January 13, 1993|
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
|Height||6 ft 4 in (193 cm)|
|Weight||200 lb (91 kg; 14 st 4 lb)|
Detroit Red Wings
New York Rangers
55th overall, 2011|
Detroit Red Wings
Ryan Sproul (born January 13, 1993) is a Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman who is currently playing with the Hershey Bears in the American Hockey League (AHL). Sproul was drafted 55th overall by the Detroit Red Wings in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
Following his first season with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), Sproul was selected in the second round, 55th overall by the Detroit Red Wings in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
During the 2011-12 season, Sproul was the third-leading scorer for the Greyhounds, and was third amongst all OHL defensemen with 54 points. Sproul recorded 23 goals and 31 assists in 61 games for the Greyhounds.
During the 2012–13 OHL season, Sproul was the Greyhounds second-leading scorer, and led all OHL defensemen with 66 points. Sproul recorded 20 goals and 46 assists in 50 games. Sproul was rewarded for his outstanding play during the season by being named to the OHL's First All-Star Team. Sproul was awarded the Max Kaminsky Trophy as the most outstanding defenceman in the Ontario Hockey League.
On March 25, 2012, the Red Wings signed Sproul to a three-year entry-level contract.
After the Greyhounds were eliminated from the playoffs, Sproul joined the Grand Rapids Griffins for two regular-season games, making his AHL debut on April 20, 2013, in a game against the Lake Erie Monsters.
During the 2013–14 season, in his first full season with the Griffins, Sproul was the second-highest scoring defenseman on the team, recording 11 goals and 21 assists in 72 games. On April 13, 2014, Sproul made his NHL debut for the Detroit Red Wings in a game against the St. Louis Blues.
On September 23, 2016, the Red Wings re-signed Sproul to a two-year contract. On October 3, 2017, Sproul was assigned to the Grand Rapids Griffins. On October 21, 2017, Sproul was traded to the New York Rangers in exchange for Matt Puempel. He was initially assigned to the Rangers' AHL affiliate, the Hartford Wolf Pack, and contributed with 10 goals and 25 points in 44 games. He was later recalled to play out the remaining season with the Rangers, collecting 5 points in 16 games.
As an unrestricted free agent, Sproul was unable to sign a NHL contract over the summer. He was invited to attend the Calgary Flames' training camp on a professional tryout. After appearing in three preseason games, he was released by the Flames on September 26. On October 14, Sproul signed a professional tryout with the Toronto Marlies. After one game, Sproul was released from his tryout. He immediately signed another tryout contract, this time with the Laval Rocket, on October 25. Sproul appeared in 11 games with the Rocket, producing 1 goal and 5 points before he was released from his tryout on November 29, 2018. On December 4, Sproul joined his third AHL club for the season, securing an AHL contract for the remainder of the campaign with the Hershey Bears, affiliate to the Washington Capitals.
|2010–11||Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds||OHL||61||14||19||33||36||—||—||—||—||—|
|2011–12||Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds||OHL||61||23||31||54||53||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds||OHL||50||20||46||66||45||6||2||3||5||0|
|2012–13||Grand Rapids Griffins||AHL||2||0||0||0||2||—||—||—||—||—|
|2013–14||Grand Rapids Griffins||AHL||72||11||21||32||49||10||2||3||5||4|
|2013–14||Detroit Red Wings||NHL||1||0||0||0||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2014–15||Grand Rapids Griffins||AHL||66||5||19||24||26||5||0||0||0||0|
|2015–16||Grand Rapids Griffins||AHL||75||12||23||35||22||9||2||7||9||8|
|2016–17||Detroit Red Wings||NHL||27||1||6||7||6||—||—||—||—||—|
|2017–18||Grand Rapids Griffins||AHL||5||1||3||4||2||—||—||—||—||—|
|2017–18||Hartford Wolf Pack||AHL||44||10||15||25||28||—||—||—||—||—|
|2017–18||New York Rangers||NHL||16||1||4||5||6||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honors
|Third All-Star Team||2011–12|||
|First All-Star Team||2012–13|
|Defenceman of the Year||2012–13|||
|CHL Defenceman of the Year||2012–13|||
- "Sproul Named OHL First Team All-Star". cksn.ca. 2013-05-02. Retrieved 2013-05-02.
- Bowness, Rick (March 25, 2012). "Sproul, Ouellet sign entry-level contracts". Detroit Red Wings. Retrieved March 25, 2012.
- "Ryan Sproul player profile". American Hockey League. 2013-04-20. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Wings in Waiting: Ryan Sproul". Detroit Red Wings. July 16, 2014. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- Kujawa, Kyle (April 12, 2014). "Red Wings recall Ouellet and Sproul". Detroit Red Wings. Retrieved April 12, 2014.
- Kujawa, Kyle (September 23, 2016). "Red Wings re-sign Ryan Sproul". Detroit Red Wings. Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- Kujawa, Kyle (October 3, 2017). "Sproul assigned to Griffins". Detroit Red Wings. Retrieved October 3, 2017.
- Kujawa, Kyle (October 21, 2017). "Detroit acquires Matt Puempel from New York Rangers". Detroit Red Wings. Retrieved October 21, 2017.
- "Sproul hopes to get green light for NHL gig with Flames". Calgary Flames. 2018-09-21. Retrieved 2018-09-23.
- Francis, Eric. "PTO players released by Flames: Gilbert Brule (RW), Jeff Glass (G), Ryan Sproul (D) and Viktor Svedberg (D). Five on waivers (to be sent to minors): Tyler Graovac (C), Morgan Klimchuk (LW), Alan Quine (C), Buddy Robinson (RW) and Kerby Rychel (LW)". Twitter. Retrieved September 26, 2018.
- "Marlies sign defenseman Ryan Sproul". Toronto Marlies. 2018-10-14. Retrieved 2018-10-14.
- "Laval Rocket sign Ryan Sproul to PTO". Laval Rocket. 2018-10-25. Retrieved 2018-10-25.
- "Bears sign defenseman Sproul". Hershey Bears. 2018-12-04. Retrieved 2018-12-04.
- "OHL Announces 2012-13 All-Star Teams". Ontario Hockey League. 2012-04-13. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- "Hounds' Sproul OHL Defenceman of Year". Ontario Hockey League. 2013-04-25. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- "CHL Announces 2012-13 Award Winners". Memorial Cup. 2013-05-02. Retrieved 2013-05-02.
- "2013-14 AHL All-Rookie Team announced". American Hockey League. 2014-04-02. Retrieved 2014-04-02.