São Jorge dos Órgãos
|São Jorge dos Órgãos|
Outside São Jorge
|Municipality||São Lourenço dos Órgãos|
|Civil parish||São Lourenço dos Órgãos|
|Elevation||319 m (1,047 ft)|
São Jorge dos Órgãos is a settlement in the central part of the island of Santiago, Cape Verde and is part of the São Lourenço dos Órgãos municipality. Its 2010 population was 6. It is situated 4 km southeast of Picos and its elevation is 319 meters. It has access with Rui Vaz but only on foot, auto access is carried via João Teves and São Domingos.
About the village
The Órgaos, a small mountain range are to the east and has a towering peak elevating over 600 meters, the ranges go north to south and the rest of the area is about 3 km wide.
The Orgãos rock formation covers the area east of the village, the westernmost areas are in the Pico da Antónia formation, these formations could be around 4 million years old.
It is home to the Jardim Botânico (Botanical Garden), the only one in Cape Verde. There is also an experimental station known as the School of Agricultural Sciences and Environment and forms a part of the University of Cape Verde, an agricultural research institute funded by the Department of Rural Development, until 2008, it was the Instituto Nacional de Investigação e Desenvolvimento Agrário. Also there is a secondary school or gymnasium named Carlos Alberto Gonçalves. At the gymnasium, it hosted a conference on World Climate on January 28, 2010.
Panoramics include Pico da Antónia in the west as well as its mountain ranges especially Monte Tchota.
Its notable festival is the festival of Saint George (São Jorge), locally as Nhô São Jorge every year on May 10.
- "2010 Census results". Instituto Nacional de Estatística Cabo Verde (in Portuguese). 17 March 2014.
- Furtado, Amândio; Negreiros, João (2010). "Modelação espacial da temperatura na ilha de Santiago, Cabo Verde, com o GeoStatistical Analyst" (PDF) (in Portuguese). Captar. p. 1.
- Holm, P. M. (2008). An 40Ar-39Ar study of the Cape Verde hot spot: temporal evolution in a semistationary plate environment. 113. J. Geophys. Res. p. B08201.
- Jardim Botânico de Cabo Verde
- Ministério do Desenvolvimento Rural
- "Escola Secundária "Carlos Alberto Gonçalves", em São Jorge dos Órgãos, promove conferência sobre as mudanças climáticas" [Carlos Alberto Gonçalves Secodary School Hosts a Conference on World Climate]. RTC (in Portuguese). 28 January 2010.
- Batalha, Helena R.; Wright, David J.; Barr, Iain; Collar, Nigel J.; Richardson, David S. (2017-04-01). "Genetic diversity and divergence in the endangered Cape Verde warbler Acrocephalus brevipennis". Conservation Genetics. 18 (2): 343–357. ISSN 1566-0621. doi:10.1007/s10592-016-0909-3.
- [null Garcia-del-Rey E (2016) Birds of the Cape Verde Islands. Sociedad Ornitologica Canaria, Barcelona, Spain.]
- "São Jorge dos Órgãos comemora o santo padroeiro". RTC (in Portuguese).
- Gerald M. Moser, Changing Africa : the first literary generation of Independent Cape Verde, American Philosophical Society, Philadelphia, 1992, p. 17-18
- "GDR São Lourenço". Final Ball. Retrieved 26 August 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to São Jorge dos Órgãos.|