October 1, 1983 |
Lindenhurst, New York, United States
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st)|
|Reach||74.0 in (188 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Farmingdale, New York|
|Team||Long Island MMA
|Rank||Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu |
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
LaFlare was born and raised in Lindenhurst, New York, attending Lindenhurst High School where he was a League I runner-up, and placed 6th at the Suffolk County/Section XI Championships in wrestling. LaFlare then continued his career at Nassau Community College, but shifted his attention to lacrosse after a snowboarding accident. He later transferred to Farmingdale State College where he became the school's all-time leading goal scorer and was also an honorable mention All-American. LaFlare began practicing Brazilian jiu-jitsu upon graduation, before transitioning into mixed martial arts. He also previously worked for the MMA stats website Compustrike, which he claims gave him a better understanding of the sport.
Mixed martial arts career
LaFlare compiled an undefeated 6-0 record with all finishes with all of his bouts taking place in the New Jersey-based promotion Ring of Combat. There was a 2.5 year gap between his last two wins due to a plethora of injuries and the successful return got him a call up to Strikeforce. However the organization would be absorbed by the UFC shortly after signing him and he would never compete. Believing that he was free to sign elsewhere he signed with World Series of Fighting at was tentatively booked to face Josh Burkman at WSOF 2. However two weeks after the bout was announced LaFlare was called by the UFC and informed that he was under contract with them due to his previous Strikeforce contract being absorbed.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
LaFlare was scheduled to face Alexander Yakovlev on July 23, 2016 at UFC on Fox 20. However, LaFlare pulled out of the fight in early June after sustaining an undisclosed injury and replaced by Kamaru Usman.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|15 matches||13 wins||2 losses|
|Loss||13–2||Alex Oliveira||KO (punch)||UFC on Fox: Weidman vs. Gastelum||July 22, 2017||2||1:50||Uniondale, New York, United States|
|Win||13–1||Roan Carneiro||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 208||February 11, 2017||3||5:00||Brooklyn, New York, United States|
|Win||12–1||Mike Pierce||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team McGregor vs. Team Faber Finale||December 11, 2015||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||11–1||Demian Maia||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. LaFlare||March 21, 2015||5||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||11–0||John Howard||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Nogueira vs. Nelson||April 11, 2014||3||5:00||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates|
|Win||10–0||Court McGee||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Benavidez 2||December 14, 2013||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||9–0||Santiago Ponzinibbio||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson||November 9, 2013||3||5:00||Goiânia, Brazil|
|Win||8–0||Ben Alloway||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Mousasi vs. Latifi||April 6, 2013||3||5:00||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Win||7–0||Andrew Osborne||Submission (armbar)||Ring of Combat 43||January 25, 2013||3||2:01||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Defended the Ring of Combat Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||6–0||Mike Medrano||TKO (knee to the body and punches)||Ring of Combat 30||June 11, 2010||1||4:07||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Defended the Ring of Combat Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||5–0||Justin Haskins||KO (punches)||Ring of Combat 28||February 19, 2010||2||1:36||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Won the vacant Ring of Combat Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||4–0||Mark Berrocal||TKO (punches)||Ring of Combat 27||November 20, 2009||1||3:19||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||3–0||Jose Sulsona||Submission (armbar)||Ring of Combat 26||September 11, 2009||2||2:18||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Welterweight debut.|
|Win||2–0||Robert Cunane||KO (punch)||Ring of Combat 25||June 12, 2009||1||1:19||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Catchweight (176 lbs) bout.|
|Win||1–0||Radji Bryson-Barrett||Submission (armbar)||Ring of Combat 20||June 27, 2008||1||2:38||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Catchweight (175 lbs) bout.|
- "UFC Fight Night 32 Preview - Santiago Ponzinibbio vs. Ryan LaFlare". Inside Fights. November 8, 2013.
- "UFC on FOX 9: Ryan LaFlare Took Short Notice Fight Without Hesitation". mmajunderground.com. March 21, 2015.
- Steven Muehlhausen (March 21, 2015). "UFC Fight Night 62: Why Ryan LaFlare contemplated not fighting again". sportingnews.com.
- "UFC on FUEL TV 9 adds Alloway-LaFlare". mmajunkie.com. February 9, 2013.
- Guilherme Cruz (August 24, 2013). "Santiago Ponzinibbio meets Ryan Laflare at UFC Fight Night 32". mmafighting.com. Retrieved August 24, 2013.
- Tim Burke. "Ryan LaFlare in for Kelvin Gastelum, faces Court McGee at UFC on Fox 9". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- Mike Chiappetta (2014-02-14). "John Howard vs. Ryan LaFlare targeted for UFC's Abu Dhabi show". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- Staff (2014-04-29). "Gunnar Nelson mætir ósigruðum Bandaríkjamanni í Dyflinni". visir.is. Retrieved 2014-04-29.
- @YourMMA. "LaFlare Injured, Nelson Gets New Opponent For UFC Dublin". YourMMA.tv. Retrieved 2014-05-28.
- Guilherme Cruz (2015-01-22). "Demian Maia vs. Ryan LaFlare verbally agreed for UFC Fight Night 62 in Brazil". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-01-22.
- Thomas Myers (2015-03-22). "UFC Fight Night 62 results: Demian Maia grinds, smothers Ryan LaFlare for 25 torturous minutes". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2015-03-22.
- Damon Martin (2015-08-19). "Ultimate Fighter 22 Finale confirmed, two fights added to Dec 11 card in Las Vegas". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-12-11). "TUF 22 Finale results: Ryan LaFlare takes unanimous decision over Mike Pierce". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-12-11.
- Staff (2016-04-04). "UFC on Fox 20 update: 4 bouts confirmed for July 23 card in Chicago". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- Chris Sosa (2016-06-03). "'Nigerian Nightmare' lands spot for UFC event at United Center". redeyechicago.com. Retrieved 2016-06-07.
- Ryan Gerbosi (2016-12-08). "Ryan LaFlare to fight Roan Carneiro at UFC 208 in Brooklyn". newsday.com. Retrieved 2016-12-08.
- Ben Fowlkes (2017-02-11). "UFC 208 results: Ryan LaFlare dominates early, cruises to decision over Roan Carneiro". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-02-11.
- Ryan Gerbosi (2017-05-25). "UFC Long Island: Ryan LaFlare becomes latest LI fighter added to Nassau Coliseum card, will face Alex Oliveira". newsday.com. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "UFC on FOX 25 results: Alex Oliveira perfectly times right hand to knock out Ryan LaFlare". MMAjunkie. 2017-07-22. Retrieved 2017-07-23.
- "UFC Fight Night 62: Maia vs. LaFlare Results". mmanuts.com. March 22, 2015. Retrieved March 22, 2015.