Ryan Chetiyawardana (right) with his business partner in Cub restaurant Douglas McMaster
|Born||April 9, 1984|
|Other names||Mr Lyan|
Life & career
Born in Manchester, England, and raised in Birmingham, Chetiyawardana moved on to study at University College Birmingham’s College of Food, followed by Central Saint Martins to study Fine Art, and then Biology and Philosophy at The University of Edinburgh.
While studying Chetiyawardana began working in bars, culminating in bartending at the world renowned Bramble bar in Edinburgh. Following this, he worked in a number of world class cocktail bars before launching his groundbreaking first venue White Lyan, in Hoxton, London in 2013. Eschewing all perishable ingredients and ice to greater focus on guest interaction and hospitality they were a catalyst for discussions regarding sustainability and positive environmental practices across the hospitality sector and beyond. His second opening of Dandelyan, a hotel bar on London’s River Thames, opened in 2014; garnering notable attention for its approach to botany and the effect of agriculture practices large and small.
In 2017 he opened Cub, a sustainable restaurant, alongside chef Doug McMaster, and a bar, Super Lyan in the former site of White Lyan. - In 2018, Dandelyan came in first place in the World's 50 Best Bars awards, just days after Chetiyawardana announced that he planned to close the bar to make way for a new approach to cocktails in the form of Lyaness, which opened in 2019. Less than a month later he relocated Super Lyan to Amsterdam, reutilising the previous space as a base for his consultancy business Mr Lyan Studio.
Silver Lyan, Chetiyawardana’s first foray in the United States is scheduled to open in Washington DC in late 2019.
Bars & Restaurants
- Lyaness - Sea Containers House, London
- Super Lyan - Kimpton de Witt Hotel, Amsterdam (formerly, London)
- Cub - Hoxton, London
- Good Things to Drink with Mr Lyan and Friends Frances Lincoln; 01 edition (1 Oct. 2015) ISBN 9780711236714
- Good Together: Drink & Feast with Mr Lyan & Friends Frances Lincoln (28 Sept. 2017) ISBN 0711238979
- "Lyaness: Exclusive first taste of Ryan Chetiyawardana's new cocktail bar – London Evening Standard". standard.co.uk. 2019. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "Mr Lyan reveals details of second book – The Spirits Business". thespiritsbusiness.com. 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- Amy Bryant (23 October 2015). "Inside the World of Mr Lyan, King of Cocktails". telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- Denny Kallivoka. "Ryan Chetiyawardana - Bar Operator". diffordsguide.com.
- "The bar with no ice no fruit and no brands". London Evening Standard. October 2013.
- "Dandelyan - Worlds 50 Best Bars". worlds50bestbars.com. 2018.
- Zachary Weiss (July 2015). "This Man Was Crowned the World's Best Bartender". Observer.
- Holly Patrick (10 October 2017). "Cheers to Cub: a new concept restaurant with cocktails at its core". Wallpaper*.
- "Goodbye White Lyan Hello Super Lyan". imbibe.com. 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "These Are the Top 50 Bars in the World". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2018-10-04.
- "Mr Lyan Goes International With Three New Venues". imbibe.com. 16 January 2019.
- Gabe Hiate (15 January 2019). "Team Behind the 'World's Best Bar' Will Open Its First American Outpost in D.C." DC.Eater.com.
- Amy Bryant (23 October 2015). "Insider the World of Mr Lyan, King of Cocktails". The Telegraph.
- "Mr Lyan Pre-Bottled Cocktails - Master of Malt". masterofmalt.com. 2019. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "Mr lyan Opens Lyaness Bar In London". barmagazine.com. 2019. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "A first look at Super Lyan Amsterdam". masterofmalt.com. 2019. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "Mr Lyan To Launch Drinks Led Restaurant". thedrinksbusiness.com. 2019. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "Game Changing Bar White Lyan To Close". thedrinksbusiness.com. 2016. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "Dandelyan Londons Worlds Best Cocktail Bar". london.eater.com. 2018. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
|This English biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|