Ryan A. Bizzarro
|Member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives|
from the 3rd district
|Assumed office |
January 1, 2013
|Preceded by||John Hornaman|
|Constituency||Erie County, Pennsylvania|
|Born||November 13, 1985|
|Residence||Millcreek Township, Erie County, Pennsylvania|
|Alma mater||Edinboro University |
|Website||Rep. Ryan A. Bizzarro|
Ryan A. Bizzarro (born November 13, 1985) is a member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives and has represented the 3rd Legislative District since 2013. His district is located in Erie County and includes the townships of McKean, Washington and parts of Millcreek; and the boroughs of Edinboro and McKean.
Bizzarro is a member of the Democratic Party.
Early life and background
After receiving his master's degree, Bizzarro embarked on a career of public service, working for the county as a victim/witness coordinator and as an advocate for the Office of the Erie County District Attorney and the Crime Victim Center.
Bizzarro also served as a behavioral health specialist at McKinley Elementary School and worked in business development for the Erie County Convention Center Authority.
Bizzarro was appointed chief deputy House whip, and he serves as vice chairman of the Northwest Delegation. He also serves as vice chairman of the House Democratic Policy Committee; Democratic secretary of the House Veterans Affairs & Emergency Preparedness Committee; and as a member of the House Consumer Affairs, Insurance and Judiciary committees as well as the Judiciary Subcommittee on Courts.
Alongside his committee assignments, Bizzarro has also been appointed to the Climate Change Advisory Committee, which is tasked to establish and review Pennsylvania's official action plan to combat climate change. He also sits on the Pennsylvania Grade Crude Development Advisory Council, examining existing technical regulations and policies for the oil and gas industry.
Bizzarro is passionate about animal rights and authored Libre's Law – the state's landmark animal cruelty legislation that ensures that animal abusers face tougher punishments. In 2017 – the year Libre's Law was signed into effect – Bizzarro was named National Legislator of the Year by the Humane Society of the United States (2016).
He is a staunch advocate for veterans’ rights and treatment courts, and recently introduced legislation that would expand veteran and service member treatment courts statewide. He has also introduced legislation that would:
- protect seniors’ health and well-being;
- expand community paramedicine to improve the health of Pennsylvanians while also relieving burdened emergency rooms;
- make voting easier and more inclusive through same-day voter registration; and
- establish the Pennsylvania First-Time Homebuyers Savings Account, allowing first-time homebuyers to claim a state tax deduction for certain savings.
Bizzarro has been recognized for his service by several groups and organizations locally and nationally. Awards include the Erie Reader "40 Under 40" (2013), Edinboro University's Honored Alumnus of the Year (2014), Humane Society Legislator of the Year (2016), Pennsylvania Snowmobile Association Legislator of the Year (2018), and Best of Erie's "Best Politician" in the years 2015, 2016 and 2017 (the category was removed in 2018).
Bizzarro's family is prominent in the boxing world. He lives in Millcreek Township with his rescue dog, Boss.
- "SESSION OF 2013 - 197TH OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY - No. 1" (PDF). Legislative Journal. Pennsylvania House of Representatives. 2013-01-01.
- ""SESSION OF 2013 - 197TH OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY - No. 1" (PDF). Legislative Journal. Pennsylvania House of Representatives. 2013-01-01" (PDF).
- ". "District Information." Rep. Ryan Bizzarro, 3rd Legislative District".
- ""Biography." Rep. Ryan Bizzarro, 3rd Legislative District".
- "Gibson, Keegan (September 12, 2012). "Top Ten PA House Races." PoliticsPA".
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives – Rep. Ryan Bizzarro official PA House website
- Pennsylvania House Democratic Caucus - Rep. Ryan Bizzarro official Party website
- Facebook account
- Twitter account
- Instagram account