||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Ryan Buell, 2008
|Born||Ryan Daniel Buell
July 8, 1982
Corry, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Residence||Sumter, South Carolina|
|Alma mater||Pennsylvania State University|
|Occupation||Paranormal investigator, author and producer|
|Organization||Paranormal Research Society, founder|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg)|
|Television||Paranormal State, director|
Ryan Daniel Buell (born July 8, 1982) is an American paranormal investigator, author and producer who founded the Paranormal Research Society when he was a 19-year-old student at Pennsylvania State University.
Buell was born in Corry, Pennsylvania, of Italian, Native American, and Danish ancestry, and raised in Sumter, South Carolina. He earned bachelor degrees in journalism and anthropology from Penn State University in State College, Pennsylvania.
Buell's investigations became the core premise of the A&E show Paranormal State, for which Buell is the director. Buell is also the Executive Producer for an upcoming feature film, American Ghost Hunter, which was announced to be in production in Spring 2009 and was shot in May 2009. In 2011, Buell and partner Chad Calek announced a 41-city tour for the film. In 2010, Buell served as Co-Executive Producer for Paranormal State and for The Ghost Prophecies, of which he is also the co-creator. Buell and his team decided against continuing Paranormal State after the fifth season to pursue other things. Their final episode aired Monday, May 2, 2011.
Buell's memoir, Paranormal State: My Journey into the Unknown was released in September 2010. Among other subjects, Buell discusses his bisexuality and his struggle to reconcile his sexual orientation with his Catholicism. "I’ve decided to share my sexuality and struggle over faith in hopes that others will no longer feel as though they are alone or that they can’t be religious."
Buell was arrested on September 18, 2016 in Florence County, South Carolina for a warrant from State College, Pennsylvania. He was extradited back to Pennsylvania and charged with two third-degree felonies for theft of leased property and receiving stolen property, and one misdemeanor for theft of services. Buell was released on bail from Centre County Corrections Facility on October 18 after spending 30 days in jail. 
- "Bookings/Releases - Florence County Sheriff's Office". www.fcso.org. Retrieved 22 September 2016.
- Hughes, Elaine (14 April 2006). "Paranormal Research Society founder set to graduate". Collegian. Archived from the original on 13 December 2007. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- Abbate, Emily (29 October 2009). "Stars of A&E show haunt UCon". The Daily Campus. Archived from the original on 30 October 2009. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- Ryan Buell official Twitter page. November 29, 2009 entry. accessed October 18, 2010
- "Paranormal State". A&E. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- "EW Exclusive: 'Paranormal State' star Ryan Buell comes out in new book". Entertainment Weekly. 13 September 2010. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- Dyball, Rennie. "Ryan Buell Diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer". People. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- McGee, Kendall (21 September 2016). "A&E ghost hunter Ryan Buell arrested in Florence County". WBTW.com. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- Wilson, Diane (21 September 2016). "Celebrity ghost hunter jailed". ABC11. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- Albrecht, John (19 October 2016). "Ryan Buell makes bail, gets released from PA jail". Erie Echo. Retrieved 19 October 2016.