Perry with the Detroit Tigers
|Born: February 13, 1987|
|April 8, 2009, for the Detroit Tigers|
|Last MLB appearance|
|May 30, 2012, for the Washington Nationals|
|Earned run average||4.36|
Born in Pomona, California, Perry played collegiate baseball at the University of Arizona. While at Arizona, he pitched alongside future Tigers teammate Daniel Schlereth. In 2007, he played collegiate summer baseball for the Orleans Cardinals of the Cape Cod Baseball League, where he was named a league all-star, and earned the save in the annual all-star game.
Perry was drafted by the Detroit Tigers with the 21st overall selection in the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft. At the end of 2008 Baseball America named him the Detroit Tigers second best prospect, behind Rick Porcello. On April 1, 2009 it was announced that Perry would make the opening day roster for the Tigers for the 2009 season.
He began the 2010 season as a middle relief pitcher for Detroit. He recorded his first career win May 1 against the Los Angeles Angels by pitching two-thirds of an inning.
Perry posted a 3.79 ERA over 61 2⁄3 innings in Detroit as a rookie, walking 38 and striking out 60. He recorded two saves the following season, allowing 55 hits over 62 2⁄3 innings, but his strikeout rate fell precipitously, a trend that continued in 2011 and beyond.
Return to Detroit
- "Under Armour Cape League All-Star Game". capecodbaseball.org. Retrieved August 2, 2019.
- Beck, Jason (June 5, 2008). "Tigers pluck power arm in Round 1: Perry choice marks third year in a row club takes pitcher first". MLB.com. Retrieved May 29, 2009.
- Morosi, Jon Paul (November 20, 2008). "Detroit Tigers top 10 prospects". Baseball America. Retrieved May 29, 2009.
- Beck, Jason (April 1, 2009). "Porcello and Perry earn roster spots: Larish and Clevlen compete for final bench opening". MLB.com. Archived from the original on April 4, 2009. Retrieved May 29, 2009.
- Beck, Jason (April 8, 2009). "Miner, power performance net first win: Cabrera's two homers, Inge's long ball too much for Jays". MLB.com. Archived from the original on April 15, 2009. Retrieved May 29, 2009.
- Perry placed on DL; Gonzalez called up MLB.com June 10, 2010
- Tigers activate setup man Perry from DL Archived 2010-07-07 at the Wayback Machine MLB.com July 3, 2010
- Parent, John (May 28, 2011). "Ryan Perry Optioned Out, Tigers Recall Andy Oliver". Motor City Bengals. Retrieved May 28, 2011.
- Kilgore, Adam (9 December 2011). "Nationals trade Collin Balester to Tigers for Ryan Perry". Washington Post. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- Beck, Jason (February 27, 2015). "Tigers sign former first-round pick Perry to Minors deal". MLB.com. Retrieved February 27, 2015.
- Wagner, John (June 10, 2015). "Mud Hens split doubleheader against Syracuse". The Blade. Retrieved June 10, 2015.