Ruth Jones (politician)
|Member of Parliament|
for Newport West
|Assumed office |
5 April 2019
|Preceded by||Paul Flynn|
|Born||1962 (age 56–57)|
Jones was educated at Duffryn High School in Newport. After training at Cardiff University, she worked as a physiotherapist in the National Health Service from 1983, eventually managing children and adult learning disability services for the Aneurin Bevan University Health Board.
Jones became involved with the professional body and trade union Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP) as a steward, a regional steward, then a member of the CSP Council. In 2007 she was elected president of the Wales TUC for two years. In 2016 she became a full-time senior negotiating officer for the CSP.
Jones was elected as MP for Newport West in April 2019 at the Newport West by-election, which had been caused by the death of the sitting Labour MP, Paul Flynn. On a relatively low turnout of 37.1%, Jones took 39.6% (9,308) of the vote, although the Labour majority dropped from 5,658 (in 2017) to 1,951. She was officially sworn in and took her seat in the House of Commons on 8 April 2019, and made her maiden speech on 1 May 2019 in a debate on climate change.
- "About". Ruth Jones for Newport West. Labour Party. Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- Clews, Graham (20 February 2008). "Welsh TUC president talks about life at the top". Frontline. Chartered Society of Physiotherapy. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- "Newport West by-election candidates named after death of Paul Flynn". Western Mail. 19 March 2019.
- "3 minutes with Ruth Jones". Frontline. Chartered Society of Physiotherapy. 7 September 2016. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- Deans, David (2 April 2019). "Newport West by-election: Who are the candidates?". BBC News.
- "Newport West By-election results | Newport City Council". Government of the United Kingdom. Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- Ferguson, Sam; Craig, Ian (5 April 2019). "Full details as Labour's Ruth Jones wins Newport West by-election with more than 9,000 vote". South Wales Argus. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- Craig, Ian (8 April 2019). "Ruth Jones is sworn in as Newport West's new MP". South Wales Argus. Retrieved 9 April 2019.
- Ruth Jones (1 May 2019). "Environment and Climate Change". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard). United Kingdom: House of Commons. col. 265.
- "Ruth Jones MP - UK Parliament". www.parliament.uk. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- Ruth Jones website
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Trade union offices|
| President of the Wales TUC
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament
for Newport West
|This article about a Labour Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom representing a Welsh constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|