Ruth Carter Stevenson
Ruth Carter Stevenson (October 19, 1923 – January 6, 2013) was an American patron of the arts and founder of the Amon Carter Museum of American Art, which opened in Fort Worth, Texas, in January 1961.
Stevenson was born to Amon G. Carter and Nenetta Carter in Fort Worth, Texas, in 1923. She was the second daughter of Carter, the creator and publisher of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. She graduated from the Madeira School and then earned a chemistry degree from Sarah Lawrence College in Yonkers, New York in 1945.
Her father specified in his will that a museum specializing in Western American art to be created after his death in 1955, to house his more than 700 art objects depicting the American West, primarily paintings and sculptures by Frederic Remington and Charles Russell. Stevenson hired architect Philip Johnson to design the building and opened the Amon Carter Museum of Western Art in January 1961, following her father's wishes. She was the first president of the museum's board of trustees and was president at her death in 2013.
Stevenson was also the first woman to be appointed to the board of directors of the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C., and the first woman to become the chairman of that board. Along with local art enthusiasts Owen Day and Sam Cantey III, Stephenson assembled An Art Exhibition for the President and Mrs. John F. Kennedy which decorated the suite in the Hotel Texas in Fort Worth, Texas, occupied by United States President John F. Kennedy and Jacqueline Kennedy on the night before his assassination on November 22, 1963.
- "Creator of Carter Museum of American Art dies". Associated Press. 2013-01-07. Retrieved 2013-01-16.
- Hevesi, Dennis (2013-01-11). "Ruth Carter Stevenson of the Amon Carter Museum Dies at 89". New York Times. Retrieved 2013-01-16.
- Madigan, Tim (8 Jan 2013). "Region loses one of its guiding spirits". Star-Telegram. p. 1.
- Amon Carter Museum of American Art. "Institutional Timeline" (PDF). p. 2. Retrieved 10 October 2015.
- Amon Carter Museum of American Art. "Ruth Carter Stevenson (1923–2013): A Chronology" (PDF). p. 9. Retrieved 10 October 2015.
- Barker, Scott Grant (2013). Hotel Texas: An Art Exhibition for the President and Mrs. John F. Kennedy. Dallas Museum of Art, Amon Carter Museum of American Art, distrib. Yale University Press. pp. 50–63.