Ryan Burr (baseball)
Burr at Arizona State in 2015
|Chicago White Sox – No. 61|
|Born: May 28, 1994|
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
|August 23, 2018, for the Chicago White Sox|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2019 season)
|Earned run average||5.52|
Burr was drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 33rd round of the 2012 Major League Baseball draft out of Highlands Ranch High School in Highlands Ranch, Colorado. He did not sign with the Rangers and attended Arizona State University where he played college baseball for the Arizona State Sun Devils. He finished his career with a school record 38 career saves.
After his junior year, Burr was drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks in the fifth round of the 2015 MLB draft. He made his professional debut with the Hillsboro Hops and ended the year with the Kane County Cougars, posting a combined 4-1 record and 1.06 ERA in 34 innings pitched between both clubs. Burr returned to Kane County in 2016 and posted a 1-2 record and 3.86 ERA in only 23 innings pitched. He began 2017 with Kane County and was later promoted to the Visalia Rawhide.
Chicago White Sox
On August 11, 2017, the Chicago White Sox acquired Burr from Arizona for international signing bonus pool money. Chicago assigned him to the Winston-Salem Dash. In 65.1 total innings pitched between Kane County, Visalia, and Winston-Salem, Burr pitched to a 2-2 record, 1.65 ERA, and a 1.12 WHIP.
Burr began the 2018 season with the Birmingham Barons and was promoted to the Triple-A Charlotte Knights in late July, appearing in 7 games out of the bullpen and posting a 1.08 ERA over 8.1 innings pitched. He was promoted to the major leagues on August 22, 2018 and made his major league debut on August 24 out of the bullpen, retiring all four batters he faced and striking out two in the team's 7-2 loss to the Detroit Tigers.. Burr underwent Tommy John surgery in June 2019 and is expected to miss most if not all of the 2020 season.
- "Ryan Burr boosts back end of bullpen for ASU baseball". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- "Burr converts record-breaking save after ASU rallied for five-run seventh". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- Ardaya, Fabian. "ASU baseball closer Ryan Burr selected by Arizona Diamondbacks in 2015 MLB Draft". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- Johnson, Paul. "Fifth-round pick Ryan Burr fits right in with Kane County Cougars". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- Madeline Kenney @madkenney (August 11, 2017). "White Sox acquire right-hander Ryan Burr from Diamondbacks". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved August 9, 2018.
- "Ryan Burr Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". milb.com. Retrieved December 19, 2017.
- Thompson, Phil (August 23, 2018). "Ryan Burr's relief debut a resounding success, but the White Sox fall 7-2 to the Tigers". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
- "Injury updates: Anderson, Burr, Covey". June 28, 2019. Retrieved June 29, 2019.