Ryan Gabrielson is an American investigative journalist.
Gabrielson began his career in journalism at The Monitor in McAllen, Texas. He reported for the East Valley Tribune in Mesa, Arizona. In 2009 and 2010 he was a fellow in the Investigative Reporting Program at University of California, Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism, which supports investigative reporters "in an era of cutbacks at major news organizations". He is currently working for California Watch and the Center for Investigative Reporting as a public safety reporter. Gabrielson reported on an in-house police force at California's board-and-care institutions for the disabled. Through this work, he expose how officers "routinely failed to do basic work on criminal cases" such as suspicious deaths.
For the East Valley Tribune in 2008, Gabrielson and Paul Giblin investigated the immigration-enforcement operations of the Maricopa County Sherriff's Office. Next April they won the annual Pulitzer Prize for Local Reporting citing "their adroit use of limited resources to reveal, in print and online, how a popular sheriff's focus on immigration enforcement endangered investigation of violent crime and other aspects of public safety." (Giblin had been laid off in Tribune cutbacks at the turn of the year, and Gabrielson announced his departure for the Berkeley fellowship in the summer.)
Ryan Gabrielson was sued for Defamation in Federal Court Case #Case 2:14-cv-02352-GMS, which was dismissed by summary judgement on July 25, 2016.
- 2008 George Polk Award
- 2009 Pulitzer Prize
- Online Journalism Award for investigative reporting
- Sigma Delta Chi Award
- Everett-Haynes, La Monica & Jeff Harrison (April 20, 2009). "UA Alumni Share Pulitzer Prize". UANews. The University of Arizona. Retrieved 2013-08-18.
- Stern, Ray (June 12, 2009). "Pulitzer-Prize-Winning Reporter Ryan Gabrielson Leaving East Valley Tribune for UC-Berkeley Fellowship". Phoenix New Times blogs (blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com). Retrieved 2013-08-18.
- "Course Curriculum: Investigative Reporting". Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism (journalism.berkeley.edu). Retrieved 2013-08-18.
- "IRP Fellow Ryan Gabrielson's Project on DUI Checkpoints Launches in The New York Times, NewsHour and Elsewhere". Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism (journalism.berkeley.edu). March 4, 2010. Retrieved 2013-08-18.
- "Ryan Gabrielson". California Watch (californiawatch.org). Retrieved 2013-06-28.
- "The 2009 Pulitzer Prize Winners: Local Reporting". The Pulitzer Prizes. Retrieved 2013-11-07. With short biographies and reprints of ten works (Tribune articles July 9 to July 13, 2008).
- Culbertson, Matt (April 21, 2009). "East Valley Tribune wins Pulitzer for Arpaio series". Phoenix Business Journal (bizjournals.com). Retrieved 2013-08-18.
- "Logan Symposium: How the Sausage Is Made? (Journalists)", Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
|This article about an American journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|