Rutherglen and Hamilton West (UK Parliament constituency)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Rutherglen and Hamilton West|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Rutherglen and Hamilton West in Scotland
|Subdivisions of Scotland||South Lanarkshire|
|Member of Parliament||Gerard Killen (Labour Co-op)|
|Created from||Glasgow Rutherglen and Hamilton South|
|European Parliament constituency||Scotland|
Rutherglen and Hamilton West is a burgh constituency of the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom, which was created for the 2005 general election. It covers almost all of the former constituency of Glasgow Rutherglen and most of the former constituency of Hamilton South, and it elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first-past-the-post system of election. The current MP is Gerard Killen of the Labour Co-op party, who was first elected at the 2017 snap general election.
The Rutherglen and Hamilton West constituency covers part of the South Lanarkshire council area. The rest of the council area is covered by the Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweeddale constituency, the East Kilbride, Strathaven and Lesmahagow and the Lanark and Hamilton East constituency. The Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweeddale constituency also covers part of the Dumfries and Galloway council area and part of the South Borders council area.
Members of Parliament
|2005||Tommy McAvoy||Scottish Labour and Co-operative|
|2015||Margaret Ferrier||Scottish National Party|
|2017||Gerard Killen||Scottish Labour and Co-operative|
Elections in the 2010s
|Labour Co-op||Gerard Killen|
|Liberal Democrat||Mark McGeever|
|Labour Co-op||Gerard Killen||19,101||37.5||+2.3|
|Conservative||Ann Le Blond||9,941||19.5||+12.0|
|Liberal Democrat||Robert Brown||2,158||4.2||+2.4|
|Labour Co-op gain from SNP||Swing||+8.9|
|Labour Co-op||Tom Greatrex||20,304||35.2||-25.6|
|Liberal Democrat||Tony Hughes||1,045||1.8||-10.2|
|SNP gain from Labour Co-op||Swing||+31.1|
|Labour Co-op||Tom Greatrex||28,566||60.8||+5.2|
|Liberal Democrat||Ian Robertson||5,636||12.0||-6.4|
|Labour Co-op hold||Swing||+1.5|
Elections in the 2000s
|Labour Co-op||Tommy McAvoy||24,054||55.6||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||Ian Robertson||7,942||18.4||N/A|
|Scottish Socialist||Bill Bonnar||1,164||2.7||N/A|
|Labour Co-op win (new seat)|
- "UK Parliament constituencies 2005 onwards: Rutherglen and Hamilton West" (PDF). Boundary Commission for Scotland. Retrieved 2 September 2018.
- "UK Parliament elections: The 3 candidates in Rutherglen and Hamilton West". Who Can I Vote For? by Democracy Club. Retrieved 11 November 2019.
- @RutherglenSNP (30 October 2019). "Endorsement of Margaret Ferrier" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Liberal Democrat Parliamentary Candidates". Mark Pack. Retrieved 28 October 2019.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Council, South Lanarkshire. "UK Parliamentary General Election Results South Lanarkshire Council 2015 Elections - South Lanarkshire Council". www.southlanarkshire.gov.uk.
- "UK Polling Report". ukpollingreport.co.uk.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.