Ryu during an autograph event at Lotte World Mall, October 2018
|Born||September 25, 1986|
Suwon, South Korea
|Education||University of Suwon - Film|
|Revised Romanization||Ryu Jun-yeol|
Ryu Jun-yeol (born September 25, 1986) is a South Korean actor. He gained attention through his roles in the film Socialphobia (2015) and his breakthrough role in the television series Reply 1988 (2015–2016). Since then he has appeared in television series Lucky Romance (2016) and films The King (2017) and A Taxi Driver (2017).
While attending university under a scholarship, Ryu took on several part-time jobs, working as a pizza delivery person, a day labourer, and an after-school tutor, among other things. In 2012, Ryu started acting in short films and independent productions, before being cast in a bit part in the 2013 feature film INGtoogi: The Battle of Internet Trolls.
2015–present: Rising popularity
Ryu first drew attention for his performance in Socialphobia in 2015, but it wasn't until later that year that Ryu gained public recognition through starring in the teen series Reply 1988, alongside Lee Hye-ri, Park Bo-gum, Go Kyung-pyo, and Lee Dong-hwi.
Ryu then starred in the coming-of-age film One Way Trip and crime thriller No Tomorrow. The same year, he played his first leading role in romantic-comedy Lucky Romance alongside Hwang Jung-eum.
In 2017, Ryu featured in historical film The King, which won him the Best New Actor award in film at the Baeksang Arts Awards. The same year, he featured in biopic A Taxi Driver, which became the highest grossing Korean film of the year. Ryu also appeared in legal thriller Heart Blackened.
In 2019, Ryu starred in the action thriller film Hit-and-Run Squad directed by Han Jun-hee, crime film Money and historical action film The Battle: Roar to Victory directed by Won Shin-yun.
In December 2018, Ryu was reported to have donated 10 million won (approximately $8,895) to Greenpeace, a non-governmental environmental organisation. He has been making regular donations since 2016, which includes for particular campaigns such as the ‘Save the Arctic’ campaign.
|2013||INGtoogi: The Battle of Internet Trolls||Gym man|
|2014||Midnight Sun||Yong-hoon||Short film|
|People In a Hurry||Jae-hyun|
|Son Na-rae Rescue Operation||Hyun-woo|
|2016||SORI: Voice from the Heart||Seedless strawberry|||
|One Way Trip||Ji-gong|
|The Boys Who Cried Wolf||Dong-chul|||
|2017||The King||Choi Doo-il|
|A Taxi Driver||Goo Jae-sik|
|Heart Blackened||Kim Dong-myeong|
|Believer||Seo Young-rak (Rak)|
|2019||Hit-and-Run Squad||Seo Min-jae|
|The Battle: Roar to Victory||Lee Jang-ha|
|2015||The Producers||Joo Jong-hyun, Rookie PD||KBS2||Cameo (Ep. 1-2)|
|2015–16||Reply 1988||Kim Jung-hwan||tvN|
|2016||Lucky Romance||Je Soo-ho||MBC|
|2016||Youth Over Flowers: Africa||tvN||Cast member|||
Music video appearances
|2014||"Still I'm by Your Side"||Clazziquai Project|
Awards and nominations
|2015||KAFA FILMS 2015||Rising Star||Socialphobia||Won|||
|2016||Korea First Brand Awards||Special Award for Figure||N/A||Won|||
|InStyle Star Icon||New Generation Actor Award||Socialphobia, Reply 1988||Nominated|
|11th Max Movie Awards||Best New Actor||Socialphobia||Won|||
|21st Chunsa Film Art Awards||Best New Actor||Nominated|||
|3rd Wildflower Film Awards||Best New Actor / Actress||Nominated|
|10th Korean Cable TV Awards||Rising Star||Reply 1988||Won|||
|52nd Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actor (TV)||Won|||
|1st tvN10 Awards||Made in tvN, Actor in Drama||Nominated|
|Rising Star Award, Actor||Won|||
|1st Asia Artist Awards||Best Rookie Award, Actor||Won|||
|2nd Fashionista Awards||Best Fashionista - TV Division||N/A||Won|||
|35th MBC Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries||Lucky Romance||Nominated|
|Best New Actor||Won|||
|2017||53rd Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actor (Film)||The King||Won|||
|26th Buil Film Awards||Best Supporting Actor||Nominated|||
|1st The Seoul Awards||Best New Actor (Film)||Won|||
|38th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best New Actor||A Taxi Driver||Nominated|
|3rd Fashionista Awards||Best Fashionista – SNS Division||N/A||Nominated|||
|2nd Asia Artist Awards||Best Star Award – Actor||A Taxi Driver||Won|||
|2018||23rd Chunsa Film Art Awards||Best Supporting Actor||Nominated|||
|18th Korea World Youth Film Festival||Popular Actor Award||Little Forest||Won|||
|3rd Asia Artist Awards||Artist of the Year||N/A||Won|||
|2019||18th New York Asian Film Festival||Star Asia Rising Star Award||Won|||
|39th Golden Cinema Film Festival||Cinematographers’ Choice Popularity Award||Believer||Won|||
|10th Korean Popular Culture & Arts Awards||Minister of Culture, Sports, and Tourism’s Commendation||N/A||Won|||
- Ghim, Sora (8 July 2015). "Ryu Jun Yeol Joins C-JeS Entertainment". BNTNews. Retrieved 2015-09-08.
- "Ryu Jun-yeol". KOFIC. Retrieved 2016-06-24.
- ‘첫 팬미팅’ 류준열, 학창시절 일화 공개…"부모님이 걱정 많이 하셨다" 왜?. The DongA Ilbo (in Korean). 3 February 2016. Retrieved 2016-06-24.
- '택시' 류준열 "원래 선생님이 꿈..내 일이 아니었다". OSEN (in Korean). 2 February 2016. Retrieved 2016-06-24.
- '소셜포비아' 류준열 하윤경, 차세대 라이징 스타 탄생 예고. 10Asia (in Korean). 26 February 2015.
- "[who are you] 류준열". Cine21 (in Korean). 31 March 2015.
- "Reply 1988 Confirms 8 Actors in Cast Including Girl′s Day′s Hyeri, Ko Kyung Pyo, Park Bo Gum and More". enewsWorld. 18 May 2015. Retrieved 2015-09-08.
- "'Reply' star maintains momentum". Korea JoongAng Daily. 19 February 2016.
- "(Yonhap Interview) 'Reply 1988' actor in no rush to move on". Yonhap News Agency. 22 July 2016.
- Kim, June (29 April 2015). "GLORY DAY Confirms Youth-led Cast". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 2015-09-08.
- "Ryu Jun-yeol turns abusive in 'No Tomorrow'". The Korea Times. 15 February 2016.
- "Hwang Jung-eum and Ryu Jun-yeol return with 'Lucky Romance'". The Korea Herald. 25 May 2016.
- "'Reply 1988' actor says 'lucky' to work with actress Hwang Jung-eum". Yonhap News Agency. 25 May 2016.
- "Ryu Jun-yeol to join blockbuster movie cast". The Korea Times. 21 January 2016. Retrieved 2016-06-24.
- "'Guardian,' 'The Handmaiden' win big at Baeksang Awards". The Korea Herald. 4 May 2017.
- "Ryu Jun-yeol to star in 'Taxi Driver' with Song Kang-ho". The Korea Herald. 3 May 2016.
- "'A Taxi Driver' surpasses 8 mln in attendance, becoming most-viewed film this year". Yonhap News Agency. 14 August 2017.
- Jin, Min-ji (23 August 2016). "'Silent Witness' remake adds to A-list cast". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2017-04-26.
- "YIM Soon-rye's Little Forest Finishes Shooting: Movie will star MOON So-ri, KIM Tae-ri, and RYU Jun-yeol". Korean Film Biz Zone. 9 November 2017.
- "Director LEE Hae-young Readies for DRUG WAR". Korean Film Biz Zone. 3 July 2017.
- "Ryu Jun-yeol just keeps making hits : The 'A Taxi Driver' star is back with another blockbuster performance". Korea JoongAng Daily. 29 May 2018.
- "Ryu Jun-yeol to star in hit-and-run unit police film". Kpop Herald. 28 November 2017.
- "For Ryu Jun-yeol, a chance to show off his need for speed: In 'Hit-and-Run Squad,' the actor plays a police officer specializing in cars". Korea JoongAng Daily. 31 January 2019.
- "MONEY to Cash In in March RYU Jun-yeol and YOO Ji-tae Lead Showbox Financial Thriller". Korean Film Biz Zone. 1 February 2019.
- "RYU Jun-yeol and YOO Hae-jin Prepare for BATTLE". Korean Film Biz Zone. 28 August 2018.
- "Kim Tae-ri, Ryu Jun-yeol to Reunite in Sci-Fi Flick". The Chosun Ilbo. 28 August 2019.
- Park Jung-sun (19 December 2018). 류준열, 환경단체 그린피스에 1000만원 기부. IS Plus (in Korean).
- 로봇소리 개봉, 어남류 류준열 캐스팅 비화 공개…분량 적어 아쉽다. Chosun Biz (in Korean). 17 January 2016.
- '계춘할망' 류준열, 파마에 문신까지 '강렬한 존재감'. JoongAng Ilbo (in Korean). 25 April 2016.
- '양치기들' 류준열·김종수, 짧지만 강렬한 존재감. My Daily (in Korean). 19 May 2016.
- [인물탐구] '응팔' 류준열, 여심 사냥꾼의 필모 캐보기. Sports Seoul (in Korean). 29 November 2015.
- "'Youth Over Flowers' heads to Namibia". The Korea Herald. 19 February 2016.
- "Traveler' captures glimpse of backpacking". The Korea Times. 24 February 2019.
- 응답하라 1988 결방 류준열 과거 클래지콰이 뮤비 '눈빛+턱선 살아있네'. Segye (in Korean). 2 January 2016.
- "이정현, KAFA가 선정한 여배우..경국지색상 수상". Star News (in Korean). 11 September 2015.
- '대세' 류준열-박나래, '2016 대한민국 퍼스트브랜드대상' 특별상 수상. inews24 (in Korean). 22 January 2016.
- "Actor Ryu Jun-yeol snags rookie award". Yonhap News Agency. 26 February 2016.
- "Chunsa Film Art Awards 2016 Nominees". Hancinema. 4 April 2016. Retrieved 2016-06-24.
- "Park Hae-jin wins best actor at cable awards". The Korea Times. 25 March 2016. Retrieved 2016-06-24.
- "52nd Baeksang Arts Awards 2016 Winners in Dramas". Hancinema. 3 March 2016. Retrieved 2016-06-24.
- "tvN10 Awards' full list of winners". The Korea Herald. 10 October 2016.
- 류준열, '2016 아시아 아티스트 어워즈' 드라마 부문 신인상 수상. Wow TV (in Korean). 16 November 2016.
- "[패셔니스타 어워즈①] TV 패션 1위 류준열이 말하는 심쿵유발 남친룩의 비결은 "심플"". Sports Chosun (in Korean). 12 December 2016.
- "[MBC 연기대상] 남주혁·류준열, 남자 신인상 수상 "소중한 상 감사"". 10Asia (in Korean). 30 December 2016.
- [10월 13일 제26회 시상식] 부일영화상 미리 보기 키워드 (in Korean). Retrieved 2017-08-27.
- '서울어워즈' 송강호·나문희·지성·박보영 주연상…·'박열'·'비숲' 대상[종합]. TV Report (in Korean). 27 October 2017.
- "올해는 누구?" 2017 패셔니스타 어워즈, 더욱 뜨겁게 돌아온다. Naver (in Korean). 13 October 2017.
- "Kim Hee Sun & EXO win Grand Prize Awards at the 2017 Asia Artist Awards". KBS World. 16 November 2017.
- 제23회 춘사영화제 5월18일 개최..홍상수·김민희 참석하나. Newsen (in Korean). 3 May 2018.
- 차태현, 김태리 청소년이 뽑은 인기스타. Gg Ilbo (in Korean). 1 November 2018.
- "BTS win the Daesang at Asia Artist Awards 2018 – and are among Artists Of The Year". Metro. November 28, 2018.
- Conran, Pierce (24 May 2019). "RYU Jun-yeol to Receive Rising Star Asia Award at NYAFF". Korean Film Biz Zone.
- "Korea Gold Awards honors winners". Korea JoongAng Daily. 31 July 2019.
- "양희은X김혜자 문화훈장 받는다, 송가인 NCT127 등 장관표창". Newsen (in Korean). October 22, 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ryu Jun-yeol.|