Rutherford County Sheriff's Office
The Rutherford County Sheriff's Office (RCSO) is the primary law enforcement agency in Rutherford County, Tennessee. The RCSO is responsible for patrolling the 626-square miles of the County and its 250,000+ residents. The RCSO currently employs 178 sworn law enforcement officers and 135 Detention Officers as Deputy Sheriffs. The Rutherford County Sheriff's Office was founded in 1804 and Samuel McBride was elected the first Sheriff. The current Acting-Sheriff of Rutherford County is Deputy Chief Kieth Lowery, following indicted sheriff Robert Arnold's November 2016 suspension. Arnold originally joined the department in 1999 and was elected Sheriff in August 2010. The Rutherford County Commission will appoint an interim sheriff on January 17, 2017.
Sheriff Robert Arnold Controversy
On May 21, 2015, Sheriff Arnold and two others were the target of and FBI and Tennessee Bureau of Investigation raid related to a probe into financial and purchasing irregularities. His business interests are also being looked at for potential conflicts of interest by examiners from the Tennessee Comptroller's office. On May 27, 2016 Arnold, his Chief Administrator, Deputy Joe Russell, and Arnold's uncle were indicted on 14 charges by the FBI, including fraud and destruction of evidence. Rutherford County residents Steve Lane, Joe Liggett and Jacob Bogle have been seeking an ouster lawsuit since April 2015. Sheriff Arnold and Deputy Russell have plead not guilty and Arnold stated he intends to stay in office. Arnold was suspended without pay on November 14, 2016. The federal criminal trial of Arnold, Russell and Arnold's uncle, John Vanderveer, is set for February 7, 2017; while Arnold's civil ouster trial has been set for April 10, 2017.
- Scott Broden (December 27, 2016). "Lowery emerges as acting sheriff after Garrett retires". The Tennessean. Retrieved January 8, 2017.
- "Sheriff's office, 3 homes investigated by TBI, FBI in Rutherford County". WKRN News 2. May 21, 2015. Retrieved June 3, 2016.
- Nancy Amons (May 27, 2016). "Rutherford sheriff, 2 others indicted on federal charges". WSMV News 4. Retrieved June 3, 2016.
- Scott Broden (April 20, 2015). "Residents seek ouster suit against Sheriff Arnold". Daily News Journal. Retrieved June 3, 2016.
- Stacey Barchenger (June 1, 2016). "Rutherford Sheriff Robert Arnold, Russell to plead not guilty". The Tennessean. Retrieved June 3, 2016.
- Scott Broden (December 27, 2016). "Jailed Sheriff Robert Arnold's civil suit trial set for April". Daily News Journal. Retrieved January 8, 2017.