|Olympic medal record|
|1928 Amsterdam||Team sabre|
Early and personal life
Gombos was the Hungarian sabre champion in 1930.
At the European Championships (predecessor to the World Championships), Gombos won gold medals in Individual Sabre at the 1926, 1927, 1930, and 1931 events and gold medals in Team Sabre at the 1930 and 1931 events.
He won a gold medal in Team Sabre at the 1928 Summer Olympics in Amsterdam, in which the Hungarian team went undefeated. He finished in fifth place in Individual Sabre, winning 8 of his 11 matches.
Gombos fought a duel in 1937 with a fencing instructor, which was reported in the Hungarian press.
Hall of Fame
- "Sándor Gombos Olympic Results". sports-reference.com. Archived from the original on 2020-04-17. Retrieved 2010-04-27.
- Jews in the Gym: Judaism, Sports, and Athletics
- SÃ¡ndor Gombos Bio, Stats, and Results | Olympics at Sports-Reference.com
- "Gombos, Sandor". Jews in Sports. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Wayback Machine
- "Elected Members". International Jewish Sports Hall of Fame. Retrieved 24 April 2015.