Cesária Évora Airport
|Cesária Évora Airport
Aeroporto Internacional Cesária Évora
|Operator||Aeroportos Segurança Aérea (ASA)|
|Location||São Vicente, Cape Verde|
|Hub for||TACV Cabo Verde Airlines|
|Elevation AMSL||66 ft / 20 m|
Cesária Évora Airport (Portuguese Aeroporto Internacional Cesária Évora) (IATA: VXE, ICAO: GVSV) is Cape Verde's third most-used airport located on the island of São Vicente, located nearly 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) from the centre of Mindelo. It is located in the valley area in the west of the island and is north of the village of São Pedro.
Its runway is 1,975 meters long and its width is 45 meters.
The airport was inaugurated in 1960. The airport was officially renamed after the highly acclaimed singer Cesária Évora on March 8, 2012.
After the closure of Santo Antão's Agostinho Neto Airport in the late-2000s, the airport started to serve with Santo Antão and continues today as no plans of that island's new airport have been made.
Work began on May 31, 2005 to turn Cesária Évora Airport (then São Pedro Airport) into an international airport. Included, the enlargement of the terminal size to 11,000 m² and handle about 5,000 passengers an hour, also the runway was extended by a few hundred metres towards the north. On December 22, 2009 the Cesária Évora Airport became the newest international airport in Cape Verde, it was opened by the then Prime Minister José Maria Neves, along with Manuel Inocêncio Sousa the minister of Infrastructure, Transportation and Telecommunications and Isaura Gomes, president of the São Vicente, thousands visited the reopening. It has a modern terminal of about 11,000 square meters and has the capacity to process about 500 passengers an hour. The runway, at 1,975 meters long and 45 meters wide, is illuminated.
Airlines and destinations
operated by Binter CV
|Cabo Verde Express||Charter: Sal|
|Corendon Dutch Airlines||Seasonal: Amsterdam|
|SmartLynx||Seasonal: Paris-Charles de Gaulle|
Seasonal: Amsterdam, Paris-Charles de Gaulle
|TAP Air Portugal||Lisbon|
|TUI fly Netherlands||Amsterdam|
- "Movement of Planes, Passengers and Cargos at Airports" (PDF) (in Portuguese). ASA. 31 December 2016. Retrieved 17 February 2017.
- "Expansion of São Vicente airport" (in Portuguese). A Semana via RTC. 31 May 2005. Retrieved 16 February 2017.
- "Relative Statistics in Airports" (PDF) (in Portuguese). ASA. 1 April 2014. Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- "Statistics in Airports" (PDF) (in Portuguese). ASA. 1 October 2013. Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- "Article at A Semana" (in Portuguese).
- Airport information for GVSV at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- Cesária Évora International Airport
- TACV website
|This article about an airport in Cape Verde is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|