Rwanda Development Bank
Chief Executive Officer
|Products||Long Term Finance, Financial Advisory Services, Management Services, Export/Import Finance, Capacity Building, Trade Finance, Leasing Mortgage Finance|
|Total assets||US$122 million (RWF:72 billion) (2011)|
|Owner||Government of Rwanda|
Development Bank of Rwanda, commonly referred to by its French name Banque Rwandaise de Développement (BRD), is a development bank in Rwanda. It is one of the banks licensed by the National Bank of Rwanda, the national banking regulator.
The bank began its operations in 1967, as a long-term financial services provider, with the financing geared towards national development projects. As of April 2011[update], the total asset valuation of the bank was approximately US$122 million (RWF:72 billion), with shareholders equity of approximately US$42.3 million (RWF:25 billion) 
Development Bank of Rwanda, “BRD” is a public company, with a share capital of RWF:7,808,931,000 registered at the Office of the Registrar General, whose company code is n° 1000003547. BRD was incorporated on 5 August 1967. The period between 1967 and 1987 saw the institution invest heavily in pick-up trucks, finance and the finance of grinding mills.
Between 1988 and 1994, the bank expanded its services to the provision of loans in agro-industries, particularly tea and manufacturing, artisans and micro-enterprises. Furthermore, between 1995 and 2000, the bank underwent re-structuring, re-organization and re-capitalization, to repair the damage incurred during the 1994 Rwanda Genocide.
Since 2001, the bank has increased its focus on financing rural development projects, since 90% of the Rwandan population is rural.
On October 16, 2014, BRD announced that it had completed its internal reorganization. This process included spinning off its commercial banking business into a new subsidiary that would be sold off to Atlas Mara Co-Nvest Limited. This subsidiary was incorporated to run the commercial loan portfolio, BRD's Insurance brokerage firm and a piece of a commercial plot adjacent to BRD’s Kigali headquarters. As at October 18, 2014, the newly formed Commercial Bank was yet to be given an official name and was awaiting a commercial banking license from the National Bank of Rwanda.
In April 2011, BRD, acquired a 100% controlling interest in Housing Bank of Rwanda. BRD is in the process of absorbing the assets, liabilities and staff of HBR. After re-organization, BRD has commenced retail banking operations. In addition, it has begun underwriting mortgage products originated by other commercial banks in the country, in an attempt to increase home ownership in Rwanda.
The bank has two subsidiaries, owned 100%, namely:
- BRD Development Fund - A development fund
- Housing Bank of Rwanda - Development Bank of Rwanda took full control in April 2011
|Rank||Name of Owner||Percentage Ownership|
|1||Government of Rwanda|
|2||Rwanda Public Enterprises|
|3||Private Institutions in Rwanda|
|4||Agence française de développement (AFD)|
|5||German Investment Corporation (DEG)|
|6||Netherlands Development Finance Company (FMO)|
|7||Administration Générale de la Coopération au Développement of Belgium (AGCD)|
|8||Bank of Tokyo|
Sectors of Operation
The sectors include the following: 
- Agriculture & livestock;
- Manufacturing industry;
- Education and Health care;
- Energy and Water;
- Hotel and Tourism;
- Transport and related facilities;
- Real Estate
Products & Facilities
The Development Bank of Rwanda put great products in front of their customers. These Products are:
- Capacity Building;
To bring services closer to the people, the bank maintains branches at the following locations: 
- Main Branch - Kigali
- Kayonza Branch - Kayonza, Eastern Rwanda
- Musanze Branch - Musanze, Northern Rwanda
- Nyanza Branch - Huye, Southern Rwanda
- Francis Mugisha - Chairman of the Board
- Athanase Rutabingwa - Director
- Agnes Kanyangeyo - Director
- Eric Rwigamba - Director
- Antonina Kayitesi Rutembesa - Director
- De Wandel Erwin - Director
- Cyrille Hategekimana - Director
- John Bosco Sebabi - Director
The following are members of the Senior Management Team at Development Bank of Rwanda, as of August, 2013.
- Alex Kanyankole - Chief Executive Officer
- Benjamin Manzi - Director of Investments
- Emmanuel Murangayisa - Director of Finance
- Juvenal Kalema - Director of Credit Administration
- Peter Rwambala - Director of Corporate Affairs
- Jean Claude Iliboneye - Director of Operations
- Hector Mutijima - Director of Risk and Compliance
- Innocent Bulindi - CEO of BRD Development Fund (BDF)
- List of Licensed Banks In Rwanda
- BRD Financials In April 2011
- History_of_BRD History of BRD
- "Atlas Mara completes acquisition of BRD". New Times. October 15, 2014. Retrieved October 18, 2014.
- "Atlas Mara Co-Nvest Limited Completion of Acquisition of New Commercial Bank From Development Bank of Rwanda". Market Wired. Atlas Mara Co-Nvest Limited. October 15, 2014. Retrieved October 18, 2014.
- Rwanda: Development Bank Takes Full Control of Housing Bank
- Development Bank of Rwanda Begins Retail Banking Services
- About BRD Development Fund
- Development Bank of Rwanda Takes Full Control of Rwanda Housing Bank
- Shareholders In Development Bank of Rwanda
- Operational Sectors of Development Bank of Rwanda
- Branches of Development Bank of Rwanda
- Key People At Development Bank of Rwanda