|Born||June 16, 1987 (age 28)
Sacramento, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of California, Riverside|
|Notable works||Trust Me, I'm Lying , The Obstacle Is the Way|
Ryan Holiday (born June 16, 1987) is an American author, writer, and marketer. He is the media strategist behind authors Tucker Max and Robert Greene, the former Director of Marketing for American Apparel and an editor-at-large for the New York Observer.
Holiday began his professional career after dropping out of college at the age of 19. Ryan briefly attended University of California, Riverside, where he studied political science and creative writing. He worked for Tucker Max, the controversial fratire author. Later, Holiday would work with Robert Greene, author of The 48 Laws of Power, on Greene's 2009 New York Times bestselling book, The 50th Law. Today, he still advises or works with a variety of bestselling authors including Max, Greene, and Timothy Ferriss. Holiday served as Director of Marketing for American Apparel and as an adviser to founder Dov Charney. He left the company in October 2014.
Holiday has also written for Forbes, Fast Company, The Huffington Post, The Columbia Journalism Review, ThoughtCatalog, Medium.com and the New York Observer, where he is the media columnist.
In July 2012, Holiday's first book Trust Me, I'm Lying: Confessions of a Media Manipulator was released by Portfolio/Penguin. The book purports to expose flaws in current online journalism system and catalogs the author's exploitation of them. It debuted on the Wall Street Journal bestseller list. Holiday’s second book Growth Hacker Marketing was originally published in September 2013 by Portfolio/Penguin and then expanded into a print edition in 2014. The book attempts to show how traditional marketing efforts (billboards, press releases) are no longer the most effective, and why growth hacking is cheaper and more effective in today’s market. The book uses companies such as Facebook, Airbnb, Dropbox, and Uber as examples and was named one of Inc. Magazine's top 10 marketing books of 2014. Holiday’s third book The Obstacle Is The Way, was published May 1, 2014, also by Portfolio/Penguin. The book is based on the Stoic exercise of framing obstacles as opportunities.
- Reclaiming Their Moment New York Times. By VINCENT M. MALLOZZI MARCH 1, 2015
- Keen, Andrew (July 16, 2012). "Keen On… Ryan Holiday: Confessions Of A Media Manipulator". TechCrunch.
- Mob rule: a manipulator’s guide to social media Financial Times. By Gillian Tett July 27, 2012 8:12 pm
- PR exec tells all about manipulating the media -- and spreading lies online New York PostBy LARRY GETLEN 7:08 AM, July 15, 2012
- Chan, Tracie (April 5, 2012). "Tucker Max's Publicist Is Really Good At His Job". Austinist.
- Will Dov Charney's Ouster Affect American Apparel's Marketing? We ask director of marketing Ryan Holiday Adweek.com
- "Ryan Holiday: Linkedin". Linkedin.
- Holiday, Ryan (July 19, 2012). "How Dropping Out Can Change Your Life". UnCollege.
- "PreneurCast078: Conversation with Ryan Holiday". Preneur Media.
- Raley, Joshua (February 28, 2012). "An Interview with Ryan Holiday". Silicon Bayou News.
- Knutsson, Robert. "Our hatred of sexism is the strategy itself". SvD.
- Verified Twitter conversation with Adweek reporter
- American Apparel Names Female CEO to Replace Controversial Founder Dov Charney Adweek.com
- Alfonsi, Sharyn (January 11, 2013). "Booming Business of Extreme Pranks: When Cashing in on Viral Videos Crosses the Line". ABC News 20/20.
- Horgan, Richard. "Ryan Holiday is Now Betabeat’s Editor-at-Large". MediaBistro.
- "Contributor Profile: Ryan Holiday". Forbes.
- "Ryan Holiday's News Feed". Fast Company.
- "Entries by Ryan Holiday". The Huffington Post.
- "Author Archive: Ryan Holiday". Columbia Journalism Review.
- "Off The Media: Ryan Holiday". New York Observer.
- Author Bio ThoughtCatalog.com
- Medium Author Page
- Holiday, Ryan (2012). Trust Me, I'm Lying: Confessions of a Media Manipulator. Portoflio Hardcover. ISBN 978-1591845539.
- Holiday, Ryan (July 19, 2012). "Our gullible press". Columbia Journalism Review.
- "Best-Selling Books, Week Ended July 22". Wall Street Journal. July 27, 2012.
- Scwabel, Dan. "Ryan Holiday: Why All Marketers Should Be Growth Hackers". Forbes.
- Zetlin, Minda. "Want a Million Customers? Become a Growth Hacker". INC.
- Top 10 Marketing Books of 2014 Inc.com
- Obront, Zach. "Features: ‘The Obstacle is the Way’: Interview with Ryan Holiday". Exeter.
- Miller, Tessa. "I'm Ryan Holiday, and This Is How I Work". LifeHacker.