Ryan Sallans, 2011
|Alma mater||University of Nebraska-Lincoln|
|Occupation||Public speaker, activist, author|
|Employer||Ryan Sallans Inc|
|Known for||LGBT activism, public speaking, author|
|Home town||Aurora, Nebraska|
Ryan Sallans (born 1979) is an American LGBT rights advocate and out trans man. Sallans began his transition in 2005. He travels the United States speaking to professionals, college audiences, and youth about being transgender and the changing nature of health care.
Sallans has been featured in Closer Magazine, the Salina Journal, The Reader, NewsNetNebraska,Oddee.com, The Advocate, and many more including The Chicago Bureau, BuzzFeed, and US News. He shares his story about his struggle with an eating disorder and how he came to terms with his gender identity.
Sallans was a guest on Larry King Live in 2007 and 2009. He has also appeared on Ricki: The New Ricki Lake Show in 2012  and Trisha in 2012. In 2013 he was interviewed on the NPR radio show, On Point with Tom Ashbrook  and also on HuffPost Live with Josh Zepps.
In 2005, Sallans began undergoing a physical and social gender transition. He had a bilateral mastectomy with nipple grafts performed the beginning of May 2005 before beginning hormone therapy in June. During this time he was featured in the LOGO documentary, Gender Rebel, which captured him at the beginning of his transition. In July 2005, a Nebraska Court granted his request for a name change and he legally completed his transition in October 2005, when he had his gender officially changed on all of his legal documents including his birth certificate. Ryan also underwent bottom surgery in the form of a hysterectomy in 2006 and a metoidioplasty in 2008.
- Sallans, Ryan. "The Story Of My Coming Out and The Beginning of My Transition"
- Raymond, Victoria. "I Beat Anorexia by Becoming a Man". CloserOnline. June 23, 2006.
- Strand, Michael. "Nebraskan Likes Being A Man" Salina Journal, November 24, 2009.
- Stohs-Krause, Hilary. "Facility serves and educates about minority group". The Reader. October 27, 2010.
- Angelina, Ruth. "Transgender activist seeks acceptance for his community". NewsNetNebraska. April 4, 2011.
- Jenkins, Beverly. "10 Handsome Men: Who Were Born Female" Odee.com, January 18, 2012.
- Anderson-Minshall, Diane. "Op-ed: Where'd You Get That Body From?". The Advocate, June 12, 2013.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-08-26. Retrieved 2014-08-21.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Larry King (host) (2007-08-10). "Sex Change Surgery". Larry King Live. CNN. Transcript.
- Larry King (host) (2009-07-24). "Born Into the Wrong Body". Larry King Live. CNN. Transcript.
- Ricki Lake (host) (2012-12-11). "Trapped in the Wrong Body". Ricki: The New Ricki Lake Show.
- Tom Ashbrook (host) (2013-08-28). "Transgender in America". On Pointe.
- Josh Zepps (host) (2013-12-10). "Your Are Your Hormones". HuffPost Live.
- Gender Rebel (TV production). LOGO.
- Wunder, Michael Speaker gives personal face to transgendered lives Archived 2014-03-17 at the Wayback Machine Gateway