São Salvador do Mundo, Cape Verde
|São Salvador do Mundo|
|• Total||26.5 km2 (10.2 sq mi)|
|• Density||330/km2 (840/sq mi)|
São Salvador do Mundo is a concelho (municipality) of Cape Verde. It is situated in the central part of the island of Santiago. Its seat is the city Picos. Its population was 8,643 at the 2010 census. As of 2008, its president represented the African Party for the Independence of Cape Verde (PAICV).
Along with bordering São Lourenço dos Órgãos, they are the only two landlocked municipalities in Cape Verde.
Its rock formation located near Picos is around the area, the etymology can also refer to its nearby mountain range of Pico da Antónia, it includes parts of the eastern part of the ranges. The municipality has a dam named Faveta, completed in July 19, 2013 along with the island's other two dams. When Hurricane Fred in August and September, its rains filled all of its dam to maximum capacity and prompted residents from adjacent areas to evacuate.
The only football (soccer) club in the municipality is União dos Picos, based in the municipal seat but is the club of the whole municipality. The club is part of the Santiago Island League (North).
The municipality consists of one freguesia (civil parish), São Salvador do Mundo. The freguesia are subdivided into the following settlements, its population data was of the 2010 census:
- Aboboreiro (pop: 532)
- Achada Leitão (pop: 1,160)
- Babosa (pop: 183)
- Burbur (pop: 131)
- Covão Grande (pop: 478)
- Degredo (pop: 148)
- Djéu (pop: 90)
- Faveta (pop: 247)
- Jalalo Ramos (pop: 239)
- Junco (pop: 266)
- Leitão Grande (pop: 927)
- Leitãozinho (pop: 460)
- Manhanga (pop: 177)
- Mato Fortes (pop: 179)
- Mato Limão (pop: 134)
- Pico Freire (pop: 546)
- Picos (also: Achada Igreja, pop: 986, city)
- Picos Acima (Chão Vaz) (pop: 1,489)
- Purgueira (pop: 217)
- Rebelo Acima (pop: 54)
It was created in 2005, when a parish of the older Municipality of Santa Catarina was separated to become the Municipality of São Salvador do Mundo.
|Population of São Salvador do Mundo (2000—2010)|
At the federal level, it belongs to the constituency of Santiago North. Since 2016, the Movement for Democracy (MpD) is the ruling party of the municipality. The results of the latest elections, in 2016:
|Party||Municipal Council||Municipal Assembly|
- ANMCV (Associação Nacional dos Municípios Cabo-Verdianos - National Association of the Capeverdean Municipalities)
- "2010 Census results". Instituto Nacional de Estatística Cabo Verde (in Portuguese). 24 November 2016.
- "Barragem de Faveta, a menina dos olhos de São Salvador do Mundo" [Barragem de Faveta, a Tiny Dam for All of São Salvador do Mundo]. A Semana (in Portuguese). 20 July 2013. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Chuvas fazem transbordar barragens de Faveta e de Canto de Cagarra". A Semana (in Portuguese). Praia. 2 September 2015. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- Cabo Verde, Statistical Yearbook 2015, Instituto Nacional de Estatística, p. 32-33
- Source: projections from the Instituto Nacional de Estatísticas[permanent dead link].
- Official results local elections 2016, Boletim Oficial I Série, Número 53, 23 September 2016