São Miguel, Cape Verde
|• Total||77.4 km2 (29.9 sq mi)|
|• Density||200/km2 (520/sq mi)|
São Miguel is a concelho (municipality) of Cape Verde. It is situated in the northeastern part of the island of Santiago. Its seat is the town Calheta de São Miguel. Its population was 15,630 at the 2010 census. More than a third live in the urban agglomeration of Calheta de São Miguel, more than half live within the Atlantic shoreline.
The municipality consists of one freguesia (civil parish), São Miguel Arcanjo. The freguesia is subdivided into the following settlements:
- Achada Bolanha (pop:1000)
- Achada Monte (pop: 1,652)
- Calheta de São Miguel (pop: 3,175)
- Casa Branca (pop: 73)
- Chã de Ponta (pop: 220)
- Cutelo Gomes (pop: 658)
- Espinho Branco (pop: 869)
- Gongon (pop: 207)
- Igreja (pop: 325)
- Machado (pop: 130)
- Mato Correia (pop: 328)
- Monte Bode (pop: 118)
- Monte Pousada (pop: 486)
- Palha Carga de Ribeira Principal (pop: 375)
- Pedra Barro (pop: 259)
- Pedra Serrado (pop: 484)
- Pilão Cão (pop: 1,132)[a]
- Pingo Chuva (pop: 63)
- Ponta Verde (pop: 1,065)
- Principal, sometimes as Ribeira Principal (pop: 1,193)
- Ribeira Milho (hamlet)
- Ribeireta (pop: 215)
- Tagarra (pop: 669)
- Varanda (pop: 445)
- Veneza (pop: 1,375), also known as Veneza da Calheta
- Xaxa (pop: 1,375)
- Sometimes known as Ribeira de Pilão Cão as there is a Pilão Cão east in the island of Maio
The municipality was created in 1991, when a parish of the older Municipality of Tarrafal was separated to become the Municipality of São Miguel. Its first president was elected in 1996.
|Population of São Miguel (1990—2010)|
Since 2008, the Movement for Democracy (MpD) is in power in the municipality. In the 2016 municipal elections which took place in September, Meno Fernandes won with an absolute majority and became president.
At the federal level, it belongs to the constituency of Santiago North.
AJAC, Desportivo da Calheta and Flor Jovem are the municipality's soccer club, its football (soccer) stadium is northwest of the municipal seat in the village of Veneza and is Estádio da Calheta, another club and newly created is ADEC also based in the town, it started off in the Santiago North Zone Second Division.
- Teodoro Mendes Tavares, current bishop of a diocese in Brazil
- Official website (in Portuguese)
- Câmara Municipal de São Miguel
- ANMCV (Associação Nacional dos Municípios Cabo-Verdianos - National Association of the Capeverdean Municipalities)