28 November 1965 |
(BA in Fine Art)
(MA in Peace & Conflict Studies)
|Occupation||Artist & Politician|
|Years active||1994 — present|
|Title||Chief Government Whip|
Ruth Nankabirwa Ssentamu is a Ugandan politician, the current Chief Government Whip in the Ugandan Cabinet. She was appointed to that position on 1 March 2015, replacing Justine Lumumba Kasule, who was given the post of Secretary General of the ruling National Resistance Movement political party in Uganda on 23 December 2014. Prior to that, from 27 May 2011 until 1 March 2015, Nankabirwa served as the State Minister for Fisheries in the Cabinet of Uganda replacing Fred Mukisa, who was dropped from the cabinet. Prior to that, she served as State Minister for Microfinance, from February 16, 2009 until May 27, 2011. She is the elected member of parliament, representing the Kiboga District Women's Constituency.
Background and education
Ruth Nankabirwa was born on November 28, 1965. She hails from Kiboga District in Central Uganda. She studied at Nabisunsa Girls' Secondary School, for both O-Level and A-Level education. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Fine Art from Makerere University. She also holds the degree of Master of Arts degree course in Conflict Studies.
From 1994 through 1995, she served as a delegate to the Constituent Assembly. In 1996, Ruth Nankabirwa was elected to serve as the member of parliament for Woman Delegate for Kiboga District. She holds that position up to today. From 1998 through 2001, she served as Minister of State for Luweero Triangle in the Office of the Prime Minister. Between 2001 and 2009, she served as State Minister for Defense, a post she held until she was appointed to be the State Minister for Microfinance. In the Cabinet reshuffle of 27 May 2011, she was moved to the Fisheries Ministry as State Minister, a position she still occupies today.
- Uganda State House, . (1 March 2015). "Full Cabinet List As At 1 March 2015" (PDF). Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- Nakatudde, Olive (23 December 2014). "Justine Lumumba Appointed NRM Secretary General". Uganda Radio Network (URN). Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- Uganda State House, . (27 May 2011). "Comprehensive List of New Cabinet Appointments & Dropped Ministers". Facebook.com. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- Vision Reporter, . (18 February 2009). "Reshuffle: Museveni Names Janet, Awori, Jeje Ministers". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- Nanyonjo, Aidah (2 July 2009). "MFIs To Get Regulatory Authority". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- POU (2011). "Profile of Nankabirwa Ruth Sentamu, Woman Representative for Kiboga District". Parliament of Uganda (POU). Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- Bita, George (28 November 2008). "36 UPDF Officers Graduate". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- Kirya, Donald (21 December 2008). "UPDF Officers Graduate". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 15 February 2015.