Early life and education
Dahl (born in 1981) grew up in San Diego, California. His mother got him an Apple IIc when he was six years old, one of his first experiences with technology. Ryan attended a community college in San Diego and later transferred into UC San Diego where he studied mathematics. He went on to attend grad school for Mathematics at the University of Rochester where he studied algebraic topology, which he once found "very abstract and beautiful" for a couple of years but later got bored of it because "it was not so applicable to real life."
Once he realized that he did not want to be a mathematician for the rest of his life, he dropped out of the PhD program and bought a one-way ticket to South America and lived there for a year, where he found a job as a web developer. He worked on a Ruby on Rails website for a snowboard company.
After working on the Node project since 2009, Dahl announced in January, 2012 that he would step away from the project and turn over the reins to NPM creator and then Joyent employee Isaac Z. Schlueter.
Ryan Dahl gave the following reason for moving on from the project:
“After three years of working on Node, this frees me up to work on research projects. I am still an employee at Joyent and will advise from the sidelines but I won’t be involved in the day-to-day bug fixes.”
After leaving the Node.js project, Ryan Dahl went on to write the foreword for Node: Up and Running, a 2012 O'Reilly book written by Tom Hughes-Croucher and Mike Wilson, where he stated that he had recovered from his initial reservations about the technology:
“Although I was once reserved about recommending it for mission-critical applications, I now heartily recommend Node for even the most demanding server systems."
- "Episode 8: Interview with Ryan Dahl, Creator of Node.js - Mapping The Journey". Mappingthejourney.com. 31 August 2017. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- "Facebook launches two datasets to improve AI video analysis t". Venturebeat.com.
- "Introduction to Node.js with Ryan Dahl". Sitepoint.com. 21 October 2012. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- "Node.js Interview: 4 Questions with Creator Ryan Dahl". Americaninno.com. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- "The Birth of Node: Where Did it Come From? Creator Ryan Dahl Shares the History - SiliconANGLE". Siliconangle.com. 1 April 2013. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- "Deep inside Node.js with Ryan Dahl". InfoQ.com. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- "Episode 8: Interview with Ryan Dahl, Creator of Node.js - Mapping The Journey". Mapping The Journey. 2017-08-31. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "A History of Node.js". BuiltInNode.com. 17 November 2016. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- "One year with Node.js". Joyent.com. 16 June 2015. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- "Node.js creator Ryan Dahl steps away from Node's day-to-day". Venturebeat.com. 30 January 2012. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- "Node: Up and Running". OReilly.com. 2012. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- JSConf (2018-06-06), 10 Things I Regret About Node.js - Ryan Dahl - JSConf EU 2018, retrieved 2018-09-10
- "Ryan Dahl is fixing his Node.js design regrets with Deno - JAXenter". JAXenter. 2018-06-27. Retrieved 2018-09-10.
- Krill, Paul. "Ryan Dahl's Node.js regrets lead to Deno". InfoWorld. Retrieved 2018-09-10.
|This article about an engineer, inventor or industrial designer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|