São Miguel das Missões
|Jesuit Missions of the Guaranis: San Ignacio Mini, Santa Ana, Nuestra Señora de Loreto and Santa Maria la Mayor (Argentina), Ruins of Sao Miguel das Missoes (Brazil)|
|Name as inscribed on the World Heritage List|
|UNESCO region||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Inscription||1983 (7th Session)|
Mission São Miguel das Missões
The Museu das Missões (Museum Mission) is a history museum located in São Miguel Mission.
The creation of the museum was one of the first initiatives of the Office of Historical and Artistic Heritage, today IPHAN. In 1937 the SPHAN was created and in the same year, the architect Lucio Costa was sent to Rio Grande do Sul to analyze the remains of the ruins of the Seven Peoples of the Missions, and propose measures. One of his proposals was to create a museum to house the statues missionary dispersed throughout the region. In 1938, the remnants of the town of San Miguel and the museum building were listed as National Heritage, and in 1940 , the Museum of the Missions was officially established.
Between 1938 and 1940, the architect Lucas Mayerhofer directed the stabilization works in the mission Church of San Miguel, the construction of the museum building, and was in charge of gathering the works of statuary.
Currently listed in the museum's collection are religious images from the time of installation of the Jesuit missions in the region.
- Area of the City
- 1246 km²
- 7,682 inhabitants.
- Spanish Jesuit Missions of the Guaranis-related topics
- Governorate of Paraguay
- Misiones Orientales
- Governorate of the Río de la Plata
- Viceroyalty of the Río de la Plata
- Translated Portuguese Wikipedia article: Archaeological Site of St. Michael the Archangel—English translation.
- List of World Heritage Sites, UNESCO
- Translated Portuguese Wikipedia article: Archaeological Museum Mission−Museu das Missões—English translation.
- Translated Portuguese Wikipedia article: Archaeological Sculpture Ruins of the Seven Peoples of the Missions—English translation.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to São Miguel das Missões.|
|This geographical article relating to Rio Grande do Sul is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|