Ryan Williams (computer scientist)
|Richard Ryan Williams|
Ryan Williams (November 2010)
|Born||1979 (age 37–38)|
|Fields||Computational complexity theory, Algorithms|
|Institutions||Carnegie Mellon University
IBM Almaden Research Center
|Alma mater||Cornell University
Carnegie Mellon University
|Doctoral advisor||Manuel Blum|
Williams received his Ph.D in computer science in 2007 from Carnegie Mellon University under the supervision of Manuel Blum. From 2010 to 2012, he was a member of the Theory Group of IBM Almaden Research Center. Since Fall 2011, he is a professor at Stanford University.
Williams has been a member of the programme committee for the Symposium on Theory of Computing in 2011 and various other conferences. He won the Ron V. Book best student paper award at the IEEE Conference on Computational Complexity in 2005 and 2007, and at the best student paper award at the International Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming in 2004 from the European Association for Theoretical Computer Science.
Williams’s result that the complexity class NEXP is not contained in ACC0 received the best paper award at the Conference on Computational Complexity in 2011. Complexity theorist Scott Aaronson has called the result "one of the most spectacular of the decade".
- Meyerson, Adam; Williams, Ryan (2004), "On the complexity of optimal k-anonymity", Proceedings of the Twenty-third ACM SIGMOD-SIGACT-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems (PODS '04), New York, NY, USA: ACM, pp. 223–228, doi:10.1145/1055558.1055591, ISBN 158113858X
- Williams, R. (2005), "Better Time-Space Lower Bounds for SAT and Related Problems", IEEE Conference on Computational Complexity (CCC), pp. 40–49
- Williams, R. (2005), "A New Algorithm for Optimal 2-Constraint Satisfaction and Its Implications", Theoretical Computer Science, 348 (2-3): 357–365, doi:10.1016/j.tcs.2005.09.023
- Williams, R. (2008), "Time-Space Lower Bounds for Counting NP Solutions Modulo Integers", Computational Complexity, 17 (2): 179–219, doi:10.1007/s00037-008-0248-y
- Williams, R. (2011), "Non-Uniform ACC Circuit Lower Bounds", IEEE Conference on Computational Complexity (CCC) (PDF), pp. 115–125, doi:10.1109/CCC.2011.36
- Ryan Williams at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Curriculum vitae, retrieved 2015-05-16.
- Proceedings of 20th Annual IEEE Conference on Computational Complexity (CCC'05) San Jose, CA June 11-June 15, ISBN 0-7695-2364-1, and Twenty-Second Annual IEEE Conference on Computational Complexity (CCC'07) San Diego, California, June 13-March 16, ISBN 0-7695-2780-9.
- "Best Student ICALP Paper". European Association for Theoretical Computer Science (EATCS).
- Program for CCC2011 at http://computationalcomplexity.org/
- Aaronson, Scott (November 8, 2010), "State of circuit lower bounds now slightly less humiliating", Technology Review, Massachusetts Institute of Technology}.
- Meyerson & Williams (2004).