|Occupation||ILGA Co-Secretary General|
|Known for||LGBT rights|
Ruth Baldacchino is an LGBT, transgender, and intersex activist, Co-Secretary General of the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association (ILGA), and program officer for the first intersex human rights fund.
Baldacchino holds an M.A. in Women’s Studies from University College Dublin and a B.A. (Honours) in Sociology from University of Malta. Baldacchino is a PhD candidate in Sociology/Gender Studies, and lectures in Queer Studies at the University of Malta.
Activism and career
Baldacchino has previously served on the boards of the Malta Gay Rights Movement, IGLYO and ILGA-Europe and also serves as program officer for the first intersex human rights fund. Baldacchino is a visiting lecturer at the University of Malta. From late 2014, Baldacchino has served as co-secretary general of ILGA. From mid-2015 Baldacchino serves as program officer for the first intersex human rights fund, at Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice.
Prior to joining Astraea, Baldacchino worked at the Ministry for Civil Liberties in Malta on human rights and social integration, participating in the process of developing and passing a groundbreaking Gender Identity, Gender Expression and Sex Characteristics Act.
Baldacchino has a non-binary gender identity, and describes the Gender Identity, Gender Expression and Sex Characteristics Act as providing "freedom to an individual to develop, establish and express their gender, rather than having the State or the medical professionals deciding that. In other words, ... to be allowed to determine what identity fits ... best and how ... to embody that identity."
- Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice
- International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association
- "Introducing the Intersex Fund team at Astraea!". Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice. June 16, 2015. Archived from the original on July 3, 2015. Retrieved 2015-07-02.
- Calleja, Claudia (March 29, 2012). "Milkshake seeks to dismantle taboos". Times of Malta. Retrieved 2015-07-19.
- University of Malta (February 4, 2015). "Visiting Staff". University of Malta. Retrieved 2015-07-19.
- "Press Release – ILGA Annual Report on State-Sponsored Homophobia". SOGI News.com. RFSL. May 14, 2015. Retrieved 2015-07-19.
- Lavers, Michael (April 1, 2015). "Maltese lawmakers approve 'cutting-edge' gender identity bill". Washington Blade. Retrieved 2015-07-19.
- Akpınar, Ömer (April 3, 2015). "Malta: "I am allowed to determine what identity fits me best"". Kaos GL. Retrieved 2015-07-19.
- Hay, Mark (April 7, 2015), What Will Malta’s New Intersex Law Mean for the Rest of the World?, Vice
- Ministry for Education and Employment, Malta (June 2015), Trans, Gender Variant and Intersex Students in Schools: Policy (PDF), Ministry for Education and Employment, Malta