Ryan Cook (baseball)
Cook with the Oakland Athletics
|Chicago Cubs – No. --|
June 30, 1987 |
|July 20, 2011, for the Arizona Diamondbacks|
(through 2015 season)
|Earned run average||3.43|
|Career highlights and awards|
Ryan William Cook (born June 30, 1987) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Chicago Cubs of Major League Baseball (MLB). He has also played in MLB for the Arizona Diamondbacks, Oakland Athletics and Boston Red Sox. He was an MLB All-Star in 2012.
Cook attended Clovis High School and the University of Southern California, where he played college baseball for the USC Trojans baseball team. He was drafted by the Diamondbacks in the 27th round of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft.
He was called up to the majors for the first time on July 20, 2011.
On April 27, 2012, against the Baltimore Orioles, Cook became the 61st player in MLB history to record four strikeouts in one inning. He was the Athletics' representative at the 2012 All-Star Game where he pitched a perfect seventh inning. In 2013, Cook repeated his 2012 performance by going 6-4 in 71 games. His ERA was 2.54 while recording 67 strikeouts in 67 innings. Despite a pair of injuries during the 2014 season, Cook was a solid bullpen piece for the A's, appearing in 54 games while going 1-3.
Cook was claimed off waivers by the Chicago Cubs on November 6, 2015.
Cook throws four pitches. His main offering and best pitch is a hard four-seam fastball at 94–97 mph. He also features a sweeping slider (84–86), hard splitter (88–91), and two-seam fastball (94–97). Right-handed hitters see almost exclusively four-seamers and sliders, while lefties see a mix of all four of his pitches.
- Matthews, Alan. 2005. High Heat: West Coast Parity Makes For Close Contests. Baseball America (March 24, 2005).
- Arizona Diamondbacks call up 2 pitchers from minor leagues
- Gilbert, Steve (December 9, 2011). "D-backs pick up Cahill, Breslow from A's". MLB.com. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- "A's Ryan Cook pitches a perfect 7th" by John Shea, San Francisco Chronicle. Accessed July 11, 2012.
- Doyle, Ricky (July 31, 2015). "Red Sox Acquire Pitcher Ryan Cook From Athletics At MLB Trade Deadline". NESN. Retrieved July 31, 2015.
- Stiglitch, Joe (March 14, 2012). "Oakland A's notebook: Ryan Cook making strong impression with new team". Times-Standard. Retrieved May 1, 2012.
- "PITCHf/x Player Card: Ryan Cook". BrooksBaseball.net. Retrieved May 1, 2012.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Ryan Cook on Twitter