Ruy Mauro Marini
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ruy Mauro Marini (Barbacena, Minas Gerais, 1932 - Río de Janeiro, 1997) was a Brazilian economist and sociologist. Marini is internationally known as one of the creators of Dependency Theory. He is the author of the work "Dialéctica de la Dependencia" (Dialectic of Dependency), in which, using elements of the theory of economic development of Karl Marx adapted to the study of Latin American reality, he explains the necessity of overcoming the developmentalism of ECLAC. He was an activist of the Revolutionary Left Movement of Chile, becoming a member of the Central Community in 1972 and director of his theoretical journal Marxismo y Revolución.
He arrived in the city of Río de Janeiro to study preparatory courses for medicine. However, he preferred personal independence, so he chose to dedicate himself to public service. In 1953, he began studying law at the Faculty of National Jurisprudence, but he did not manage to complete his student at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro. He began studying Public Administration at the Brazilian School of Public and Business Administration and graduated in 1957. During this period, he participated intensely in the student movement, becoming editor of the student newspaper. He founded Política Operária (POLOP) with Moniz Bandeira and Theotônio dos Santos, a left-wing political organization against the guidelines of the Brazilian Communist Party.
He died from cancer in 1997 in Rio de Janeiro at the age of 65.
- Ruy Mauro Marini; Márgara Millán (1994). La teoría social latinoamericana: Cuestiones contemporáneas. UNAM. ISBN 978-968-6125-83-2.
- Ruy Mauro Marini (2007). Proceso y tendencias de la globalización capitalista y otros textos (Antología). Prometeo Libros Editorial. ISBN 978-987-574-170-6.
- "A teoria da dependência, 20 anos depois de Ruy Mauro Marini". Blog da Boitempo. 2017-07-13. Retrieved 2017-08-31.
- Cardoso, José Luís; Marcuzzo, Maria Cristina; Sotelo, María Eugenia Romero (2014-02-05). Economic Development and Global Crisis: The Latin American Economy in Historical Perspective. Routledge. ISBN 9781136735677.
- "Ruy Mauro Marini - Intérpretes do Brasil". www.interpretesdobrasil.org (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2017-09-01.
- Chilcote, Ronald H. (2014-09-08). Intellectuals and the Search for National Identity in Twentieth-Century Brazil. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9781316061886.
|This biographical article about a Brazilian economist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|