|Born||1981 (age 39–40)|
San Diego, California, U.S
|Education||UC San Diego|
University of Rochester
|Known for||Node.js & Deno|
Early life and education
Dahl grew up in San Diego, California. His mother got him an Apple IIc when he was six years old, one of his first experiences with technology. Ryan attended a community college in San Diego and later transferred into UC San Diego where he studied mathematics. He went on to attend grad school for Mathematics at the University of Rochester where he studied algebraic topology, which he found "very abstract and beautiful" for a couple of years but later got bored of it because "it was not so applicable to real life."
After working on the Node project since 2009, Dahl announced in January, 2012 that he would step away from the project and turn over the reins to NPM creator and former Joyent employee Isaac Z. Schlueter.
Ryan Dahl gave the following reason for moving on from the project:
“After three years of working on Node, this frees me up to work on research projects. I am still an employee at Joyent and will advise from the sidelines but I won’t be involved in the day-to-day bug fixes.”
- "Facebook launches two datasets to improve AI video analysis t". Venturebeat.com.
- "Node.js Interview: 4 Questions with Creator Ryan Dahl". Americaninno.com. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- "The Birth of Node: Where Did it Come From? Creator Ryan Dahl Shares the History - SiliconANGLE". Siliconangle.com. 1 April 2013. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- "A History of Node.js". BuiltInNode.com. 17 November 2016. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- "One year with Node.js". Joyent.com. 16 June 2015. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- "Node.js creator Ryan Dahl steps away from Node's day-to-day". Venturebeat.com. 30 January 2012. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- Krill, Paul. "Ryan Dahl's Node.js regrets lead to Deno". InfoWorld. Retrieved 2018-09-10.