Ryan Alexander Bloom
Ryan Alexander Bloom
|Born||June 2, 1985|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, music teacher, author|
|Labels||Redefining Darkness, Candlelight, Hudson Music, Raw Skull|
|Associated acts||Havok, Bloodstrike, Immortal Sÿnn, Amish Warfare, Amara Grace, Errant, Mordheim|
Ryan Alexander Bloom is an American drummer, author, and private teacher. He is known for being a former member of the Colorado based thrash metal band Havok, current member of death metal band Bloodstrike, and the author of the Double Bass Drumming Explained series, Live Drum & Bass, and Encyclopedia Rudimentia.
Ryan grew up in a military family, his father Eric serving as a Lieutenant Colonel in the United States Marine Corps. He attended Crested Butte Community School in Crested Butte, Colorado for high school and participated in soccer and Track and field. In 2002, Ryan was named All-State Honorable Mention in soccer and finished 6th at the state championship track meet in the pole vault. As of 2003, he held 7 school records in track and field (100m, 200m, Long Jump, Triple Jump, Pole Vault, 4x100, 4x200), some of which have since been broken. Ryan graduated from the University of Colorado at Boulder with a degree in music.
Ryan joined the band Havok in 2007, replacing later Speedwolf drummer Richie Tice, and shortly afterward the band got an offer from famed metal label Candlelight Records with whom they ultimately signed a record deal. Ryan contributed drum tracks and lyrics to Havok's 2009 debut album Burn, and appeared in the music video for the song "Morbid Symmetry". Ryan toured with Havok for about 2 years, including the License to Thrash tour, but left Havok just before the official release of Burn.
In 2010 Ryan briefly joined up with Five Iron Frenzy guitarist Micah Ortega to form a death metal band called Mordheim which recorded a short demo called Brutal Demonstrations before disbanding. In 2011 Ryan was hired to record percussion on Amara Grace's album Can't Keep A Sunrise Down. In 2012 he was contacted by Rob Hubbard of Synthetic Minister to record drums for a side project grunge/punk band called Amish Warfare. The resulting EP was titled Immaculate Misconception.
In 2013, Ryan began working with Mackenzie Gault, of the platinum selling Denver band Flobots, teaching drums at her music school, Denver Music Tree. In June 2014, Ryan's website announced that he had joined the swedish death metal band Bloodstrike and had recorded a demo called Necrobirth. Bloodstrike features experienced band members including former members of Mausoleum Records artist Silencer and Root of All Evil Records artist Somnus. Also in 2014, Ryan began teaching at the Aurora, CO branch of the School of Rock, a chain of rock-oriented music schools. In the late summer of 2015, Ryan's band Bloodstrike announced that they had signed with Redefining Darkness Records  and would be releasing the full-length album, In Death We Rot on September 25.
In 2017, Ryan recorded a second album with Bloodstrike called Execution of Violence with a release date of October 13. Bloodstrike subsequently toured with Brazil’s Forceps on their Mastering Extinction US tour. Also in 2017, Ryan began filling in for Denver heavy metal and hard rock outfit Immortal Sÿnn as a live session drummer  while regular drummer Axel Berrios was indisposed. This post would last into the summer of 2018 and included the US leg of Immortal Sÿnn’s first tour.
As an instructional author, Ryan has published 3 books on bass drum technique, one on Drum and bass breakbeats, and one on Drum rudiments. The first book was Double Bass Drumming Explained: A Comprehensive Reference on the Art and Science of Double Bass, in 2012, which discusses double bass drum technique, style, and theory. The book draws on Ryan's own critically acclaimed drumming techniques and his teaching experience. Ryan published his second book, Double Bass Drumming Explained Part 2: The Workbook in 2013. Where the first book was mostly text, this sequel is a traditional instructional method consisting of mainly beats and notated exercises for practice.
In 2016, Ryan published a combined and revised edition of his books called The Complete Double Bass Drumming Explained. This edition fixed minor errors and added new topics, notably a section on cam shape, while condensing the previous two books into a single volume. In April 2017, The Complete Double Bass Drumming Explained  was picked up by publisher Hudson Music and re-released in an exclusive digital ebook format.
In March 2018, Ryan secured a second deal with Hudson Music for the publication of his book, Live Drum & Bass - Breakbeats and Electronic Music for Real Drummers. This was Ryan's first offering outside of double bass instruction, but just like the previous book, was similarly released in a digital ebook format by Hudson with an accompanying physical edition coming out separately.
In early 2019 Ryan announced via his website that he would be releasing his third  book with publisher Hudson Music called Encyclopedia Rudimentia - The Ultimate Drum Rudiment Collection. Encompassing over 850 Drum rudiments, this book diverges from his earlier works for drum set by compiling basic rudimental snare exercises from different cultures and traditions including Drum Corps International hybrid rudiments, Ancient Fife and drum corps rudiments, and European military rudiments alongside the Percussive Arts Society and National Association of Rudimental Drummers standards. Also in 2019, Ryan released his first work of non-fiction outside of music entirely, called The Forgotten Side of Bandelier, which deals with the archeology and anthropology of the Tsankawi  section of Bandelier National Monument.
In 2020, Bloom published a translated edition of Charles Stewart Ashworth's 1812 Fife and Drum manual, A New, Useful, and Complete System of Drum Beating that updated the 19th century notation to 21st century standard drum music.
- 2005 – Errant – Perfect Secret (demo)
- 2009 – Havok – Burn (LP)
- 2010 – Mordheim – Brutal Demonstrations (demo)
- 2011 – Amara Grace – Can't Keep A Sunrise Down (LP)
- 2012 – Amish Warfare – Immaculate Misconception (EP)
- 2014 - Bloodstrike - Necrobirth (demo)
- 2015 - Bloodstrike - In Death We Rot (LP)
- 2017 - Bloodstrike - Execution of Violence (LP)
- 2012 – Double Bass Drumming Explained: A Comprehensive Reference on the Art and Science of Double Bass
- 2013 – Double Bass Drumming Explained Part 2: The Workbook
- 2016 – The Complete Double Bass Drumming Explained- The Reference and The Workbook, Revised, Expanded & Updated
- 2018 – Live Drum & Bass - Breakbeats and Electronic Music for Real Drummers
- 2019 – Encyclopedia Rudimentia - The Ultimate Drum Rudiment Collection
- 2019 - The Forgotten Side of Bandelier - Archeology of the Tsankawi Ruins at Bandelier National Monument
- 2020 - A New, Useful, and Complete System of Drum Beating (translated) - Charles Stewart Ashworth
- "Burn - Havok - Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- Bloom, Ryan Alexander. Double Bass Drumming Explained: A Comprehensive Reference on the Art and Science of Double Bass. Washington: 2012. ebook.
- "Double Bass Drumming Explained: A Comprehensive Reference on the Art and Science of Double Bass - Kindle edition by Ryan Bloom. Arts & Photography Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com". Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- Bloom, Ryan Alexander. Double Bass Drumming Explained Part 2: The Workbook. Colorado: 2013. ebook.
- "Live Drum & Bass". Hudson Music. March 7, 2018.
- "Encyclopedia Rudimentia". Hudson Music. February 28, 2019.
- "Class 3A All-State." Rocky Mountain News. [Denver] 5 December 2002: 3P. Print.
- "Colorado State High School Track Meet - 2A Boys (Raw)". Colorado Track XC.
- "Havok Signs With Candlelight Records - Blabbermouth.net". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- Havok. Burn. Candlelight, 2009. CD. CANDLE270CD UK and CDL0449CD USA.
- "Havok: 'Morbid Symmetry' Video Available - Blabbermouth.net". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- "METALLIAN - Havok". Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- "Mordheim | Listen and Stream Free Music, Albums, New Releases, Photos, Videos". Myspace.
- "Ryan's Recordings and Discography". Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- "Ryan's Recordings and Discography". Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- CBC Music. "CBC Music - Free Streaming Radio, Videos, Songs, Concerts & Playlists". Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- "Amish Warfare". Amish Warfare. May 8, 2012. Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- "Experienced Professional Drum Teacher with Degree - Music Teacher CV Resumes Englewood CO". Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- "Drum Lessons From Ryan Bloom - Ryan Bloom - Drum Instructor - Denver, CO". Thumbtack. Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- "Oneida Business Park - Greater Park Hill Community, Inc. (GPHC), est. 1961". Greater Park Hill Community, Inc. (GPHC), est. 1961. Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- "Ryan Alexander Bloom". Archived from the original on August 22, 2014. Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- "Bloodstrike - Facebook". Facebook. Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- "Ryan Bloom - School of Rock Aurora". Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- "Bloodstrike Signs to Redefining Darkness Records". us8.campaign-archive.com.
- "Bloodstrike to release debut – In Death We Rot". www.deathmetal.org.
- "Account Suspended". www.colomusicbuzz.com.
- "Ryan Bloom - Metal Storm". metalstorm.net.
- "Music Preview: "Machine Men" – New Heavy Metal From Immortal Synn". HuffPost. August 3, 2017.
- "WebVoyage Record View 1". Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- "Prodrumblog.com". prodrumblog.com.
- "Havok - Burn - BurnYourEars Webzine". www.burnyourears.de.
- "HAVOK - Burn (Candelight/Season Of Mist) note : 12/20 - Chronique du disque sur VS-webzine.com - Premier sur le METAL". Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- "Ryan's Lessons". Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- "Double Bass Drumming Explained Part 2: The Workbook - Kindle edition by Ryan Bloom. Arts & Photography Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com". Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- Bloom, Ryan Alexander. The Complete Double Bass Drumming Explained. New York: Hudson Music. 2017.
- "Complete Double Bass Drumming Explained". Hudson Music. April 4, 2017.
- Bloom, Ryan Alexander. Live Drum & Bass - Breakbeats and Electronic Music for Real Drummers. New York: Hudson Music. 2018.
- "Alumni notes 2019". College of Music. January 1, 2019.
- "Encyclopedia Rudimentia – Feb 2019". January 19, 2019.
- Bloom, Ryan Alexander. Encyclopedia Rudimentia - The Ultimate Drum Rudiment Collection. New York: Hudson Music. 2019.
- O'neill, Maire. "Local Author Ryan Bloom Publishes Book On The Tsankawi Ruins." Los Alamos Reporter. November 15, 2019.
- Bloom, Ryan Alexander. The Forgotten Side of Bandelier: Archeology of the Tsankawi Ruins at Bandelier National Monument. 2019.
- Ashworth, Charles Stewart (2020). A New, Useful, and Complete System of Drum Beating. Translated by Bloom, Ryan Alexander. USA. ISBN 1672021928.
- "Double Bass Drumming Explained: A Comprehensive Reference on the Art and Science of Double Bass - Coloradan Magazine". Coloradan Magazine. Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- "Bio". March 16, 2016.