18 April 1967 |
|Spouse(s)||Imran Khan (m. 2007)|
|Alma mater||University College Dublin|
Ruth Coppinger (born 18 April 1967) is an Irish Solidarity–PBP politician and a Teachta Dála (TD) for the Dublin West constituency. She was first elected to Dáil Éireann at the 2014 Dublin West by-election under the banner of the Anti-Austerity Alliance–People Before Profit (AAA–PBP), an organisation affiliated to the Socialist Party. The AAA was re-branded as Solidarity in 2017.
Coppinger was a member of Fingal County Council for the Mulhuddart area from 2003 to 2014. She was co-opted to the council in 2003, replacing Joe Higgins. She was elected in 2004 and re-elected in 2009. She was an unsuccessful candidate for the Socialist Party at the 2011 Dublin West by-election.
She later joined party colleague Joe Higgins in the Dáil as a result of the 2014 by-election in the same constituency. On being elected, she called for a mass campaign of opposition to water charges being imposed by the Fine Gael-Labour Party coalition.
In September 2015, she joined homeless families from Blanchardstown in occupying a Nama-controlled property as part of a campaign to raise awareness of the housing crisis. In October 2015, she joined families in their occupation of a show house in her constituency to protest at the lack of availability of affordable social housing. She has also supported the tenants of Tyrrelstown who were made homeless when a Goldman Sachs vulture fund sold their houses.
She was re-elected to the Dáil at the 2016 general election, this time under the Anti-Austerity Alliance–People Before Profit banner. On 10 March 2016, at the first sitting of the 32nd Dáil, she nominated Richard Boyd Barrett for the role of Taoiseach, quoting James Connolly from a hundred years previously when she said: "The day has passed for patching up the capitalist system. It must go" and declaring: "We will not vote for the identical twin candidates" of Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil after they "imposed austerity". On 6 April 2016, following the failure of the Dáil to elect a Taoiseach at that first sitting, Coppinger was nominated for the role of Taoiseach, becoming the first female nominee in the history of the state.
- "Ruth Coppinger". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
- "Nulty elected in Dublin West". Irish Examiner. 29 October 2011.
- "Coppinger wins Dublin West by-election". RTÉ News. 24 May 2014.
- O'Connor, Niall (25 May 2014). "Ruth Coppinger's victory doubles Socialist Party's voice in Dail". Irish Independent.
- McCarthaigh, Sean (24 May 2014). "Coppinger: Win is a result for ordinary working people". BreakingNews.ie.
- "Group occupies Nama-controlled property to raise awareness of homelessness". Irish Independent. 22 September 2015.
- "Dail deputy Ruth Coppinger and homeless families 'occupy' West Dublin show house". Irish Independent. 3 October 2015.
- "Tyrrelstown tenants organise protest today". The Sunday Business Post. 22 March 2016.
- Edwards, Elaine (18 March 2016). "Families begin to leave Tyrrelstown estate as leases not renewed: Residents meeting tonight agree to protest march on the Dáil next Tuesday". The Irish Times.
- "Tyrrelstown tenants meeting over eviction notices". RTÉ News. 14 March 2016.
- Lennon, Barry (17 March 2016). "Pressure on Kelly to help families facing eviction". Irish Independent.
- "Tyrrelstown Tenants Action Group calls for government intervention". BreakingNews.ie. 19 March 2016.
- "Ruth Coppinger reveals house burglary live on RTÉ". RTÉ News. 22 January 2016.
- Treacy, Ciara (22 January 2016). "Dublin TD Ruth Coppinger's home burgled while she was on the radio". Irish Independent.
- "Election 2016: Ruth Coppinger". RTÉ. 27 February 2016.
- McQuinn, Cormac (10 March 2016). "Parties nominate their leaders to be the next Taoiseach". Irish Independent.
- "Ruth Coppinger will become the first woman nominated for Taoiseach". 5 April 2016.
- "Ireland will have its first ever female Taoiseach nominee on Wednesday". 5 April 2016.
- "Ruth Coppinger set to make Irish political history this afternoon". 6 April 2016.
- "Left Wing TD Ruth Coppinger will be the first woman ever nominated for Taoiseach today". 6 April 2016.
- "Coppinger makes dramatic entrance". The Sunday Times. 25 May 2014.
- "About Ruth". Official website. Archived from the original on 3 January 2012.
- Murphy, Cormac (27 May 2014). "Fingal County council: Final counts filled overnight". Irish Independent.
Eugene Coppinger, brother of new Dublin West TD Ruth Coppinger, had a successful campaign. Mr Coppinger, a Socialist Part[y] and Anti-Austerity Alliance candidate, said the whole family is proud of his little sister Ruth's achievement.
- Coppinger, Ruth. "Resentment over property tax is palpable", The Irish Times. 14 May 2014
Joan Burton from 2002
Leo Varadkar from 2007
Brian Lenihan Jnr to 2011
Patrick Nulty 2011–14
Joe Higgins to 2016
|Teachta Dála for Dublin West
With: Joan Burton