|Leones de Yucatán|
April 10, 1987 |
|July 17, 2012, for the Kansas City Royals|
(through 2012 season)
|Earned run average||32.40|
Ryan L. Verdugo (born April 10, 1987) is an American professional baseball player for the Leones de Yucatán of the Mexican Baseball League. Verdugo has appeared in one Major League Baseball (MLB) game for the Kansas City Royals.
Verdugo attended Lake Stevens High School in Lake Stevens, Washington. He was chosen by the Philadelphia Phillies in the 43rd round of the 2005 Major League Baseball Draft, but did not sign. Verdugo then attended Skagit Valley College for two years. He was drafted by the San Francisco Giants in the 47th round of the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft, but again did not sign.
Verdugo transferred to Louisiana State University (LSU) for his junior season, where he played for the LSU Tigers baseball team. Following the 2008 season, he was drafted by the Giants in the 9th round (267th overall) of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft, and signed.
Kansas City Royals
Following the 2011 season, Verdugo was traded by the Giants to the Kansas City Royals with Jonathan Sánchez for Melky Cabrera. He was added to the Royals 40 man roster on November 18 to protect him from the Rule 5 draft. Verdugo made his major-league debut on July 17, 2012, against the Seattle Mariners. He allowed six runs in 1 2⁄3 innings, including an RBI double to Jesus Montero and a two-run home run to Justin Smoak, and picked up the loss. The left hander fared better after being sent down to Triple-A Omaha, posting a season record of 12-4 with a 3.75 ERA in 24 starts. Verdugo was designated for assignment by the Royals on November 20, 2012 as they cleared room on the 40-man roster ahead of the Rule 5 draft. He was subsequently outrighted to AAA.
Naranjeros de Hermosillo
Boston Red Sox
Verdugo then signed a minor league deal with the Oakland Athletics, along with LHP Jim Fuller, in November 2014.
Los Angeles Angels
Rojos del Águila de Veracruz
Leones de Yucatán
On July 3, 2016, Verdugo was traded to the Leones de Yucatán.
- Hat, Chris (November 7, 2011). "Giants land Melky by sending Sanchez to KC". MLB.com. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- Royals add Verdugo to 40-man roster
- "Justin Smoak, Michael Saunders smack 2-run homers as Mariners roll". ESPN.com. Associated Press. July 17, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- "Jeremy Guthrie signed to 3-year deal". ESPN.com. Associated Press. November 21, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- "Naranjeros llega a 10 triunfos en LMP" (in Spanish). ESPN Deportes. Associated Press. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- Kaegel, Dick (July 16, 2014). "Royals beef up bullpen by acquiring Frasor". MLB.com. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- Eddy, Matt (November 24, 2014). "Minor League Transactions: Nov. 14-20". Baseball America. Retrieved September 20, 2015.