Ryan James Thomas
10 June 1984
|Television||Coronation Street (2000–2016)|
Celebrity Big Brother (2018)
|Partner(s)||Tina O'Brien (2003–2009)|
Lucy Mecklenburgh (2017–present)
|Relatives||Adam Thomas (brother)|
Scott Thomas (brother)
Ryan James Thomas (born 10 June 1984) is an English actor. He is known for portraying the role of Jason Grimshaw on ITV soap opera Coronation Street from 2000 until 2016. In 2018, he played Rafael Humphreys in Australian soap opera Neighbours, and won the twenty-second and final series of Celebrity Big Brother.
Thomas was 16 when he made his on-screen debut as Jason Grimshaw in Coronation Street on 25 December 2000. In 2012, Thomas took part in a documentary called Corrie Goes to Kenya, along with his co-stars Brooke Vincent (Sophie Webster), Sue Cleaver (who plays his on-screen mother Eileen Grimshaw) and Ben Price (Nick Tilsley). Thomas said that his time in Kenya changed him as a person and made him realise how much he has in life.
Thomas left Coronation Street in June 2016, after nearly sixteen years in the role. He told Daniel Kilkelly of Digital Spy that he wanted "a different experience" and the chance to pursue other roles. His co-star Terence Maynard, who played his on-screen father Tony Stewart, was also a big factor in his decision to leave the soap. He added "It could be stage, it could be TV, or I could disappear and start learning my craft – start from the bottom and do some acting classes again. These are all things that I need to do because I feel like I haven't done them yet."
He made his panto debut in late-2016 as Prince Charming in the Wyvern Theatre production of Cinderella. The following year, he starred as Captain Hook in Peter Pan at Venue Cymru. In 2018, he played the role at the Beck Theatre, Hayes.
Thomas joined the cast of Australian television soap opera Neighbours in October 2017 as Rafael Humphreys. He made his on-screen debut during the 60-minute "Hit & Run" special on 12 February 2018.
In August 2018, Thomas took part in the 22nd series of Celebrity Big Brother. During the episode broadcast on 30 August, Thomas was seen play fighting with actress Roxanne Pallett. Pallett then accused him of intentionally punching her, although footage showed Thomas did not make physical contact. Big Brother issued Thomas with a warning, leading viewers to make 11,215 complaints to Ofcom about the incident. Pallett has since apologised to Thomas for what she has described as "an overreaction to what wasn't a malicious act". On 10 September 2018, Thomas was announced as the winner of the series.
Thomas dated his Coronation Street co-star Tina O'Brien from 2003 until 2009. They have a daughter together. Thomas has been in a relationship with Lucy Mecklenburgh since 2017. They met while taking part in Celebrity Island with Bear Grylls. He became engaged to Mecklenburgh on 22 June 2019.
- "Happy Birthday Ryan Thomas! The Coronation Street star's hottest moments". Attitude. 10 June 2018. Retrieved 2 September 2018.
- "Celebrity Big Brother 2018: Who is Ryan Thomas, and what's he famous for?". Radio Times. Retrieved 31 August 2018.
- Martinovic, Paul (9 June 2012). "Ryan Thomas, Brooke Vincent for 'Corrie Goes To Kenya' documentary". Digital Spy. Retrieved 31 August 2018.
- McLennan, Patrick (13 August 2012). "Corrie's Ryan: 'Kenya changed me as a person'". What's on TV. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (21 June 2016). "Coronation Street's Ryan Thomas sets the record straight on his shock exit and future plans". Digital Spy. Retrieved 3 September 2017.
- Brien, Jeremy (14 December 2016). "Cinderella review at Wyvern Theatre, Swindon – 'short on star quality'". The Stage. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- Roberts, Annie (14 June 2017). "Coronation Street star swaps cobbles for Llandudno Peter Pan pantomime". North Wales Pioneer. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- Hughes, Johnathon (12 October 2017). "Neighbours: Coronation Street's Ryan Thomas confirmed for new role". Radio Times. Retrieved 12 October 2017.
- Lindsay, Duncan (19 January 2018). "Neighbours spoilers: Late night special for dramatic Izzy Hoyland return and Ryan Thomas' debut". Metro. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- Nattrass, JJ (1 September 2018). "Roxanne Pallett quits Celebrity Big Brother after accusations against Ryan Thomas". Metro. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- "Roxanne Pallett: 'I massively apologise to Ryan'". BBC News. 3 September 2018. Retrieved 3 September 2018.
- "Celebrity Big Brother: Ryan Thomas named winner". BBC News. 10 September 2018. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "Katie Hopkins Hits Out At Coronation Street's Ryan Thomas Over Bankruptcy". The Huffington Post UK. 22 October 2013.
- "Coronation Street actor Ryan Thomas fined for 'drunken row'". BBC News. 26 October 2015. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- "BBC - Strictly Come Dancing 2010 - Celebrities - Tina O'Brien". BBC Online. Retrieved 31 August 2018.
- Rodger, James (22 June 2019). "TOWIE and Coronation Street stars announce engagement". birminghammail. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- "Ryan Thomas and Lucy Mecklenburgh have gotten engaged and just LOOK at the ring". Her.ie. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- "Lucy Mecklenburgh and Ryan Thomas engaged on Italian holiday - Entertainment News from Xposé - Virgin Media Television". Virgin Media Television | Xposé Entertainment. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
Shane Jenek / Courtney Act
| Celebrity Big Brother UK winner
Series 22 (2018)