Ryan Shupe & the RubberBand
|Ryan Shupe & the RubberBand|
|Origin||Utah, United States|
|Labels||Capitol Nashville, Montage Music Group|
|Past members||Bart Olson
Ryan Shupe & the RubberBand is an American Rock / Bluegrass group founded in the mid-1990s in Ogden, UT. The band's current lineup comprises Ryan Shupe (fiddle, guitar, ukulele, mandolin, lead vocals), Roger Archibald (guitar, vocals), Craig Miner (banjo, bouzouki, mandolin, guitar, vocals), Josh Larsen (bass guitar, string bass, vocals), and Nate Young (drums, vocals). After recording four studio albums on their own independent record label, Ryan Shupe & The RubberBand were signed to Capitol Records in 2005. Their first album for Capitol, 2005's Dream Big, produced a Top 40 hit on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs charts in its title track. The second single from the album, however, failed to chart, and the band was dropped from Capitol. In 2008, the band signed to Montage Music Group and released the album Last Man Standing. After this, the band continued to tour nationally and promote their unique brand of music. In 2010, the band released the album "Brand New Shoes" on their own independent label. This album has many crowd favorites and highlights the cross-genre, acousti-jam sound they have become known for. The band is currently promoting their new album "We Rode On" which leans more into the Rock side of their musical arsenal and have released three videos to promote the upcoming release. These videos are for the songs The Sun Will Shine Again, We Rode On, and Just Say Yes.
Formation and ideology
Ryan Shupe started playing the fiddle at age 5. He played in various musical groups growing up starting with a group of talented 10 yr olds called the "PeeWee Pickers" who toured nationally. His experiences in bands forming and then breaking up led him to the concept of a "rubber band". It would be elastic in members being able to rotate in and out without a name change or breaking a groove. Since their formation they have become one of the most successful musical acts from the state of Utah among other acts such as SHeDAISY, Peter Breinholt, and Neon Trees. The band also made an appearance on the popular U.S. Television show Extreme Makeover: Home Edition on October 18, 2006 for a family in Logan, Utah.
Though the band has played in traditionally country venues and festivals all over the United States (such as the Telluride Music Festival and Nashville, TN) their music draws from various influences such as bluegrass and rock as well. They have been described as "a mix between Dave Matthews Band and Dixie Chicks without the political agenda."
|Title||Album details||Peak chart
|If I Were a Bird||
|Hey Hey Hey||
(re-issue of Hey Hey Hey)
|Last Man Standing||
|Brand New Shoes||
|We Rode On||
|US Country||US Bubbling|
|2005||"Dream Big"||27||13||Dream Big|
|2008||"Be the One"||—||—||Last Man Standing|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
|2005||"Dream Big"||Peter Zavadil|
|2008||"Be the One"||Acosta/Webley|
|2015||"We Rode On"||Jesse Ranney/Doug Goodwin|
- "Ryan Shupe & The RubberBand: Biography". CMT.com. Retrieved 2007-11-24.
- "Ryan Shupe & The RubberBand Release Dream Big". CMT.com. 2005-09-06. Retrieved 2007-11-24.
- "Official Ryan Shupe & The Rubberband Lyrics, Tickets and More! Ryan Shupe & The Rubberband Dream Big Lyrics, Tickets and Official Website". ryanshupe.com. 1969-12-31. Retrieved 2011-07-27.
- "Ryan Shupe & the RubberBand : Biography". CMT.com. Retrieved 2011-07-27.
- Blue Sky Music Camps | Faculty Archived June 19, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Official Ryan Shupe & The Rubberband Lyrics, Tickets and More! Ryan Shupe & The Rubberband Dream Big Lyrics, Tickets and Official Website". Shupe.net. 2010-12-31. Retrieved 2016-03-30.
- "Ryan Shupe & the Rubberband". Nashville.about.com. 2010-08-04. Retrieved 2011-07-27.
- "The unique sounds of Ryan Shupe". Deseret News. 2006-11-24. Retrieved 2011-07-27.
- ""Ryan Shupe - We Rode On"". Daily.plaympe.com. 2015-09-25. Retrieved 2017-01-30.