||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Buell in 2008
|Born||Ryan Daniel Buell
July 8, 1982
Corry, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Residence||Sumter, South Carolina, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Pennsylvania State University|
|Occupation||Paranormal investigator, author and producer|
|Organization||Paranormal Research Society, founder|
|Television||Paranormal State, director|
|Criminal charge||Two third-degree felonies for theft of leased property and receiving stolen property, and one misdemeanor for theft of services, two misdemeanor charges of simple assault and harassment|
Ryan Daniel Buell (born July 8, 1982) is an American paranormal investigator, author and producer who founded the Paranormal Research Society when he was a 19-year-old student at Pennsylvania State University.
Buell was born in Corry, Pennsylvania, of Italian, Native American, and Danish ancestry, and raised in Sumter, South Carolina. He earned bachelor degrees in journalism and anthropology from Penn State University in State College, Pennsylvania.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Buell's investigations became the core premise of the A&E show Paranormal State, for which Buell is the director. Buell is the Executive Producer for an upcoming feature film, American Ghost Hunter, which was announced to be in production in Spring 2009 and was shot in May 2009. In 2011, Buell and partner Chad Calek announced a 41-city tour for the film. In 2010, Buell served as Co-Executive Producer for Paranormal State and for The Ghost Prophecies, of which he is also the co-creator. Buell and his team decided against continuing Paranormal State after the fifth season to pursue other things. Their final episode aired Monday, May 2, 2011.
Buell's memoir, Paranormal State: My Journey into the Unknown, was released in September 2010. Among other subjects, Buell discusses his bisexuality and his struggle to reconcile his sexual orientation with Catholicism, the faith with which he was raised. "I've decided to share my sexuality and struggle over faith in hopes that others will no longer feel as though they are alone or that they can't be religious."
Buell was arrested on September 18, 2016 in Florence County, South Carolina on a warrant from State College, Pennsylvania. He was extradited back to Pennsylvania and charged with two third-degree felonies for theft of leased property and receiving stolen property, and one misdemeanor for theft of services. He was released on bail from Centre County Corrections Facility on October 18 after spending 30 days in jail. He was due back in court on November 2 for a pretrial hearing. Buell told the judge that if he was granted bail, he would stay with friends or his father in State College. He also reportedly relinquished his passport on October 19. According to recent reports, he will face the judge in a non-jury trial on the theft charges on May 18. He has subsequently been arrested on April 21, 2017 on charges of simple assault and harassment of his boyfriend.
- "Bookings/Releases - Florence County Sheriff's Office". www.fcso.org. Retrieved September 22, 2016.
- Hughes, Elaine (April 14, 2006). "Paranormal Research Society founder set to graduate". Collegian. Archived from the original on December 13, 2007. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- Abbate, Emily (October 29, 2009). "Stars of A&E show haunt UCon". The Daily Campus. Archived from the original on October 30, 2009. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- Ryan Buell official Twitter page, November 29, 2009; accessed October 18, 2010.
- "Paranormal State". A&E. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- "EW Exclusive: 'Paranormal State' star Ryan Buell comes out in new book". Entertainment Weekly. September 13, 2010. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- Dyball, Rennie. "Ryan Buell Diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer". People. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- "UPDATE: TV GHOST HUNTER RYAN BUELL’S MOM SAYS “HE’S ILL, BUT NOT FROM CANCER”, crimefeed.com; accessed April 29, 2017.
- McGee, Kendall. "A&E ghost hunter Ryan Buell arrested in Florence County". WBTW.com. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- Wilson, Diane. "Celebrity ghost hunter jailed". ABC11. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- Albrecht, John. "Ryan Buell makes bail, gets released from PA jail". Erie Echo. Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "State College man faces new charges after alleged fight with boyfriend". centredaily. Retrieved 2017-04-26.