Strome with the New York Islanders in January 2015
July 11, 1993 |
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||200 lb (91 kg; 14 st 4 lb)|
|Position||Centre / Right Wing|
|NHL team||New York Islanders|
|NHL Draft||5th overall, 2011
New York Islanders
Ryan Edward Strome (born July 11, 1993) is a Canadian ice hockey forward who is currently playing for the New York Islanders of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was selected by the Islanders fifth overall in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and began playing with the team during their 2013–14 season. Previously, Strome played in the major junior level as a member of the Barrie Colts of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) before being traded to the Niagara IceDogs during his first season in the league.
Strome began his professional playing career with the Toronto Marlboros of the Greater Toronto Hockey League (GTHL) during the 2008–09 season. At the Ontario Hockey League's (OHL) 2009 Priority Selection, he was selected eighth overall by the Barrie Colts. During the 2009–10 season, he was traded to the Niagara IceDogs. The IceDogs qualified for the playoffs but were eliminated in the first round, while the Colts would go on to the OHL Championship Finals but were eliminated in four games. During the following season, Strome compiled 106 points in just 65 games. He was named "OHL Player of the Month" in January 2011 and selected to the Second All-Star Team at years end.
After his second season with the IceDogs, Strome became eligible for the National Hockey League (NHL) Entry Draft. He was selected in the first round, fifth overall, in the 2011 draft by the New York Islanders. He was also selected by the Kontinental Hockey League's Amur Khabarovsk in their 2011 draft. After being drafted, Strome spent another season with the IceDogs before joining the Islanders' American Hockey League (AHL) minor league affiliate, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in the 2012–13 season. Halfway through the following season, on December 11, 2013, he was called up to the Islanders after the team had put Pierre-Marc Bouchard on waivers to make room on their roster. Before his call-up, he was leading the AHL in points through the first 23 games of the season. Strome scored his first NHL goal on January 6, 2014 against Kari Lehtonen of the Dallas Stars.
Strome has two brothers who also play hockey, Dylan and Matthew. Dylan currently plays in the National Hockey League with the Arizona Coyotes and the youngest brother Matthew plays in the Ontario Hockey League for the Hamilton Bulldogs. The Strome family has been dubbed as the future Sutters and Staals, families where multiple siblings have gone on to successful ice hockey careers.
Regular season and playoffs
|2012–13||Bridgeport Sound Tigers||AHL||10||2||5||7||4||—||—||—||—||—|
|2013–14||Bridgeport Sound Tigers||AHL||37||13||36||49||41||—||—||—||—||—|
|2013–14||New York Islanders||NHL||37||7||11||18||8||—||—||—||—||—|
|2014–15||New York Islanders||NHL||81||17||33||50||47||7||2||2||4||2|
|2015–16||New York Islanders||NHL||71||8||20||28||28||8||1||3||4||2|
|2015–16||Bridgeport Sound Tigers||AHL||8||2||2||4||10||—||—||—||—||—|
|World Junior Championships|
Awards and honours
|OHL Second All-Star Team||2010–11|
|AHL All-Rookie Team||2013–14|
- "2009 Priority Selection Results". Ontario Hockey League. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- "IceDogs acquire highly touted Strome". OurSportsCentral. January 8, 2010. Retrieved June 1, 2010.
- "2009-10 OHL Playoff Results". Internet Hockey Database. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- "Strome named OHL player of the month for January". Niagara IceDogs. February 4, 2011. Retrieved February 1, 2011.
- "OHL Announces 2010-11 All-Star Teams". Ontario Hockey League. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- "2011 NHL Entry Draft selections". National Hockey League. June 25, 2011. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- "2011 KHL Draft". Elite Prospects. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- Schwartz, Peter (December 10, 2013). "Schwartz: Can Ryan Strome Help Turn The Isles' Season Around?". CBS. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- "Islanders Recall Strome". National Hockey League. Retrieved January 7, 2014.
- Rosen, Dave (January 6, 2014). "Tavares' five-point night leads Islanders past Stars". National Hockey League. Retrieved January 7, 2014.
- Gerster, Jane (January 7, 2014). "Stromes, McLeods could be hockey's next Sutters, Staals". Toronto Star. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- "2013-14 AHL All-Rookie Team announced". American Hockey League. April 9, 2014. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- Ryan Strome player profile at NHL.com
- Ryan Strome's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- Ryan Strome career statistics at EliteProspects.com
|Awards and achievements|
|New York Islanders first round pick