, especially Rutgers students. It contains challenging terrain that is very close to campus.
Maps of the RUEP
- Most recent trail map (Updated 8/15/2014) provided by Rutgers University
- Historic Trail Map Provided by Highland Park Environmental Commission
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rutgers Ecological Preserve.|
- Rutgers Ecological Preserve Official Site
- New York New Jersey Trail Conference
- Highland Park Environmental Commission
- NY-NJ-CT Botany Online