||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Ryan Michael Dungey|
Nickname: The Diesel
December 4, 1989 |
Belle Plaine, Minnesota
|Current team||Redbull KTM|
|Bike number||# 5 Career #1 2016 SX/MX #1 2017 SX|
Ryan Michael Dungey (born December 4, 1989) is an American professional motocross racer competing in the AMA Supercross and Motocross championships. Ryan Dungey is the current 450cc class Monster Energy Supercross champion and AMA 450 Motocross Champion.
Born in Belle Plaine, Minnesota , Ryan Dungey currently resides in Tallahassee, Florida, with his wife Lindsay Dungey. He currently rides for the Austrian motorcycle manufacturer, KTM, on their premiere North American factory racing team, RedBull KTM. Ryan Dungey trains with legendary trainer Aldon Baker and is mentored by Red Bull KTM team manager, Roger DeCoster. Ryan Dungey has the distinction of being one of the few professional motocross athletes to turn pro directly from the "B" class in amateur racing; a feat that has not been successfully accomplished many times.
Dungey has won every major title in American Motocross and Supercross. Dungey has also been crowned the champion of the world's largest international motocross race, the Motocross des Nations, three times. In total, Ryan Dungey currently has seven major AMA championships which place him among the best motocrossers of all time. Dungey is tied for 6th place in all-time 450 Supercross race wins (31) and 6th place in all-time Supercross combined wins (43). In motocross, Dungey is in 2nd place in all-time 450 motocross overall wins (39) and 3rd place in all-time combined motocross overall wins (46). Finally, Ryan Dungey is in 4th place in all-time combined Supercross and Motocross wins with 77 total race wins. Apart from his championships, Dungey is known for his friendliness, charity work, consistent podium finishes and near-textbook riding style.
Dungey was born to Troy and Michelle Dungey in 1989. He has two brothers, Jade and Blake. Ryan's brothers and father were amateur racers as well. In 2006, at the age of 16, Dungey auditioned and was signed to a pro contract  Dungey married girlfriend Lindsay Siegle on November 1, 2014. They met at Annie's Cafe in Belle Paine, Minnesota in 2007.
Dungey is a spokesperson for LIVESTRONG after losing his grandmother to cancer in 2005. He became a member of the Global Envoy Team in 2011. After partnering with Target in 2012 and 2013, Dungey held the MN River-to-River Ride to benfit St. Jude's Children's Hospital.
Ryan Dungey's Rookie Season was predicted to be a 6-10 finish season in Supercross Standings. James Stewart was the heavy favorite coming off of his 2nd Monster Energy Supercross Championship. Dungey's season started off strong with leading most of the first race of the season until James Stewart made the pass. Dungey did battle back though and almost made a last lap pass. Dungey came back strong with 2 straight wins in round 2 and round 3. Dungey went on to win 6 races that season and in turn became the second rookie ever to win the Supercross Championship as a Rookie. Jeremy McGrath "King of Supercross" was the only other rider to do so.
Ryan had a slow start to his AMA motocross season. The first race was at Hangtown,(a writers note here) is that he has yet to win this event. The 2nd Round he bounced back and won both Motos. Dungey won 10 out of the 11 straight overalls and captured his first AMA Lucas Oil Motocross 450 Championship.
2016 AMA Supercross/Motocross Season
|2||January 16||San Diego||1st||47||1st|
|3||January 23||Anaheim II||1st||72||1st|
|6||February 13||San Diego||1st||144||1st|
|12||April 2nd||Santa Clara||1st||278||1st|
|14||April 16||Saint Louis||1st||328||1st|
|16||April 30||East Rutherford||4th||366||1st|
|17||May 7th||Las Vegas||1st||391||1st|
- 2009 AMA West Coast SX Lites Champion
- 2009 AMA 250 Motocross Champion
- 2009 Motocross des Nations Champion
- 2010 AMA Monster Energy Supercross 450 Champion (Rookie Season)
- 2010 AMA 450 Motocross Champion (Rookie Season)
- 2010 Motocross des Nations Champion (Team USA)
- 2011 Motocross des Nations Champion (Team USA)
- 2012 AMA 450 Motocross Champion
- 2015 AMA Monster Energy Supercross 450 Champion
- 2015 AMA 450 Motocross Champion
- 2015 ESPY Award for Best Male Action Sports Athlete
- 2016 First Motocross Rider on Wheaties Box
- 2016 AMA Monster Energy Supercross 450 Champion
Total Career AMA Wins
- 12 in Supercross Lites Class
- 31 in Supercross Class 6-2010 1-2011 4-2012 2-2013 1-2014 8-2015 9-2016 (6th all-time)
- 7 in Motocross 250 Class 3-2008 4-2009
- 39 in Motocross 450 Class 10-2010 4-2011 10-2012 3-2013 4-2014 7-2015 1-2016 (2nd all-time 450s)
- 77 AMA total wins (4th all-time) 3-2008 4-2009 16-2010 5-2011 14-2012 5-2013 5-2014 15-2015 10-2016
- (Supercross 125/250 Lites class wins are regional and excluded from total wins)
- "Motocross Racer Ryan Dungey Leaving Big Marks on B.P. - Belle Plaine Herald". Belle Plaine Herald. Retrieved 2016-04-25.
- "Lindsay & Ryan's Wedding Website". www.theknot.com. Retrieved 2016-04-25.
- "Bio - Ryan Dungey". ryandungey.com. Retrieved 2016-04-25.
- "AMA Supercross - Event Results". AMA Supercross Event Results. Retrieved 1 May 2016.
- "AMA Supercross- Event Results" (PDF). AMA Supercross. AMA Pro Racing.