Rye Studio School
|Rye Studio School|
|Local authority||East Sussex|
|Department for Education URN||139689 Tables|
|Chair of Governors||Sue Schlesinger|
|Age||14 to 19|
Rye Studio School is a mixed studio school located in Rye, East Sussex, England. It opened in 2013 and caters for students aged 14–19 years. It is located on the Rye College campus, is sponsored by the Rye Academy Trust, and is classified as a free school.
As a studio school the curriculum is different from many local secondary schools. The core GCSE subjects of maths, computer science and English language and literature are followed, with the curriculum extended to include performing arts, photography, music, art and creative media to GCSE standard. The school offers mainstream qualifications, using enquiry-based projects, and linked to employment, with local employers involved in all aspects of the curriculum.
In June 2015, the school had its first Ofsted inspection, when the school was judged to be "Outstanding". The inspectors noted that the school had an impressive strategic vision which, only two years after opening, was being fully realised. It was inspected again in 2016 and judged as Requiring Improvement. The inspectors stated that "The founding leaders of the studio school remain rightly proud of the vision. Regrettably, this impressive ambition was not tempered by a realistic understanding of all the managerial skills necessary to lead successful provision".
In March 2017, Rye Studio announced it would be taking no new intakes from the age of 14, and would try and re-brand in 2018/19. There were protests from students and the local community. As of December 2017, the plan is for the school to merge with Rye College in September 2018.
- "URN 139689 Rye Studio School". Department for Education - Edubase. Retrieved 26 December 2015.
- "Meet the Governors". Rye Studio School. Retrieved 26 December 2015.
- Bird, Kenneth (22 June 2014). "Gove opens Rye Studio School". Rye News. Retrieved 26 December 2015.
- "URN 139689 Rye Studio School Establishment Details". Department of Education - Edubase. Retrieved 26 December 2015.
- "Rye Studio School". Studio Schools Trust. Retrieved 26 December 2015.
- Ofsted Report Rye Studio School[permanent dead link]
- "Rye Studio School" (PDF). Ofsted. Retrieved 8 December 2017.
- Camden, Billy (13 March 2017). "Studio school to stop recruiting from 14 and become sixth form". FE Week. Retrieved 8 December 2017.
- "Protesters Demonstrate Against Rye Studio School cuts". Rye and Battle Observer. 14 March 2017.
- Pearce, Janet. "Monitoring inspection visit to Rye Studio School" (PDF). Ofsted. Retrieved 8 December 2017.
|This East Sussex school or sixth form college related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|